• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arizona Militia?

Javelina

Hello all my fellow carriers. I have an idea that popped into my head regarding the possible start of an Arizona Militia? I don't want to sound paranoid or anything like that, I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea as armed Arizona residents to start a militia should an emergency situation arise? I consider all of you on here, in some way, as family and I know family sticks together. I do apologize if this breaks any rules that I do not know of, any thoughts are welcomed either positive or negative, thanks everyone! :cool:

Javelina

Arizona State Militia

I have done the old Google search as well and am looking into becoming a member of the Arizona State Militia. After researching they seem like the best fit however Am still open to more thoughts on the subject aside from a hyperlink of the Google search, thanks.

Javelina

Oh, so you already knew that there are any number of existant "Arizona Militia," and 'misspoke', got it.

Like new preppers planning to bug-out when TSHTF, it's too late, many have already formed militias and/or bugged out.

More of just trying to get members of OCDO opinion on such militia's or forming a militia with fellow members, just because people are already doing it doesn't mean that we couldn't start doing it as well.

asubae

Why Re-create the Wheel?

I've looked into this extensively myself about three months ago.

And ASM seemed like the best fit (for me). If I recall correctly, however, a couple of their members got in serious law enforcement trouble awhile back because one aimed an AR-15 at a Sheriff's deputy. That is perhaps an incident the organization is trying to move forward from or already has.

With any organization, it's just the small bit of bad publicity that can kill you which is where crisis control measures come in and then it becomes a PR and image thing. Javelina, depending on your whereabouts, we could look into the militia together. From what I can tell, their mission and values seem justified nature. I'm looking for a professional and non-radical group, and ASM seems interesting. I'd like to go to a few meetings and get some information on the organization before I fully commit to membership. I'd be willing.

Their Facebook page has 3,130 likes.

Overall, i'm impartial to a militia but still very much interested. Arizona state law has provisions in which the governor may allow annexing and deployment of unorganized militia should SHTF. If you want to be a constitutionalist about it, unorganized militias are the only constitutional militia. The National Guard is NOT a true militia because they are still under DoD, and answerable to the federal government.

Phoenix David

There is already a Arizona Militia http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/26/00121.htm&Title=26&DocType=ARS

I get wary when people talk about forming their own, especialy when/if they have no prior military service to back it up. It was cool a few years ago seeing the 5 Star General of the Wisconsin (I think it was) Militia, 50ish and about 300 lbs.

Additional if this ASM was legit why is there no bio for the leader Col "Reaper" or his command staff. I would be curious to see when the good Col attend the Army War College and his graduation number along with his Branch. Or is this just the case because he thought of it he got to call himself a Colonel?

Last edited:

asubae

True, but look one section further:
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/26/00122.htm&Title=26&DocType=ARS

26-122. Components of militia
A. The militia is divided into the national guard of Arizona, the state guard when organized, and the unorganized militia.
B. The national guard consists of commissioned officers, warrant officers, enlisted personnel, organizations, staffs, corps and departments of the federally recognized and regularly commissioned, warranted and enlisted militia of the state, organized and maintained pursuant to law, and all members thereof honorably retired by age or disability.
C. The numerical strength, composition, distribution, organization, arms, uniforms, equipment, training and discipline of the federally recognized national guard shall be prescribed by the governor in conformity with the allocation of units to the state by the department of the army and the department of the air force of the United States.
D. The inactive national guard consists of commissioned, warranted and enlisted personnel relieved from assignment to the national guard by the adjutant general, or at their own request, under regulations prescribed by the department of national defense of the United States, and not reassigned to another component of the armed forces of the United States.
E. The unorganized militia consists of members of the militia not members of the national guard or state guard when organized.

I get wary when people talk about forming their own, especialy when/if they have no prior military service to back it up. It was cool a few years ago seeing the 5 Star General of the Wisconsin (I think it was) Militia, 50ish and about 300 lbs.

Additional if this ASM was legit why is there no bio for the leader Col "Reaper" or his command staff. I would be curious to see when the good Col attend the Army War College and his graduation number along with his Branch. Or is this just the case because he thought of it he got to call himself a Colonel?

I suppose the greater question would be, why would the ASM be illegitimate? There is no AZ state law which prevents its organization. If every person between the ages of 18-45 are technically a member of the militia, then what makes members of that group unable to organize -so long as they are not State or National Guard members. Isn't this the fundamental problem, though? Especially overseas, who are the rebels who are not? Who is the militia and what militia do they belong to? Current legislation calls for a State Guard, but even the people who wrote the law have not even defined any type of command structure.

These are fundamental issues that are open to interpretation and need to be addressed. It's a very complex problem. Furthermore, it appears ASM chooses to be secretive of its members and their identities and this is, I imagine would be for OPSEC or to keep names and other personal information out of the hands of enemies of the Constitution. Or it could be something sinister. Who knows. Allegedly, they have many currently active former LEO/Military members. The title of Colonel is an organizational term. You don't need to be in the military to be in a militia. Just like I don't need to be a cop to own a gun and handcuffs. Just like a police commander of a district who is a Colonel probably did not graduate from Army War College. Just like the Captain of a fishing vessel is not that of an O-6 Captain (Navy) of an Aircraft carrier.

I find it distasteful when LEOs and members of the military think that they're the only ones qualified enough to either a) own weapons or b) be a member of an organization that trains with weapons. It's an elitist attitude. The rank of Colonel means virtually nothing outside of the military, and serves a more distinguishing and organizational purpose. It is a place within a chain of command. Nothing more. Granted, said Colonel obviously has the credentials to be that high in the chain of command -and I think that's what you're getting at. Holding the rank of Colonel in today's military comes with its honors and authority.

No disrespect intended whatsoever to current LEOs or Military members -officers and enlisted through all ranks. I believe their service is nothing less than honorable. I agree with Phoenix David when I say I'd like to know more about the organization and a Bio of Colonel Reaper would be nice. Who knows. Maybe he was a legitimate military officer at one point. Maybe he wasn't. I don't think that's the point. I think the broader point is, in times of need and in order to operate effectively, somebody has to be a colonel. A leader. An officer who makes effective decisions and exercises control over those who choose to follow him.

Who does this militia answer to? What makes it a credible organization? The only to find out what they're about is to go to their recruitment meetings. Although, granted if I saw a 300lb colonel I'd opt out as I do believe in some measure of physical fitness standards hehe.

Last edited:

Bucko

Col "Reaper"

There is already a Arizona Militia http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/26/00121.htm&Title=26&DocType=ARS

I get wary when people talk about forming their own, especially when/if they have no prior military service to back it up. It was cool a few years ago seeing the 5 Star General of the Wisconsin (I think it was) Militia, 50ish and about 300 lbs.

Anyone reading this post: I'm a member of the "ASM" referenced here in regards to "Col Reaper". First let me say that there are at least a hand full of groups in Arizona who reference themselves as Militia with some variation with the words Arizona and Militia. And I can tell you first hand that Col "Reaper" was never a Col and works in supply or some such position at a post in Southern AZ. And he was asked to leave the "ASM" and he has started his own group. Here is the deal. Regardless of the group, you have people that have their own agenda. And as such, until a true leader rises up and starts a group with a great deal of funding, which I don't see happening, these groups will never go anywhere.

I believe that the militia members that got in trouble for pointing a rifle at the Pinal County Sheriff Deputies was with another group. I think they call themselves "Arizona Militia". A different group than the "ASM" referenced here.

sraacke

Instead of joining an questionable group the better option may be to think smaller and closer to home and go with the Patriot Fire Team model promoted by Student of the Gun trainer and radio host host Paul Markel. Get a few of your close buddies who you already know and trust. Work on building your personal preparedness and agree to a sort of mutual aid agreement. Build from there and train together and forget the titles, ranks or even formal names for a group. Like in the book series, "299 Days" just call it some thing like "The Team" like they did in the book. Four or five guys who get together and train, each with skills such as medical, communication, etc...
More about Patriot Fire Team at- http://www.patriotfireteam.com/
YouTube Video about what a PFT is- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zGCZXtRzeo

azcdlfred

Just curious....

Are militia members engaged politically, like in helping get good legislation passed in Arizona? Or is that not their thing?

Fred