• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AK vs. AR

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
The Answer to the question.

Firing the long range, hard-hitting 7.62x51mm NATO / 308 Winchester cartridge, the selective fire SCAR™ 17’s innovative gas-operated, short stroke piston system reduces fouling for greater reliability. The SCAR 17 system features three user-interchangeable, free floating, cold hammer-forged MIL-SPEC barrels with hard-chromed bores and three-prong flash suppressors. Fully-ambidextrous operating controls instantly adapt the SCAR 17 to any user. The receiver-integrated MIL-STD 1913 optical rail plus three accessory rails enable mounting of a wide variety of tactical lights and lasers. The side-folding polymer stock is fully adjustable for comb height and length of pull, and is colored authentic USSOCOM Flat Dark Earth.

Available for law enforcement and military only.

Swamper

"Answer to the question...."

@Glock34,

That answers the "question" nicely... but only if you are law enforcement, or military with a unit that is granted dispensation to acquire and use that really nice looking weapon system.

Us "Citizen Soldiers" and hobbiest types have to muddle along with what is legally available to us.

Still... a man can dream. LOL

Last edited:

Swamper

I just want to clarify I meant shot groups, not MOA. I'll figure that out when you can give me good solid groupings.
I would like to know what sights you are using too.

That thing has to be a real honey to shoot.

As to what mine weighs, I am not sure. It is probably heavier than yours especially with the bipod, scope, mount and last but definitely not least, the bull barrel (Although mine is fully fluted).

I can get 1.5" groups @ ~200 yards fairly consistently with it. I am imagining the .308 to be right on top of that, but good enough to bag a nice healthy sized buck with too.

It's got the standard "Battle Rifle" open sights. A wing protected, elevation adjustable pin front sight. It also has a "half-click" series of adjustment type range sight, apparently good for 0 - 200 yards, with one large diameter folding peep sight at the rear, and by folding it down, you get a smaller diameter peep to take you from 300 out to 600 yards, which aint bad for a 16 inch carbine with open sights, assuming it can hit the chest area on a human target at those ranges!

The full length 20 inch rifle gets 0 - 200, and 300 - 800 yards from the two peeps.

At least, this is how I understand it from the DPMS Literature that came with my AP4, which is not very good when it comes to the .308... the sighting info comes from the .223 pages.