• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Appeals Court Allows Ban on Assault Weapons

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
The District of Columbia can bar residents from owning assault weapons and require them to register their handguns without violating the Second Amendment, but the district must explain further why some of its handgun registration requirements are necessary, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday. More......

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/us/appeals-court-allows-ban-on-assault-weapons.html

Still think we are free in AmeriKa ? & This going on in our Nationals Capitol...just amazing

Last edited:

okboomer

IANAL, but I think their logic also opens the door to other cities and states banning "assault weapons" such as the AR15 platform for one.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Well since an AR15, a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30, an SKS, or one of the semi-auto AK47's are not assault rifles (weapons?), you're safe with any of those.

These clowns don't even know what the definition of is for this term. In any case, the best thing to do is to stay out of DC. It's a garbage dump loaded with BG's just waiting for their targets.

FireStar M40

And BG Also Means..?

SouthernBoy said in part..

In any case, the best thing to do is to stay out of DC. It's a garbage dump loaded with BG's just waiting for their targets.

And I assume you also want us to believe BG means: "Bad Government"..!!..? ;) :D

FireStar M40

since9

Campaign Veteran
Well since an AR15, a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30, an SKS, or one of the semi-auto AK47's are not assault rifles (weapons?), you're safe with any of those.

Don't think so: Assault Weapon. "Very generally speaking, a semi-automatic firearm is defined by these laws as an assault weapon if it has both a detachable magazine and a pistol grip."

According to this, if the court says "assault weapons ban is a go," just about every semi-auto pistol can be classified as an "assault weapon.

These clowns don't even know what the definition of is for this term.

The problem is using the term "assault weapon" in the first place. It's a non-specific, non-technical term. There's no standardized definition. Because of this, it's preferred by the anti-gunners as a way to slip most weapons into this category.

Sneaky bastards, aren't they? The best thing to do is to unceasingly remind the public that the term "assault weapon" should never be used in a legal setting.

Gunslinger

Bans on so called Assault Weapons already exist in many states, plus the PDR of Denver. The term is BS--no AW is semiautomatic. So does gun registration. Nothing new here; same old crap from brainless twits appointed by ******* democraps to the bench.

SouthernBoy

Don't think so: Assault Weapon. "Very generally speaking, a semi-automatic firearm is defined by these laws as an assault weapon if it has both a detachable magazine and a pistol grip."

According to this, if the court says "assault weapons ban is a go," just about every semi-auto pistol can be classified as an "assault weapon.

The problem is using the term "assault weapon" in the first place. It's a non-specific, non-technical term. There's no standardized definition. Because of this, it's preferred by the anti-gunners as a way to slip most weapons into this category.

Sneaky bastards, aren't they? The best thing to do is to unceasingly remind the public that the term "assault weapon" should never be used in a legal setting.

The term "assault weapon" or "assault rifle" in the current vernacular is a product of the mind of Josh Sugarmann after the 1989 Stockton, CA school yard shooting. The never-let-a-good-crisis-go-to-waste mentality took a real term and definition of a specific class of firearms and turned it into something the anti's could use to their advantage with visceral reactions by the press and public.

The definition of an assault rifle was/is a shoulder arm of light to medium caliber [power] which is capable of a selective rate of fire. Of course AR's are semi-autos so they don't fit this definition. However, because of the success of the anti-gun movement with this term (think Saturday Night Special as another example), in most of the public's mind, and even a fair percentage of gun people, the terms assault rifle and and assault weapon have taken on the definition of anything that fits the 1994 Ban description.

Some will say that any weapon can be an "assault weapon" but for the time being, the anti's want to keep this term and make sure it continues to refer to semi-automatic "ugly" rifles. They have had amazing success with this as is evident on gun websites.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Semi-autos make great self-defense rifles but pretty lousy assault rifles. But I have only 30+ years of combined military and law enforcement experience...so what would I know? Anti-gunners truly must be mentally ill.

SouthernBoy

Semi-autos make great self-defense rifles but pretty lousy assault rifles. But I have only 30+ years of combined military and law enforcement experience...so what would I know? Anti-gunners truly must be mentally ill.

The term was "adopted" by Sugarmann and HCI for the explicit purpose of creating a negative visceral reaction in the minds of people who are ignorant of firearms and for those who do not like them and want them banned. You'll notice they tend to use "assault weapon" far more than "assault rifle" when addressing semi-auto "ugly" arms.

In 1994 when the assault weapons bill was signed into law, there were 19 long arms on the list as I remember. Not one of them was an assault rifle. Take the average non-gun individual and show them a picture of a basic (at that time) Ruger Mini-14 and next to it an SKS rifle, then ask them which one is an "assault weapon". I guarantee you almost none would point to the Mini-14 but nearly all would point to the SKS (we can substitute an AR for the SKS now in its many configurations and get the same result).

And the press simply picked up their gantlet and ran with it, decrying assault weapon for just about everything you can imagine. It was common place to see local news programs display semi-auto handguns, usually 1911's or Beretta 92F series, when reporting murders even if the murders were the result of stabbings or beatings. One more way to get the message out that firearms are evil and by connecting them to bad things, the seed is not only planted but watered and nurtured.

BTW, thank you for your extensive service to our nation.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Some will say that any weapon can be an "assault weapon" but for the time being, the anti's want to keep this term and make sure it continues to refer to semi-automatic "ugly" rifles. They have had amazing success with this as is evident on gun websites.

And on Wikipedia, and throughout the courts, the media, and the minds of foolish American people. In fact, it was probably coined from the "AR" in AR-15, even though the AR really is simply the first two letters in ArmaLite.

This is useful, though, particularly as the semi-automatic AR-15 is designated as a "Semi-automatic rifle" under TYPE on Wikipedia, while the fully-automatic M-16 is designated as an "Assault rifle" under type. The question is: How do we leverage this into changing the minds of people that "assault rifle" does NOT include semi-automatic weapons? I submit we should take the same approach we took with respect to clarifying the media's scrambling of "semi-automatic" and "automatic."

I would even submit the mis-use of the term "assault rifle," further smeared by using "assault weapon" is an intentional attempt to get around the clarification between "semi-automatic" and "fully automatic." It allows them to to get legislators to outlaw all "assault weapons" then use the messed-up definitions on Wikipedia and elsewhere as court evidence to convince judges and juries they should apply to semi-autos.

Confused?

1980: semi-auto vs fully auto
1990: semi-auto vs assault rifle
2000: semi-auto vs assault weapon
2010: revolver vs assault weapon

2020 (goal): Please note the following applies to handguns, rifles, and shotguns, except as otherwise noted:
- single-action: one pull of the trigger for each round fired; cock hammer/firing pin and trigger pull are two separate acts
- double-action (semi-auto): one pull of the trigger for each round fired
- double-action only: each and every pull of the trigger cocks the hammer and trips it; hammer returns to rest after firing
- single action/double action:
- pistols: first pull of the trigger (or pull of the charging lever) cocks the hammer and trips it; automatically recocked on first firing; subsequent pulls simply trip the hammer
- rifles
- fully-automatic: one pull of the trigger for multiple rounds fired
- assault rifle/weapon: A Dem/Libtard/Brady term hacked up to confuse the issue, pull the wool over the eyes of the media and U.S. Justice System, and undermine the Constitutional Rights of the People of the United States of America

Or is this just too complicated for libtards, which is why they keep screwing it up and revert to using the term "assault weapon" for everything from an M240 machine gun to a slingshot to the tip of a finger i.e., if you touch a cop, "That's assault..."

I like the comment I saw about the battle rifle. Were you thinking of the AR-10?

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

I would even submit the mis-use of the term "assault rifle," further smeared by using "assault weapon" is an intentional attempt to get around the clarification between "semi-automatic" and "fully automatic." It allows them to to get legislators to outlaw all "assault weapons" then use the messed-up definitions on Wikipedia and elsewhere as court evidence to convince judges and juries they should apply to semi-autos.

Bingo. Good post, since9.

What we are seeing is deliberate in the misuse of terms and terminology. I mentioned Josh Sugarmann and his HCI ilk coining the term "assault weapon" as a label for any semi-automatic rifle that had an aggressive, ugly appearance. It wasn't terribly long when you started hearing about these rifles being military rifles and winding up in the hands of criminals and the term being used interchangeably with "assault rifle". This term enable them to paint a wide swath with a large brush and worked beautifully with the public. The fact that we frequently see people on gun enthusiast websites talking about wanting to buy an assault rifle is proof that their actions worked since a whole generation has been born and grown up with this label attached to NON-assault rifles.

Last edited: