• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Biden expected to announce executive actions on gun control Thursday

solus

thoughts?

fox news:
Biden will announce new executive action on gun control on Thursday, White House press secretary Jen Psaki indicated.

Psaki, during her press briefing Wednesday, declined to go into details on what the action would entail but said the president would have "more to say" tomorrow.

Sources told the outlet Biden would begin the process of requiring those who buy "ghost guns," firearms that lack serial numbers since they’re sold in pieces and put together at home, to undergo background checks. Biden is expected to be joined at the event by Attorney General Merrick Garland.

It’s not clear what other action will be announced. Last week 100 House Democrats wrote to Biden urging him to take action on concealed assault-style rifles.

solus

Forgive my naïveté, just re-read fox newspeek blurb i posted...

what in sam hill are "...concealed assault-style rifles"???

huh?

pkbites

Forgive my naïveté, just re-read fox newspeek blurb i posted...

what in sam hill are "...concealed assault-style rifles"???

huh?

It's whatever the anti's say it is. And seeing they know little to nothing about the arms they want to ban, that is a scary thought.

But from what I read it's any concealable firearm that fires rifle ammunition. Will that include arms like the Ruger 57 or any handgun chambered for .22 long rifle?

solus

CNN Continuously UPDATING SITE: https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/biden-gun-control-executive-orders-04-08-21/index.html

CNN: Biden urges Congress to act on gun legislation: "Enough prayers, time for some action"
Biden conceded that the issue of gun control was a "difficult one" and that, to ordinary Americans, can make it seem "like our entire political process is broken."

Still, he encouraged the Senate to immediately pass House-passed bills to close gun loopholes and expand background checks.

“This is not a partisan issue among the American people. This is a view by the American people as an American issue. And I'm willing to work with anyone to get these done. And it's long past time that we act,” Biden said.
Biden also called on Congress to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act that he worked to pass a senator and renew a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

The President said that reducing gun violence in the US would save money for the country, claiming that it is estimated to cost $280 billion a year.

“For a fraction of the cost of gun violence, we can save lives, create safe and healthy communities, and build economies that work for all of us,” he said.

Throughout his remarks, Biden insisted that his steps would not impinge upon the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

"No amendment to the Constitution is absolute,"
he said. "From the very beginning, you couldn’t own any weapon you wanted to own."

CNN: Biden says removing liability protections from gun makers is his top wish

President Biden said stripping gun manufacturers of liability protection would be at the top of his list of legislative priorities on gun control.

"The only industry in America, a billion dollar industry, that can’t be sued," he said. "Imagine how different it would be if that same exemption had been available to tobacco companies?"
The item was one in a list of actions Biden said Congress must take to combat gun violence. But he said it could potentially have an outsized effect.

"If I get one thing on my list, the Lord came down and said, ‘Joe you get one of these, give me that one,'" he said. "I’ll tell you what, there would be a come to the Lord moment these folks would have real quickly."

CNN: Here's how the DOJ will work to reduce the risk of gun violence, according to the US attorney general

Attorney General Merrick Garland outlined five ways the Department of Justice will work to combat gun violence:

Measure the problem of criminal gun trafficking in a data-driven way
Close a regulatory loophole that has contributed to the proliferation of so-called "ghost guns"
Make clear that statutory restrictions on short-barreled rifles apply when certain stabilizing braces are added to high-powered pistols
Publish model "red flag" legislation for states
Empower communities to combat and prevent gun violence, making more than $1 billion in funding available through over a dozen grant programs.
The attorney general noted that the Department of Justice cannot solve the problem of gun violence alone, and he called for a "collective effort" to save lives.

“I am under no illusions about how hard it is to solve the problem of gun violence," Garland said in remarks at the White House today. "And I know that the Department of Justice alone cannot solve the problem. It is a problem that we must all work on together in the collective effort to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and save lives."

Firearms Iinstuctor

They seem weak to me.

I would not think some democrats from pink or red districts want to get involved with hard core gun control before the 22 elections.

Doug_Nightmare

Washington Island, WISCONSIN. Out in Lake Michigan

President Biden said stripping gun manufacturers of liability protection would be at the top of his list of legislative priorities on gun control.

"The only industry in America, a billion dollar industry, that can’t be sued," he said. "Imagine how different it would be if that same exemption had been available to tobacco companies?"
Vaccine manufacturers. https://communities.win for the win.

Attachments

• 93778050-77FF-48C2-8933-75B76AA2C86F.jpeg
    93778050-77FF-48C2-8933-75B76AA2C86F.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1

CJ4wd

The item was one in a list of actions Biden said Congress must take to combat gun violence. But he said it could potentially have an outsized effect.

Yet no other industry is held liable for the criminal misuse of their products the way the firearm industry has been. I have yet to see any of the big distilleries or auto manufacturers sued for the actions of drunken drivers, people who cause more death and mayhem than any legitimate gun owner. Drunk drivers may even cause more death and destruction annually than all of the criminal misuse of firearms for the same time period.