• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anybody gotten an out of state?

unrequited

imported post

...I know it's probably a long shot, but has anybody ever had luck with an out of state NJ without being LEO or security? Would it just be a waste of time & money to even try?

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It might be instructive for someone with a very squeaky clean record to apply just to see what happens. It would need to be thought out just how one would want to approach such an endeavor, but you never know. They might put their foot in it, giving a potential legal angle to use later on.

I think there is no question it would be denied.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I've been thinking about applying for an non-resident NJ Permit -- it's rare that I ever even go over the bridge to the Weeds & Trees State, but my record is as clean as anyone's record can get.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wynder wrote:
I've been thinking about applying for an non-resident NJ Permit -- it's rare that I ever even go over the bridge to the Weeds & Trees State, but my record is as clean as anyone's record can get.

the worst that can happen isyou spend a few bucks they and disapprove you.

if they ask why, tell them you want to be disapproved so you can be the next test case after heller.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

ilbob wrote:
Wynder wrote:

the worst that can happen isyou spend a few bucks they and disapprove you.

if they ask why, tell them you want to be disapproved so you can be the next test case after heller.
Ahahaha!!:lol:

Armed4Life

imported post

unrequited wrote:
...I know it's probably a long shot, but has anybody ever had luck with an out of state NJ without being LEO or security? Would it just be a waste of time & money to even try?

NJ is not a shall issue state. Doesn't matter how clean your record is. Unless you have an iron clad reason (that is acceptable to a judge), or you have a judge on the payroll, it ain't gonna happen. I think there are less than 10,000 concealed carry permits in the whole state and most are retired LEOs.

Joe Cool

imported post

Pretty much all true, unless you can show you have been the victim of violent crime and must continue to work in a dangerous area. Lastly you must show that you are a likely high-value target (you carry large sums of money for your job). Even then you will only be allowed to carry while on the job is what I hear.

When I applied for an NJFID card, the town officer told me not to waste any money for a carry permit unless I was former LEO....

Joe C.

scarletwahoo

imported post

I used to live in NJ, but left the state less than a month after I graduated from Rutgers, and never plan on returning for more than a visit. I was thinking of trying for a permit for when I visit my parents. During my time at Rutgers, not a week went by where someone wasn't robbed, attacked, or raped, its a shame you can't protect yourself in NJ. I was thinking I could mention the fact my apt at Rutgers was robbed by a man with a gun and apply. But it's NJ, I doubt they will let you carry a gun unless you have connections. :-(

But, in the odd chance anyone has luck, I'd like to know. I was thinking, maybe become a volunteer sheiff and apply?

Joe Cool

imported post

ScarletW,

My daughter starts at Rutgers this fall - any advice for self protection?
She's got some martial arts skills and carries a pepper spray...

I am a bit worried now as she is a bit of a night owl.

As for carry permits - I have two, one from FL and another from Maine. No luck in NJ where we are defenseless and the criminals all know it.

scarletwahoo

imported post

I myself had pepper spray and got one for my girlfriend at the time. The only advice I have is just the basic stuff. If you are going out late, always travel in a group, don't leave a party by yourself to walk home. Don't take rides from any random person even if they seem like a normal college kid, thats pretty obvious, but thats how one girl was raped my time at Rutgers. Always lock your doors, no matter the time of day, my on campus apt was robbed at noon. College campuses are sadly 'easy' targets for criminals.

The only other advice is for her to put the number of the shuttle bus and the campus police in her cell phone, she can get them from any of the RA's or current students. The shuttle bus is a small Rutgers bus that will pick you up from anywhere on campus when the main buses stop running. This is useful since the new brunswick/piscataway campuses span a few miles. She should also note the bus routes change on weekends from weekdays, they will probably fill her in on all of this.

She should be safe as long as she stays in groups of people when she is out late. Off topic but when you are down there check out the grease trucks (fat sandwiches) and pizza places on easton ave. The food is the one thing I really miss.

Jared

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
unrequited wrote:

NJ is not a shall issue state. Doesn't matter how clean your record is. Unless you have an iron clad reason (that is acceptable to a judge), or you have a judge on the payroll, it ain't gonna happen. I think there are less than 10,000 concealed carry permits in the whole state and most are retired LEOs.

There are a lot less permits than that. In 1997, retired NJ LEO's, Deleware Memorial Bridge, SEPTA, Port Authority,and retired Federal LEO's were removed from the process of getting a carry permit from a judge, instead they could apply to the state police for an annual permit that was $50 a year. So the number of permits from the county courts dropped significantly.

There is really no difference in being an out of stater or a resident, permits are impossible to get. I know of two people who have one. One, an NJ resident has an unrestricted license. The other one was a gunsmith in Pennsylvania who was able to get a restricted licesnse for carrying for employment purposes. I believe he did some work for a few police departments in NJ.