• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone in Clark County Attempt to Register Home Built Pistol?

DON`T TREAD ON ME

With the array of 80% receivers out there, I am intrigued to wonder what any particular substation would do if I built a 1911 at home, and took it down to be registered. I am quite certain the usual "urination match" would ensue directly, with a refusal to register. That would be fine with me. The county ordinances are somewhat conflicting, but one states that you must appear with the weapon and intent to register. Another says it is the duty of the Sheriff to register, and then the conflict. Another says the weapon must be registered to residents within 72 hours.

If someone has video that they attempted to register their home built pistol, and were refused... It could go either way, but since a guy is unable to register his own lawful weapon, if proof is shown that a good faith attempt was made, it seems likely that it would be tough for a Judge to side with the "home team" on this one.

If there was an attempt to scribe a marking on the firearm, I would insist on recording the persons FFL MFG. license, as to deface the numbers of a gun is a federal crime if I am not mistaken.

This just poses a unique situation... and I would love to hear a story from someone with experience.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
It would be amusing to try and register a gun without a serial number. I'd be a little worried though that they would be ignorant of the law and seize it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There isn't a problem, because you are only going to be caught with it within two days of manufacturing it anyway. It is impossible to be caught in possession of it after that.

(Hopefully I don't have to explain that further...)

DON`T TREAD ON ME

There isn't a problem, because you are only going to be caught with it within two days of manufacturing it anyway. It is impossible to be caught in possession of it after that.

(Hopefully I don't have to explain that further...)

I totally pick up the beat you are putting down! I guess I see it from another side. Someone needs to point out the immorality of these "control freaks" to their face. Not saying it will suddenly cause the Mercenary's of the State to do the right thing. I am suggesting that others would see the attempted registration on you tube, and recognize the fact that the state does not understand it's own corrupt system of supposed "laws." When challenged they abandon rule of law and seek slave master type dominance!

Bernymac

What are the rules governing the making of your own personal handgun? I am curious as I personally know an individual who can make a handgun from scavenged materials. He hails from the Philippines and was heavily into "paltik" guns. Very skilled artisan, I watched him make a 1911 copy out of different metals he scavenged around town. Took 4 weeks.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
What are the rules governing the making of your own personal handgun? I am curious as I personally know an individual who can make a handgun from scavenged materials. He hails from the Philippines and was heavily into "paltik" guns. Very skilled artisan, I watched him make a 1911 copy out of different metals he scavenged around town. Took 4 weeks.

There are no rules other than one cannot venture into one that needs a BATF tax stamp (w/o getting one--you can still get one w/a homemade gun) or other law regarding the functionality of the gun.

And there can never be any law saying you cannot build your own.

Build away.