• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Adopt a first timer??

goforlow

I was thinking the other day. Yes, I know that this is dangerous!!

But, we all were a bit...scared, fearful, nervous, the first time we opened carried. So, how about a list of people, by regions, who are willing to "adopt a first timer" to help lessen the fear on their "first time out"?

Just post screen name's of "seasoned carriers" so "first timers" can PM us and set up a time to talk and meet for their "first open carry".

I know there are 5 or 6 people in the Chippewa Valley area that would do this. I am sure that most if not all the Wisconsin Carry Inc members state wide would do this. So, am I out of my mind to want to have a list made available on OCDO?

*****EDIT*****

Here will be a list for experienced open carriers willing to help out first timers.

Experienced open carriers, please make a post here with your area (about 50 miles from home) if not listed and the city you live in. This is so the "first timer" can see your post and PM you for help. I will make a single list in this post with all the area's and name's for each area.

If you would like someone with prior experience "open carrying" please PM or email a person in your local area.

Area: Chippewa Valley
goforlow - Eau Claire

Area: Trempealeau
BROKENSPROCKET - Independence

Area: LaCrosse
bnhcomputers - Onalaska - this person will travel within 30 miles of LaCrosse to help
Johnny amish - Viroqua
Serpent - West Salem
Hardballer - Buffalo City
CUOfficer - LaCrosse
JJC - LaCrosse

Area: Madison
motofixxer - Madison
Plankton - Sun Prairie
cowboyridn - Madison
GlockRDH - Pardeeville

Area: Milwaukee
Wisconsin Carry - Chairman (Nik) - Milwaukee Nik@wisconsincarry.org
MKEgal - Milwaukee
protias - Sussex
TaurusToter West Bend

Area: Racine
Mugenlude - Racine

Area: Green Bay
Glock34 - Green Bay

Area: Stevens Point/Portage

Area: Tomah
kd6sxa - Norwalk
Mlutz - Tomah

Area: Fond du Lac
stewarthgusmc - Eden

Area: Hudson
countrymama - Boyceville

Area: Janesville
gunguy2009 - Janesville
civilwarguy -Elkhorn

Last edited:

goforlow

imported post

I'm not talking about a list that reads...My name is Bill Smith. I live at 123 Main St, Madison. My phone number is 111-111-1111. I carry a big 45 all the time.

This is an example of what I am suggesting:

If you would like someone with prior experience "open carrying" please PM or email a person in your local area.

goforlow - Eau Claire

xxxxxxx - West Salem

yyyyyyy - Sun Praire

zzzzzzz - Greenfield

Nothing specific just screen names of people willing to help.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

goforlow wrote:
I'm not talking about a list that reads...My name is Bill Smith. I live at 123 Main St, Madison. My phone number is 111-111-1111. I carry a big 45 all the time.

This is an example of what I am suggesting:

goforlow - Eau Claire

xxxxxxx - West Salem

yyyyyyy - Sun Praire

zzzzzzz - Greenfield

Nothing specific just screen names of people willing to help.
put me down for anywhere within 50 - miles of La Crosse, WI inclusive.

Mlutz

Put me down for anyone in the Tomah Area. And does anyone know if there are still places in Wisconsin that open carry gets you arested?

I should be in Tomah this afternoon. I think I have said this before, but I have never had a problem in tomah. I wouldnt mind helping someone with the "first time carry" there either.

hardballer

It probably would be nice to have a list of screen names willing to meet and greet and take the time to initiate a new OCer to the fold. Maybe put all willing screen names along with an area of travel [example: Hardballer - 30 miles around Buffalo City WI. and make the screen name a link to the the person's PM. A list does not scare me to much. If "they" don't know who I am by now, they never will.

goforlow

Thank you to all the LaCrosse area folks. 5 people already! Thank you to all on the list!

The rest of you not of the list... is there something about this list that scares you? Help me understand, so we can help others.

holdcard

why be scared?

Unfortunately, the state I live in, Florida, does not permit open carry. If it did, I would carry anywhere it was legal to do so. My question is: If a person is so scared to open carry for the first time, and needs someone to hold their hand to do so, what makes them think they would be willing and able to use the firearm, should the need arise? Is open carry just a means to look cool? If a person is evil enough, they really could care less if they see a gun. They will just be quicker to overpower you, or come at you when you are not looking. To me, even if you open carry, you still need to remain vigil of events taking place around you. Thoughts anyone?