• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

African americans open carrying

hermannr

The same where I live, there is one black up here (I think he is one of about 10 in the county) Now, Native Americans, that is a different story...:D

Anyway, hustleman, there are two ways to handle your situation (other than tolorate it). One I like and works, and the just works.

I would try to approach the offending officers superiors, and suggest they give their officers a bit of training on the finer points of equal protection under the law.. Especially as to concern the right to carry.

Have a Lawyer in your back pocket, one that will work with you pro bono, so if you obtain a poor reception from your personal visit, a letter from your Lawyer to the COP and the city council members may be needed.

There are a lot of good decent lawyers out there that will handle a problem like yours for free. There are a lot of greedy lawyers out there too, except their motivation is $$$$ and the first thing they will want to do is go to court...not necessarily the proper thing to do, but then again, it may be what is necessary.

The second way is to lodge a Federal complaint. You are not obtaining equal protection under the Law, it would be your right to do so. (but, not necessarily the right way to go for you.) Just remember, when you file a Federal complaint against people like you are talking about, you are not only doing it for you, but for everyother person they may "select" as the out of favor group of the day down the road.

Last edited:

eye95

I think you missed his point. He lives in Maine. He fears white people more than black people because he probably goes days at a time without seeing a single black person.

That is not a reason to fear white people more. Possibly it is a reason to experience the fear more often. But that is not what he said. His precise words indicate that his fear reaction to white people is greater than his fear reaction to black people. I stand by my judgment of skin color as the basis for the amount of fear one feels as being silly

sudden valley gunner

That is not a reason to fear white people more. Possibly it is a reason to experience the fear more often. But that is not what he said. His precise words indicate that his fear reaction to white people is greater than his fear reaction to black people. I stand by my judgment of skin color as the basis for the amount of fear one feels as being silly

I'm on his ignore list so he probably won't see this.

It is Silly Eye.

But in my experience it is the fake middle class white wannabe's you gotta fear more than the media's stereotypical 'gang banger' of color.

I don't think it is a "race" thing, but think it is more of a class of folks who in trying to get 'street cred' are unaware and totally ignorant of the lines that many of us who grew up in bad neighborhoods know not to cross.

I know it is totally unrealistic but it does make a point in a funny sarcastic way is the movie "Malibu's Most Wanted".

Gunslinger

I'm on his ignore list so he probably won't see this.

It is Silly Eye.

But in my experience it is the fake middle class white wannabe's you gotta fear more than the media's stereotypical 'gang banger' of color.

I don't think it is a "race" thing, but think it is more of a class of folks who in trying to get 'street cred' are unaware and totally ignorant of the lines that many of us who grew up in bad neighborhoods know not to cross.

I know it is totally unrealistic but it does make a point in a funny sarcastic way is the movie "Malibu's Most Wanted".

I prefer not to fear anyone. The Browning Hi-Power or SIG 1911 I carry goes a long way towards achieving this preference: hence, the purpose of this website. Profiling will not go away. DWB or DWL are too ingrained. A shame, but a reality that must be accepted as such and then changed.

BaconMan

Exercise your rights people

This is an interesting topic, but I do believe that anyone that is a US Citizen should exercise their right(s) to the fullest as long as their right(s) does not infringe upon the right(s) of others. I would tell anyone of any group to know and understand what they are getting into before they partake in an endeavor such as open carry. I would tell anyone to know your community (neighbors, friends and local law enforcement) and know the law.

With all that being said, I would tell a person of any minority group to understand what can and will happen and how you will be viewed by the general public that do not know you. I would tell a minority person to not get discouraged or upset but to know the law and how to interpret it in simple terms for anyone they may come into contact with in their daily travels. Also, smile at those around you and dress appropriately. Stay safe.....

Dreamer

Much of Gun control started much as a 'racial' issue and some of our major recent victories in court have been by men of African heritage. Keep up the fine fight!

Let me step in here and correct your statement, "Sudden"...

"ALL of Gun Control started as a "racial" issue..."

I have yet to find a SINGLE "gun control" law on the books--local, state, or Federal--that does not have it's foundation based in limiting access to firearms to minorities of some sort.

Every single "gun control" law in the US--to a one--is based in racist sentiments.

The Pro-2A movement IS the "new civil rights movement"...

Dreamer

I myself am an african american and as much as I hate to claim the race card, it holds true in open carry situations.

Welcome to OCDO, "hustleman". Sorry to hear about your difficulties in GA, but hopefully we can help you here on OCDO. There are some VERY good folks here, and we will try and help you as best we can.

You should subscribe to Kenn Blanchard's Podcast. He's funny, intelligent, and is particularly qualified to speak to your specific situation with authority (since he, too is a BMWAG, who lives in the People's Republic of Maryland).

http://kennblanchard.com/category/urban-shooter-2/us1

KansasMustang

I spent 25 years US Army, I already knew that men of all races bleed the same color-RED. I was raised by parents and grand-parents that told me, live by the golden rule and you can't go wrong. I'm not going to use the cop-out phrase used by the intelligentsia liberals that "some of my best friends are.." I just know that when I greet anyone with "Sir" or "Ma'am", like I was taught at a very early age, it generally gets me the same response. In the Army it was easy, look at a mans collar, if you out-rank him treat him with respect due his rank. If he outranks you,,salute him.
I also know, and despise that not all were raised as was I. I don't get shook up by seeing ANYONE open carrying a firearm. That's easy, what criminal is going to open carry? How stupid can some Cops be? I know,,because I am in Law Enforcement. Some of em can be pretty dang dumb.
I still think that one of the smartest men I ever heard said it best. Judge a man by the context of his character, not the color of his skin.

Coniferous

Sounds to me like you have a very good chance of "winning the lottery" and paying for your kids college.

Keep the recorder handy and stay safe :)

michaelm_ski

Race issue

Sometimes you just can't stop stupid , maybe you could try and ask to talk with the county prosecutor about the stops or go to the police chief with a lawer . Best wishes and keep on carrying openly :D

BoomerQ

Disparity of Force

I am a Canadian born Pakistani American. I proudly OC daily when I am not working on the IL side of the Mississippi River. No where yet in Iowa have I been challenged by LEO. I practice twice a week and only once have I seen an African descent shooter. I feel that more persons of color need to. I appreciate the equalizing factor that OCing of my .45 provides...I would like to think that people understand that unlawful people do not OC, police included.

Chris Rock put out a comical video called " How not to get your (butt) kicked by the police". Funny, yet sadly true. All of us should be ready to protect ourselves. I am not a big man, and are very ill too. I take medicine to protect my heart. My 1911 is to protect the rest. That is why I open carry.

Last edited:

Packer fan

My $.02

I once had a woman ask me, "how do I (her) tell who is a rapist or murderer?" I told her you can't so always carry.

If the race card is true then it's true. I understand that everyone has their prejudices, I'll be the first person to admit it. If a person looks, dresses or acts a cretin way my alarms goes off. I don't go to cretin cities or neighborhoods because of the crime rate, but if I see the same person OCing I automatically assume he's a friend; why, because it's the criminals who hide and slink around. I presume the person openly showing their firearm is saying I'm a rattle snake don't mess with me and I won't mess with you.

The problem I think lies with the officers training and mind set. Some (not all) see everyone through the prism of everyone is a criminal until proven otherwise, and that they (LEO's) should be the only one able to carry and do it openly. It's human nature to become cynical when you work with the worst of society day in and day out. We demand that LOE's prevent crime because we (as a whole) are to lazy or to afraid to protect ourselves, but they can't ever prevent crime; so they become bullies in the name of public safety.

Keep carrying because someday I may need your help.

I will say this: there is no such thing as "races" only the human race. There maybe different family groups but we are all sinners in need of the saving grace of Jesus.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I don't go to cretin cities or neighborhoods because of the crime rate,
What an entertaining kerfuffle there was a few years ago as the significance of that word was realized. "Because of its pejorative connotations in popular speech, health-care workers have mostly abandoned cretin." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretinism) That said, I too avoid certain cities for similar reasons.

since9

Campaign Veteran
My First Thoughts...

And I will not legitimize this thread with any other response.

WHAT "AA"'s are you talking about?

This is AMERICA!!! Land of the free, and home of the brave. We've had ENOUGH comments about "african" this or that to fill our gut to busting, particularly as our numbers come from ALL continents! We've grown up and worked with blacks and all OTHER races all our live-long days, so your making a mountain out of a molehill strikes us as "opportunistic."

Please: GROW THE **** UP. We're human beings. Grow a brain. I'm sick and tired of seeing racist **** being presented as the crux of an argument when it has NOTHING to to with the issue at hand.

Dear ABC/CBS/NBC/MSNBC/AP: KNOCK IT OFF. We're sick and tired of your jack-wipe leftist politics that everyone here in America can see straight through with open and rather disgusted eyes.

I can't ask you to grow a brain, as the substrate remains very unripe. See you in about twenty years? Ok, yes - until then. In the meantime, we'll see you in the history books while we go on with the business of recovering our country from the single most detrimental dictator we've ever seen.

the_hustleman

And I will not legitimize this thread with any other response.

WHAT "AA"'s are you talking about?

This is AMERICA!!! Land of the free, and home of the brave. We've had ENOUGH comments about "african" this or that to fill our gut to busting, particularly as our numbers come from ALL continents! We've grown up and worked with blacks and all OTHER races all our live-long days, so your making a mountain out of a molehill strikes us as "opportunistic."

Please: GROW THE **** UP. We're human beings. Grow a brain. I'm sick and tired of seeing racist **** being presented as the crux of an argument when it has NOTHING to to with the issue at hand.

Dear ABC/CBS/NBC/MSNBC/AP: KNOCK IT OFF. We're sick and tired of your jack-wipe leftist politics that everyone here in America can see straight through with open and rather disgusted eyes.

I can't ask you to grow a brain, as the substrate remains very unripe. See you in about twenty years? Ok, yes - until then. In the meantime, we'll see you in the history books while we go on with the business of recovering our country from the single most detrimental dictator we've ever seen.

So if race isn't the issue, then why do I get stopped for OCing but my white friends never do?

If you have such a brain, it would help if you used it to read, and then think about what you say before you say it.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

H

Herr Heckler Koch

So if race isn't the issue, then why do I get stopped for OCing but my white friends never do?

If you have such a brain, it would help if you used it to read, and then think about what you say before you say it.
Wrong company, men being known by the company that they keep. Friends make you better for their friendship than not having it.

the_hustleman

Wrong company, men being known by the company that they keep. Friends make you better for their friendship than not having it.

Explain that one. My company doesn't get checked, they don't even get a second glance, but I get checked, detained, my permit called in, yet I'm coming from a job interview, so you can't say it's my style of dress, (and the white guy I met up with just woresat shirt and shorts with biker tattoos) I speak well, you can't say it's my dialect, only thing left to judge me on is my skin color.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Stanley

You know what it is and I know what it is.

What you are going to find is that some here will empathize with you and are seemingly (don't know anyone here in real life :D ) good people. Others are going to flip out as soon as you mention anything about race (yet you'll see race mentioned by them negatively as much if not more). Some people are just uncomfortable with the discussion. It's whatever. People are all different. Don't take it personally.

I am also black but as of yet I haven't had a bad LEO interaction. Though I am in northern VA which is definitely NOT Georgia. I have had plenty of "typical" interactions as a young, black male in east Texas though.

Don't worry about the naysayers. Like I said, you and I and a couple of million other folks know what is going on.

On the flip-side however, it IS happening to everyone. Something I was not aware of until I came to OCDO. While some cops may be targeting people because of race, creed, religion, nationality or whatever, many more seem to be targeting anyone that dares to exercise their rights in any manner.

There are a large group of people here that are actively fighting against the police trampling on rights. Perhaps you, and others can roll your experiences into the varied experiences of the people here and present a unified front? Authorities tend to lose it when people of multiple nationalities, races, creeds and religions work together. Plus... It's fun!

Last edited:

LiberalOCarrier

I myself am an african american and as much as I hate to claim the race card, it holds true in open carry situations.

I've been places with a white friend and we both open carried and law enforcement felt the need to detain me, seize my gun, THEN check my permit (in that order). But my white friend was not treated this way. His permit wasn't even checked.

Just to give a little extra information, that day I was coming from a job interview, I was clean shaven, neat, wearing slacks, shirt, and tie, so I did not present the gangster hoodlum image, at least not in my view.

I've once been pulled off of a train by 5 leos, stripped of my gun, slammed against the wall and humiliated only to find that I was in possession of a very valid permit (weapons carry license as it's known as in georgia).

I've had 911 called on me, even joined blackgunowners.org and was told that my experience was the norm for a man of color.

Any other black men or women here have any oc experiences?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!

I live in Indy and I OC all day, everyday except for when I'm at work. I havn't had any problems as of yet and I've been OCing for about four months. I've walked by cops, sat by cops while eating lunch, and carry with confidence. Just get a firm understanding of your state laws for carrying and use them accordingly. I actually moved from GA to IN. Cops in GA are jerks anyway!