• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

After gallery OC ban blind democrat now wants total ban at Capitol campus

Alpine

Proving yet again that OC is a buffer that keeps CC legal after the state legislature banned OC from the galleries they are now going after ALL guns except for their hired muscle.

http://www.examiner.com/article/kir...o-make-capitol-legislative-buildings-gun-free

Call up this blind guy and help him "see the light" that disarming regular citizens isn't how you solve problems and that people shouldn't have to give up their rights just to visit their own government.

(360) 786-7694

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
Proving yet again that OC is a buffer that keeps CC legal after the state legislature banned OC from the galleries they are now going after ALL guns except for their hired muscle.

OC is an opportunity to educate the public about good guys carrying guns. It provides exposure that can result in desensitizing the public to the issue of regular citizens owning and carrying guns in public.

Brandishing, or anything else that starts to approach carrying a gun with intent to intimidate others, can result in political backlash even if the carrying doesn't cross the legal threshold into criminal conduct. As I pointed out when this incident originally happened, the result of the Black Panthers carrying long guns into the gallery of the California legislature was anti-carrying legislation that is really the start of that State's downward slide into the RKBA-hostile regime we know today. None other than Governor Reagan pushed for and signed that legislation.

In brief, carrying a visible gun has great potential to do political and social good in addition to assisting with an effective self-defense. But it also has the potential for undesired political backlash if done irresponsibly.

Obviously, I disagree with restricting the rights of citizens at legislative buildings. CC and OC should both be legal.

Finally, while the article to which you linked had a reason to point out the State Senator Habib's physical disability, there was no reason to do in your OP, and your wordplay on that disability is beneath the decorum that ought to attend to those who support RKBA. It makes it appear as if you are mocking the disability or perhaps simply engaging in some kind of low-brow personal attack rather than sticking to the facts and issues. I'm sure such wasn't your intent. But you may want to rethink and edit your post to avoid conveying that message.

All the best.

Charles

Alpine

OC is an opportunity to educate the public about good guys carrying guns. It provides exposure that can result in desensitizing the public to the issue of regular citizens owning and carrying guns in public.

Brandishing, or anything else that starts to approach carrying a gun with intent to intimidate others, can result in political backlash even if the carrying doesn't cross the legal threshold into criminal conduct. As I pointed out when this incident originally happened, the result of the Black Panthers carrying long guns into the gallery of the California legislature was anti-carrying legislation that is really the start of that State's downward slide into the RKBA-hostile regime we know today. None other than Governor Reagan pushed for and signed that legislation.

In brief, carrying a visible gun has great potential to do political and social good in addition to assisting with an effective self-defense. But it also has the potential for undesired political backlash if done irresponsibly.

Obviously, I disagree with restricting the rights of citizens at legislative buildings. CC and OC should both be legal.

Finally, while the article to which you linked had a reason to point out the State Senator Habib's physical disability, there was no reason to do in your OP, and your wordplay on that disability is beneath the decorum that ought to attend to those who support RKBA. It makes it appear as if you are mocking the disability or perhaps simply engaging in some kind of low-brow personal attack rather than sticking to the facts and issues. I'm sure such wasn't your intent. But you may want to rethink and edit your post to avoid conveying that message.

All the best.

Charles

I agree that the demonstration that led to the gallery ban was crazy but I place the blame for that squarely on WSP. They could have and should have easily arrested those brandishers for .270 violations as occurs elsewhere when people take longguns or pistols into their hands and start sweeping other people with the muzzles.

Also, initially I thought it might be bad taste to bring up Habib's disability but I thought about it and determined it was very relevant because, as he is blind, he cannot use a gun and might even be restricted from obtaining a CPL (not sure about this) and because he cannot use a gun himself he figures he is going to restrict others' rights. It would be like an amputee deciding that everyone else should lose the right to wear shoes just because they don't, only with firearms it's worse since firearms are protected by the national and state Constitutions.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
I agree that the demonstration that led to the gallery ban was crazy but I place the blame for that squarely on WSP. They could have and should have easily arrested those brandishers for .270 violations as occurs elsewhere when people take longguns or pistols into their hands and start sweeping other people with the muzzles.

Whether the failure to enforce the law and keep the peace was a result of malice (to deliberately allow a situation that might support new limits on RKBA) or to incompetence (just not sure how best to handle folks who were rude, but probably not actually dangerous), or something else is probably hard to say for sure. Regardless, the blame for engaging in firearm-related conduct that provides easy ammo to our opponents must always lie with those who choose to engage in that conduct. Had WSP done exactly the best thing possible, it would have still been just a reaction to what self-proclaimed pro-RKBA idiots chose to do.

Put another way, if the Brady Bunch had wanted to damage RKBA they couldn't have chosen a much more effective method than doing exactly what the claimed "pro-RKBA activists" did.

This is the same standard I use to evaluate legislative votes on my RKBA. The guy who votes against me for all the right reasons, has still voted against me. The guy who votes with me only because he is afraid I can cost him his seat next time around has still voted with me. Reasons matter a whole lot less than results.

Also, initially I thought it might be bad taste to bring up Habib's disability but I thought about it and determined it was very relevant because, as he is blind, he cannot use a gun and might even be restricted from obtaining a CPL (not sure about this) and because he cannot use a gun himself he figures he is going to restrict others' rights. It would be like an amputee deciding that everyone else should lose the right to wear shoes just because they don't, only with firearms it's worse since firearms are protected by the national and state Constitutions.

I'm glad that you didn't intend anything untoward with the reference to his disability. But, respectfully, there is a lot of supposition in that explanation. And even if all of it is true, none of it comes across in your OP.

I do not know the requirements of a permit in Washington. In Utah, nothing prevents a person who is "blind" from getting a permit or legally owning or carrying a gun. More than one blind person has learned to use a gun properly for self-defense. Also, bear in mind that "blind" can mean a lot of things, and many who are legally blind can still see sufficient shapes or shadows to effectively use a firearm for self defense beyond arms reach.

I think any who read your OP are prone to see something you didn't intend. Just food for thought.

Charles

golddigger14s

Activist Member
"What's really sad is that Sen. Habib has been attending the annual Sportsmen's Caucus at ESC (range) for many years! He's actually quite a good shot with a spotter helping out." MD from TOS.

EMNofSeattle

Also, initially I thought it might be bad taste to bring up Habib's disability but I thought about it and determined it was very relevant because, as he is blind, he cannot use a gun
says who?
and might even be restricted from obtaining a CPL (not sure about this)
I am sure about this, he may obtain a CPL
and because he cannot use a gun himself he figures he is going to restrict others' rights.
a bit of a leap
It would be like an amputee deciding that everyone else should lose the right to wear shoes just because they don't, only with firearms it's worse since firearms are protected by the national and state Constitutions.

you need better metaphors, no one buys that one.

Last edited: