• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are Missouri LEO's profiling younger OC'ers?

sohighlyunlikely

I think Lancer was actually on his 1st day of OC when he was cuffed up. Are Missouri LEO's profiling younger OC'ers? It seems that most of the LEO encounters where the LEO is overly aggressive is involving a OC'er in there 20s. It is starting to look like more than a coincidence.

I am a middle aged gruff looking character. Unlike some OC'ers do not in any shape or form appear to be a LEO. I have OC'ed in more then 30 different Municipalities and continue to have hours OC in the public eye every week. I have one detention(no cuffs), 3 "hey whats up" from Leo's(1 with blank stare and 2 with eye rolls from LEO) and 1 LEO encounter with him saying good to see you expressing your 2nd Amendment rights.

Doc

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
The younger crowd is more likely to go into panic mode and less likely to be in tune with their rights from a LEO perspective.

You up for a range day at bullseye? I am thinking I am game for it with the 1911, as a gun snob I need to get it dirty so I can clean it. I might need to stop at walmart on the way to grab a couple of WWB I do not want to pay the range prices. I am really itching for a day at an indoor range. I can grab 500 or so rounds of .45 and you can try and convert me to GLOCK fan boy status :)

Tony4310

Wouldn't surprise me. I think it's uncommon for cops to see younger folks OCing too,but I still think they are non the less!

Tony4310

The younger crowd is more likely to go into panic mode and less likely to be in tune with their rights from a LEO perspective.

You up for a range day at bullseye? I am thinking I am game for it with the 1911, as a gun snob I need to get it dirty so I can clean it. I might need to stop at walmart on the way to grab a couple of WWB I do not want to pay the range prices. I am really itching for a day at an indoor range. I can grab 500 or so rounds of .45 and you can try and convert me to GLOCK fan boy status :)

Coughneedsshootingbuddiescough

lancers

Maplewood Walmart while open carrying maybe? :)

When I was getting put into the back of the police car, I actually thought about Doc and wondered how in the hell he had been going around in St. Louis doing this and on my second trip, I was in the situation I was in.

Last edited:

cash50

I've never been detained. Had a Hazelwood LEO eyeing me yesterday in Cabeler's. I tend to portray the gruff and confident demeanor.

But yes, I think LEO's -maybe not all- find it easier to mess with young guys.

Shooter64738

I don't know that they are just looking for younger people in general but I do think most younger carriers aren't quite as in tune with the law as the older carriers.

My son was questioned in Bolivar by a police officer. First he wanted to confiscate his firearm because he wasn't old enough to own it. Then he wanted to arrest him for having it open carried. (in bolivar you must posses a ccw permit to open carry). He produced his permit, that the officer thought was fake because you have to be 23 to get a Missouri permit in Missouri.

While this was all going on, his friend riding with him was about to break into tears fearing he would be getting trouble for riding with him. What probably de-escalated the situation was my son knowing every applicable law for him to own, open carry, or conceal carry his firearm.

It took almost 20 minutes to sort out but he was released with no further actions, and the police officer was quite good about it. He/they learned form the encounter as well. Of course it could have been very different had the officer been very stubborn or unwilling to listen.

Education is probably the key for younger carriers. That obviously may not work in all cases though.

Last edited:

jad316

Shooter, I can relate........I can print all day long from municode.com and Sullivan publications, but If I cant convince the LEO of what Im talking about its as useless as my papers.

Jim

kylemoul

i have yet to be stopped or even around a leo when oc'ing.
but when and if it happens, i will remind the LEO that the 2nd amendment is my right to carry a firearm, missouri is an open carry state and there is no law saying cant open carry, (store, public property), and that there are no city ordinances against OC (where applicable) in that specific order. if possible i know the city's weapons offence ordinance number, i would also cite that after he responds. i would feel being direct and stern, but still respectful will say something about you.

if he choose to arrest me after that, well, i will remain silent, post bail, and sue the department.

my stance, but im still youngin at 24.
i also shaved my beard so now i look like im 18. tired of getting salsa and bbq sause stuck in it.

ChiangShih

I'm 23 and I've never had a cop approach me in an aggressive manner. I suppose I look older than I am but I have been treated pretty well by LEOs inquiring about my pistol.