• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ankle holster...

vermeire

imported post

What does everyone think about open carrying with an ankle holster? With summer coming and shorts being my main attire an ankle holster obviously won't be concealed. I normally carry my Glock in a G-Code on my right @ 4:00. My wifes carry is a Taurus 357 revolver. I"m considering getting an ankle holster for the revolver for me to use a BUG. How odd would open carry be with an ankle holster?

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

My opinion? You would look silly. :p When I think of an ankle holster and shorts my mind comes up with sock suspenders!

I've worn my belt mounted holster with shorts and it is an okay way to carry, especially with a snubby. You look like a bike cop or park ranger.

LoveMyCountry

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Not only would it look funny, but I don't think it'd be safe. A pretty standard "what if" is what if someone tries to get your gun from you? Even if you still have a gun on your hip, I can't imagine that you'd be able to draw if a guy dove straight at your ankle, and tipped you over in the process. By the time you figured out which way was up again, he could already have your gun out and pointed at you.

Ankle holsters aren't that practical to begin with. They're only really usable when you're using a small handgun, wearing long pants, and can't, for whatever reason, conceal anywhere else on your body. I kinda see it as a last resort carry. (or, if you've already got one strongside, crossdraw, and underarm, then you might as well have one on your ankle, too lol.)

Legba

imported post

The cops I have talked to about it have been unanimous in saying not to get or use an ankle holster. They're only useful for poker-table assassination situations. You're liable tofall down if you try to get the thing out when you're standing and in a panic. That said, I've never used one, but their concerns seem reaonable to me.

-ljp

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

vermeire wrote:
What does everyone think about open carrying with an ankle holster? With summer coming and shorts being my main attire an ankle holster obviously won't be concealed. I normally carry my Glock in a G-Code on my right @ 4:00. My wifes carry is a Taurus 357 revolver. I"m considering getting an ankle holster for the revolver for me to use a BUG. How odd would open carry be with an ankle holster?
If you are wearing a full spandex pant-suit, it MIGHT be acceptable

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

An ankle holster for open carrry?

Yeah I agree with others- it's pretty peculiar. I think it might be a little like wearing a hat at a nudist colony. You know they are wearing it for a purpose, but exactly what is difficult to pinpoint.

tattedupboy

imported post

When deciding how to carry your weapon one of the foremost considerations should be your ability to retain your weapon. IMO, a hip holster, with or without a retention device, is the best kind of retention holster because you have your entire arm and elbow hanging alongside it to keep it from being snatched. An openly carried handgun on an ankle holster not only looks odd, but you have virtually no retention outside of whatever retention device is built in to the holster. My advice: You can do much better.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Shorts and an ankle holster? nahhh....

KILT and an ankle holster... now that would be downright classy!

(Not to mention the pleasure youget when youconfuse people by saying "I kilt da sonofabitch!")

molonlabetn

imported post

You'll need to keep an eye on it if you do this... down there it would be within easy reach of small children.

On a humorous note, I wish that Officer Dangle had been given an ankle gun as part of his costume for Reno 911... That's the image that popped into my mind when I considered someone carrying on their ankle while wearing shorts.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Shorts and an ankle holster? nahhh....

KILT and an ankle holster... now that would be downright classy!

(Not to mention the pleasure youget when youconfuse people by saying "I kilt da sonofabitch!")
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: