• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Automatically directs to another link...

2ndAmendmentMom

NO Idea where to post this so hope this is the right place to put it.

On certain forums, I'll be in the "main section" and it'll automatically go to an ad. I'll go back to the forum by hitting my browsers back button but it'll send me to the ad site again. It doesn't give me an option to go back to where I came from. It has done this in different forums (WV Events being one and General questions another). I've scanned/etc my laptop however the only place this happens is on this forum.

Any ideas?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
NO Idea where to post this so hope this is the right place to put it.

On certain forums, I'll be in the "main section" and it'll automatically go to an ad. I'll go back to the forum by hitting my browsers back button but it'll send me to the ad site again. It doesn't give me an option to go back to where I came from. It has done this in different forums (WV Events being one and General questions another). I've scanned/etc my laptop however the only place this happens is on this forum.

Any ideas?
I do not experience problems with either.

Suggest scanning with Spyware Terminator - see freeware, and/or Malwarebytes anti malware. You would seem to have critters.

See items #7 & #8: http://en.softonic.com/s/spyware-terminator-2014

stealthyeliminator

Hmm weird, I've had at least one similar occurance. I am confident that I do not have malware, but had chalked up my experiences to misclicks or something. It is interesting that another is reporting similar site behavior. It could just be coincidence, or perhaps not. It hasn't happened to me in a while.

Normally, thoroughly scanning the client PC for malware would be the correct course of action but user has already scanned and is confident that this forum is the only place this occurs. It is at least plausible that something is up with the site. Potentially a malicious advertosement is being loaded. Many of the ads appear to be targeted thus a malicious ad might only be shown to a small percentage of user base depending on how it was categorized. :) just me speculating.

twoskinsonemanns

I had several experiences of this exact nature today. I would not dismiss it too quick Grape. It happened only on this site and from a very protected company PC. (protected meaning they don't trust me to d/l anything and have over site to install anything. Chances of it being malware on the PC end very very small.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I had several experiences of this exact nature today. I would not dismiss it too quick Grape. It happened only on this site and from a very protected company PC. (protected meaning they don't trust me to d/l anything and have over site to install anything. Chances of it being malware on the PC end very very small.
Not dismissing anything - only suggesting that the base be covered.

BlueSquid

I've never experienced that on this site, but I use Firefox with AdBlock Plus and have since I built this computer. I'd recommend using both. With AdBlock Plus you avoid those irritating redirects. The only downside, if you frequent sites like YouTube, is that it also blocks their ads by default. Most people probably don't care about that, but I spend a lot of my time on the computer watching specific youtubers, and I want them to get whatever small amount of money my views awards them. With the ads blocked, they don't get that money. So I'll usually disable it when I'm about to watch their videos.

But on to the original point, if you want AdBlock, go to the menu bar of firefox and click on Tools > Addons and just search for it, then install it. Just a hair easier than making an anti-gunner mad. ;)

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I will do a scan of the forum server to see if there is any identifiable malware but we are on the latest version and locked down pretty tight.

In the meantime, please keep reporting any issues here.

Thanks.

John

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Google admits that it is their problem.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/adsense/szfNNkPrkLI[1-25-false]

"Thanks for sending us this information. I've forwarded it to the AdWords malvertising team for their ongoing investigation. At this point, the redirect issue is known and our engineers are currently working on a fix as we speak. It appears to be one source that is changing destination URLs. Hopefully a permanent fix should be delivered today or ASAP. "