• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And now I wait...... Started the CCDW process

Clancy

imported post

Thanks Dave.

Not to jack this thread ... but - is the DSPC cool?

I'm old school. I've been shooting since I was a kid, but I grew up downstate and just shot in my backyard (we lived in the sticks). The whole going to a range thing is new to me. And based on the limited info I can glean from their website ... I'm just not too impressed. But I also realize that some of this is hard to convey online. So I guess I'm asking - is it a good place - are they good people?

My only range experience so far has been targetmaster. And so far there, if you demonstrate that you're competent, and you don't do stupid sh*t, they leave you alone. That's pretty much all I want. I'm up for someone offering tips on my grip/stance/etc., but I don't want someone to tell me I'm firing to fast if I practice a double-tap. I can enjoy some straight-up target shooting, but when it really comes down to it, I'm doing this to develop and hone defensive skills.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

They're primarily a bullseye club -- .22 target shooters. Most of the membership appear to be seniors or close to it, and they've told me they're definitely looking for younger blood.

I've been there twice for their orientations and they generally asked us to only load 5 rounds at a time... not 100% if that's due to their safety rules (I know that's not written anywhere for them) or if it's just because their bullseye rounds are done in groups of 5 at a time -- or a combination of both. The nice thing is that after you're there for about 3 or 4 months, you get a key to the facility and can come in any time to shoot.

I'm probably going to get a membership there and am already working on organizing an NRA rules-based Action Pistol league.

As I get more information I'll pass it along... if I think everything would be kosher for us, I'd love to get more of us in there. But starting back up in August, every Wednesday night 5-7 they have safety/new member orientation and you're welcome to drop them a note and let them know that you'll be coming in.

Clancy

imported post

That's kinda' what I expected, but I guess I could make that work. Having the freedom to go whenever definitely has it's perks. And plinking with a 22 can be fun. I'll check them out in the fall, and I'll keep checking back here. This is a pretty cool forum...