• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AK vs. AR

Metalhead47

My two cents on effective ranges & why I prefer the AK:

I live in western Washington, which is known for trees. In any kind of SHTF scenario around here, 300+ yard engagements will be extremely rare. Even 100 yard shots wouldn't be that common, unless you're shooting at aircraft, which would be pretty pointless with small arms anyway. More over, if SHTF I plan on staying right where I am, not gallivanting around through the woods. I live on an island, which historically has been a pretty durn good defense in its self. An AK, or better yet, a couple of RPKs with lots of drum mags just works better for what I'm expecting. Now the streets of Seattle, or the plains of the midwest, those are completely different scenarios and one's choice of weapon should be considered accordingly.

slowfiveoh

I think AK's are like Mustang GT's. They'll get you from point A to point B, but if you don't tweak them, or get them from a factory like Roush or Tromix, you will have a piece of crap. :D

You're treading deep into my knowledgebase here.

By the way, '11 GT needs no tweaking.

Also, the AR would be a better example of a Fox Chassis 5.0 at least. Great car stock, unmatchable aftermarket. ;)

Last edited:

Michigander

You're treading deep into my knowledgebase here.

By the way, '11 GT needs no tweaking.

I know the indicated horsepower is over 400, but I'll be very skeptical of how they handle unless I get a chance to drive one. American designed Ford cars have a long and proud history of going fast in a straight line, and having steering looser than size 40 pants on Gary Coleman. This certainly applies to every Ford car I've ever owned or driven.

Metalhead47

Really thinking a shortbed F100 highboy would be pretty good about now. :D

Pre-92 SUBURBAN. Diesel. With a couple of these mounted to the roof:

sg43a-tm.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/09/08/sg-43-semi-automatic-goryunov-7-62x54r-for-sale/

slowfiveoh

I know the indicated horsepower is over 400, but I'll be very skeptical of how they handle unless I get a chance to drive one. American designed Ford cars have a long and proud history of going fast in a straight line, and having steering looser than size 40 pants on Gary Coleman. This certainly applies to every Ford car I've ever owned or driven.

Overly powerful steering pumps (Now with traditional Ford PS pump whine!), poor steering component geometry, floppy chassis, and engine placement over the front wheels are to blame in tandem for the plowing effect most exhibited. This goes for Fox Chassis cars.

My last car was a Griggs Racing GR40 Track car (89 GT) with watts link, torque arm, coil-overs, bumpsteer and some very wide meats. On track spec rubber, it would have easily been +-1.0G lateral. The car is literally an entirely different animal.

Watch Bruce Griggs run ol blue around infineon on youtube, and you will get the hint. ;)

If you haven't driven an S197 (2005+ "retro look" cars), then you will be blown away. A complete redesign of the chassis gives the cars more rigidity and flex resistance than any Mustang ever.

The improvements are so vast that with the engine in the current car, and some SCCA spec stuff removed or added as required for safety etc., the FR500C has been spanking Porsche and BMW in Rolex Grand-Am.

Kind of suprised more people don't know this.

Oh, and by the way. It does it with a solid axle as well. :cool:

Lovenox

My choice is AK. Most engagements in theater are 200 yards or less so the accuracy aspect doesn't really come into play. However, the Army did come out with a newer round for the M16 because of increase demands on targets further out. The AK is simpler, less rigid tolerances, and has proven to be a workhorse. The .223 is essentially a varmit round, not to say I would like to get hit with one. And the AK has proven to be a brushcutter. Either or is fine with me, but for accuracy the M16. IMHO

choover

I think most of us will agree the AR 15 has good qualities but one has to consider the possibilities if shtf. The reality is if we do have to go on the move we will not be able to take our entire array of firepower, I have 15 guns, no way I can go hiking carrying them all. I have ARs and a AK, I prefer shooting my ARs by far but have to say if I knew I was going to be in the woods ect... Id leave them in a second for the low maintenance AK

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I own the Ruger SR-556 ( AR-15 )
I own the WASR-10 double stack ( AK-47 )

instead or going back n forth on this....just get BOTH

Get a few dozen 30 rounders for each
and a few thousand rounds of Ammo for each.

wallla....the best of both worlds.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
AK vs. AR. When I first saw this thread I thought it was about Constitutional Carry in each state and which is better.....

I'll take Alaska over Arizona
I'll take the SKS over the AK or AR...

kwikrnu

Banned

The 5.0 lx coupe handles well. This one has a t76 turbo, full MM suspension, lentech tansmission, baer brakes, and nitrous.

mustangrightrearcornerresized.jpg

I'll take an AR, but there is just something too cool about the ak.

Last edited:

merc460

Guess this gives away my screen name. :D

Got a hitch on it too. :cool:

and I'm waiting for my AK74 to arrive this week. ;)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 68

sultan62

May be a bit behind, but...

Hey now, fortunes have been made & lost arguing Ford vs Chevy, every gun forum needs at least three AK vs AR threads and a couple of .45 vs 9mm & steel vs plastic just for good measure. :p

... the .45 wins. The other two are debatable.:D

Edit: I'm a bit rusty, but I'm pretty sure AR is Arkansas. Arizona is AZ.
I'll take Alaska over Arizona
I'll take the SKS over the AK or AR...

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

Dragunov

It's rather off topic of the 2 rifles in question, but one thing I will say about Iraq is that I know 2 Iraqi army veterans who were there for the first Iraq war, then came her because they are Christians, and wanted to worship freely without harassment. Both were snipers, issued Dargunovs. Both know AK's well, but neither are particularly fond of AK's, wanting more power and longer range.

The shortcomings of assault rifles seem to really show themselves in desert warfare, as is evidenced by their opinions, as well as the US pulling M14's out to give soldiers more power at longer ranges in I know for sure Afghanistan, and maybe Iraq?
is chambered in 7.62x54r. It is the Russian counterpart to the 7.62NATO in the M14.