• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AZ open carry

TheHossUSMC

Hi guys I am a little unclear on the AZ laws on OC. I am going to be down along the I-8 area between tucson and yuma, and I am wondering if there are any wierd laws that I should know about before open carrying anywhere, and specifically in this area both long arms and handguns. I am a resident of Oregon and I do hold a ccw in oregon. Thanks for any info.

JesseL

....no permit is required to carry a firearm in a vehicle if the firearm is in plain view or locked in a trunk or other place not immediately accessible. ...

...On foot, no permit is required to openly carry a firearm in a belt holster, gun case or scabbard....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_%28by_state%29#Arizona

As of last July a lot of that is no longer true. If you're over 21 there is no distinction between open or concealed (including within vehicles). You can carry what you like, how you like, where you like; as long as you stay out of prohibited places and answer truthfully when a police officer asks if you're armed.

March Hare

Welcome to Arizona!

If you are:
Over 18: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly.
Over 21: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly or discretely.
You can carry whichever way you prefer and that is legal for your age range.

There are some exceptions;

You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms. (They don't get my money...)

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

Of course, drinking and carrying is a bad combination, don't!

When in a vehicle, you may carry discretely, but if stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

AzcdlFred posted this:
I highly recommend you print and read this document: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/documents/instructors_ccw_legal.pdf
It's the best free resource you can find for Arizona's gun laws and what they mean.
Thanks Fred!

It's always best to go directly to the source of the law to find out where you stand!

You probably won't run into any problems during your stay, the sight of firearms in AZ is pretty common. You might get a comment or a question about the caliber you're carrying, that's about it!

Enjoy your stay!

-MH

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

If you're on NDN land 'n have to exit your vehicle for any reason. Leave the weapon in the vehicle. Other than that... what's been said is about the extent of it. Welcome to Arizona. Shoot straight!

jeremy05

Question on this part
You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.

Is that exactly how the law is? Or is it like Michigan, where the sale of alcohol has to make up a certain percentage of sales.

JesseL

Question on this part

Is that exactly how the law is? Or is it like Michigan, where the sale of alcohol has to make up a certain percentage of sales.

Yep, that's the current law. You can only carry in an establishment that serves alcohol (whether Applebee's or a biker bar) if you have a CWP, your weapon is concealed, and the establishment doesn't have the official sign prohibiting guns.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/4/00229.htm

mkspllmn

One in the barrel

Are we sure about the one in the barrel law?

How many rounds are we allowed with an open/consealed carry in AZ?

Last edited:

mzbk2l

Welcome mkspllmn.

You're looking at that backwards... the government here does not "allow" us to carry or not carry, and have a round or not have a round in the chamber... instead they don't prohibit us from those things, except as noted above. There is no mention in the law about the number of rounds or whether you have one in the chamber, so by default, there is no prohibition.

Enjoy your stay - there's a lot of knowledge here.

Dahwg

I know some states prohibit one in the tube, but for the life of me I can't imagine why one wouldn't carry one in the chamber. My pistol is a decocker model so I carry accordingly (one in the tube half-cocked and tbh I can't really tell that much of a difference between the SA and DA pulls), but I would feel just fine carrying in condition 1 with a pistol so designed (i.e. 1911)! Having to rack a round under pressure does not appeal to me in the least.

As to number of rounds, the more the merrier-to a degree, I wouldn't want to carry a big 30 mag on a handgun- that's just too unwieldy but in the case of a zombie outbreak more bullets is better, gives me a fighting chance to get to my long guns. :monkey

azcdlfred

As to number of rounds, the more the merrier-to a degree, I wouldn't want to carry a big 30 mag on a handgun- that's just too unwieldy but in the case of a zombie outbreak more bullets is better, gives me a fighting chance to get to my long guns.
Some states ban the larger magazines. California has a ban on anything that holds more than 10 rounds.

Last year, after the Giffords incidient, an Arizona legislator introduced a bill to limit magazines to 10 rounds. In Congress, there are Senate Bill S32 and House Bill HR308 that call for a 10 round limit.

Fred

Last edited:

Daylen

Welcome to Arizona!

If you are:
Over 18: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly.
Over 21: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly or discretely.
You can carry whichever way you prefer and that is legal for your age range.

There are some exceptions;

You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms. (They don't get my money...)

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

Of course, drinking and carrying is a bad combination, don't!

When in a vehicle, you may carry discretely, but if stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

AzcdlFred posted this:

Thanks Fred!

It's always best to go directly to the source of the law to find out where you stand!

You probably won't run into any problems during your stay, the sight of firearms in AZ is pretty common. You might get a comment or a question about the caliber you're carrying, that's about it!

Enjoy your stay!

-MH

Aha! Alabama has one things you guys don't! no law regulating OC or CC in a place that serves alcohol!

acmariner99

18 -21 Clarification

I have seen repeatedly that someone over 18 and under 21 can carry a handgun openly in Arizona. I was told yesterday that someone in that age bracket cannot have a handgun in their POSSESSION without written authorization from someone over 21 (particularly a parent), let alone carry it in public. This does not apply to me directly, but rather a friend of mine who wants to be able to carry. The federal statutes only say that a dealer cannot sell a handgun to someone under 21 (that I can see anyway). I have seen a lot of stories and examples from individuals here carrying below 21 years old, but I got told from a retired LEO and gun shop owner that someone under 21 cannot have a handgun .. period unless they are under direct supervision of someone who is over 21 and in a place where they could be allowed to have it -- like a range. Could you clarify this for me and provide statutes (federal and state) and/or court cases which back up your statements. Thanks.

PavePusher

I have seen repeatedly that someone over 18 and under 21 can carry a handgun openly in Arizona. I was told yesterday that someone in that age bracket cannot have a handgun in their POSSESSION without written authorization from someone over 21 (particularly a parent), let alone carry it in public. This does not apply to me directly, but rather a friend of mine who wants to be able to carry. The federal statutes only say that a dealer cannot sell a handgun to someone under 21 (that I can see anyway). I have seen a lot of stories and examples from individuals here carrying below 21 years old, but I got told from a retired LEO and gun shop owner that someone under 21 cannot have a handgun .. period unless they are under direct supervision of someone who is over 21 and in a place where they could be allowed to have it -- like a range. Could you clarify this for me and provide statutes (federal and state) and/or court cases which back up your statements. Thanks.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ Click on Arizona.

Also: http://www.gunlaws.com/agog.htm

No financial kickback (unfortunately, I know I'm responsible for at least ten sales of this book...), but it's probably the best guide available, at most local gun stores, or order on-line.

acmariner99

Feedback Question

Handgunlaw.us says specifically "you must be 21 to carry in Arizona." But it makes no reference to whether it is open or concealed. Therefore I must ask if the 'maps' section in this forum is misleading -- it says that one can be 18 years old to Open Carry in Arizona. I will read further and get that book mentioned previously, but a lot of information I am getting isn't specific enough. Thanks.

JesseL

Handgunlaw.us says specifically "you must be 21 to carry in Arizona." But it makes no reference to whether it is open or concealed. Therefore I must ask if the 'maps' section in this forum is misleading -- it says that one can be 18 years old to Open Carry in Arizona. I will read further and get that book mentioned previously, but a lot of information I am getting isn't specific enough. Thanks.

Handgunlaw.us is a bit myopically focused on concealed carry.

ARS 13-3102 says:
A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:

2. Carrying a deadly weapon except a pocket knife concealed on his person or concealed within his immediate control in or on a means of transportation if the person is under twenty-one years of age; or

So a person under 21 can't carry a concealed weapon except a pocket knife.

ARS 13-3111 says:
13-3111. Minors prohibited from carrying or possessing firearms; exceptions; seizure and forfeiture; penalties; classification

A. Except as provided in subsection B, an unemancipated person who is under eighteen years of age and who is unaccompanied by a parent, grandparent or guardian, or a certified hunter safety instructor or certified firearms safety instructor acting with the consent of the unemancipated person's parent or guardian, shall not knowingly carry or possess on his person, within his immediate control, or in or on a means of transportation a firearm in any place that is open to the public or on any street or highway or on any private property except private property owned or leased by the minor or the minor's parent, grandparent or guardian.

B. This section does not apply to a person who is fourteen, fifteen, sixteen or seventeen years of age and who is any of the following:

1. Engaged in lawful hunting or shooting events or marksmanship practice at established ranges or other areas where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.

2. Engaged in lawful transportation of an unloaded firearm for the purpose of lawful hunting.

3. Engaged in lawful transportation of an unloaded firearm between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. for the purpose of shooting events or marksmanship practice at established ranges or other areas where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.

4. Engaged in activities requiring the use of a firearm that are related to the production of crops, livestock, poultry, livestock products, poultry products, or ratites or in the production or storage of agricultural commodities.

That's where people under 18 aren't allowed allowed to carry a gun outside the specified circumstances.

There is nothing in the law that says people 18-21 can't possess or carry unconcealed weapons, so it's as legal as can be.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
The prohibition of people under the age of 18 carrying was only imposed about 2000

Handgunlaw.us is a bit myopically focused on concealed carry.

ARS 13-3102 says:

So a person under 21 can't carry a concealed weapon except a pocket knife.

ARS 13-3111 says:

That's where people under 18 aren't allowed allowed to carry a gun outside the specified circumstances.

There is nothing in the law that says people 18-21 can't possess or carry unconcealed weapons, so it's as legal as can be.

It may take us a while to repeal that silly prohibition. A good first step would be to let minors carry if they have parental permission.

It may take us a while to repeal that silly prohibition. A good first step would be to let minors carry if they have parental permission.

Makes me wistful for the days when I was a kid. When I was little, I could pack my dad's 22 pistol around on my hip with nary a raised eyebrow -- and take my 22 rifle to school for show-and-tell. Try doing that nowadays!

Plus, I actually bought my first pistol (a Ruger Blackhawk) when I was 12. Yes, you read it right, 12. At a Western Auto of all places. No paperwork, no idiocy, no nonsense. Went in, put down my money, and walked out with it.

Ah, the memories...

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I had my daughter carry a Glock 19 around Arizona when she was 16

Makes me wistful for the days when I was a kid. When I was little, I could pack my dad's 22 pistol around on my hip with nary a raised eyebrow -- and take my 22 rifle to school for show-and-tell. Try doing that nowadays!

Plus, I actually bought my first pistol (a Ruger Blackhawk) when I was 12. Yes, you read it right, 12. At a Western Auto of all places. No paperwork, no idiocy, no nonsense. Went in, put down my money, and walked out with it.

Ah, the memories...

In Walmart, a clerk asked her if it was a "real" gun. She replied, "Yes, it wouldn't make any sense to carry a toy." I proudly said: "This is Arizona, not California."

azcdlfred

I have seen repeatedly that someone over 18 and under 21 can carry a handgun openly in Arizona. I was told yesterday that someone in that age bracket cannot have a handgun in their POSSESSION without written authorization from someone over 21 (particularly a parent), let alone carry it in public.
Your sources are incorrect. Don't believe what you are told (even here!) without an Arizona statute or case law to back it up. Arizona statutes and case law should be your only sources.

ARS 13-3102 are the statutes dealing with "weapons misconduct."

ARS 13-3102.A.2 says that under 21 "concealed" carry (ONLY) is against the law.

ARS 13-3102.B.3 defines methods of carry that don't violate ARS 13-3102.A.2.

Paraphrasing the law - If you are under 21 you may not carry "concealed" and may only carry using the methods in ARS 13-3102.B.3 which means "open carry" if you are wearing a "weapon."

Nowhere in ARS 13-3102 does it say you need to have a note from an adult and nowhere does it say you can't carry in plublic. I think someone else quoted another law requiring notes from mommy and daddy for the under 18 crowd? Like I said earlier, it's best to read the law.

Fred

Last edited: