• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill fully recognizing right to carry introduced

press1280

BigTzzy

press1280 said:
What are the odds this goes through?

I would say with the hard work that Patricia Stoneking and the KSRA have done this should pass without any problems.

Kansas is a great State!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

77zach

What are the odds this goes through? Looks like huge GOP majorities in the KS legislature along with a solid conservative Governor.
In WV we also have a similar bill, and according to a questionnaire to those legislators will pass it easily. It would be awesome if multiple states went this way this year.

Huge GOP majorities don't necessarily mean anything. Well, in Florida they don't anyway, where GOP just means neocon in many cases. However, it appears that some of the leadership in the Ks legislature is on board with many co sponsors which could swing neocon indifference/hostility and get the bill through. Sam Brownback the governor is pro gun, but I don't know if he's Rick Perry pro gun (believes in privileges dispensed relatively easily for the time being) or Ron Paul pro gun (right to bear arms means what it says).

If there is a bottleneck somewhere, for example, if Brownback whispers that he'll veto it, then the GOP goes into self protection mode and it just dies in committee or is amended to strip it of its first intention. In this way the enemies of freedom are preserved while not looking bad popularly and they can still say "I suppport the 2nd amendment".

Last edited:

Super6O

It passed out of committee. It was however amended to increase the constitutional concealed carry age from 18 to 21.

I guess to make it more palatable for a quick pass. Will have to work on that next year

DGunzUSVET

77zach

KS legislature passed HB 2578 in 2014 which eliminated local communities from imposing bans on the statewide legality of open carry. NRA was out in force to make sure it passed. https://www.nraila.org/articles/20140423/kansas-comprehensive-pro-gun-bill-signed-into-law

It seems each state affiliate of NRA is different, most are passively pro OC or pro permitless for both OC and CC. There might be some anti OC in Tx from what I've heard. NRA was against permitless CC in New Hampshire because it didn't respect the federal "gun free" school zone law. The horror.

What's a sure thing is their priority is perks for permitees. Because that's what the majority of their members want.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It seems each state affiliate of NRA is different, most are passively pro OC or pro permitless for both OC and CC. There might be some anti OC in Tx from what I've heard. NRA was against permitless CC in New Hampshire because it didn't respect the federal "gun free" school zone law. The horror.

What's a sure thing is their priority is perks for permitees. Because that's what the majority of their members want.
I was not aware that the NRA listened to the rank and file membership.