• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Board of Higher Education seeks to ban firearms on university campuses

carracer

In the wake of all those mass killings and rampant shootings occuring everyday on Oregon campus's since being allowed I can understand their concern!

One just has to look at Virginia Tech and other schools to see how gun free zones are the way to go.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
If their administrative rule bans the possession of firearms for people who have a reason to be on campus, I'll be sure to make every reasonable effort to travel through campus when going somewhere not on campus. These days I go out of my way to stay off of campus so I cannot possibly be bothered by a police officer, but I think I'll change my ways just to keep the campuses a bit safer despite the Board of Higher Education.

Dogbait

Gun ban bill trying to be snuck through by Courtney.

OFF ALERT 02.28.12

COURTNEY TO RAM THROUGH “NO GUNS IN SCHOOLS” BILL

Today in addition to gut and stuffing the CHL privacy bill with language by gun hater Floyd Prozanski, we expect the Senate Rules Committee to pass a bill by Senate President Peter Courtney banning guns on school property.

The bill, SB 1594, is a re-write of Burdick’s Senate Bill 1550. It was redrafted in order to bypass all the rules about bill deadlines.

The bill was introduced today, heard on the Senate Floor and referred to the Senate Rules Committee where we expect it to be passed to the Senate Floor as early as today.

We have been informed that several Republican Senators plan to cave and vote for the bill. Folks, we have been totally shafted this time by Courtney and Company.

Please call Peter Courtney’s office right away and express your outrage and this game of bait and switch.

503 986 1600

sen.petercourtney@state.or.us

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

45 Fan

Just on OSU, went to Local Boyz Hawaiian. Gun was in its shoulder holster under my right arm. Also, was sitting in a music recital...not a single person screamed or cared. So, why are they banning it? Because they are special...

We-the-People

As a current OUS system user I can tell you that NONE....NOT A SINGLE INDIVIDUAL..... who I have talked with that has a CHL is going to change their ways with this latest "internal rule" from the OUS. Those that have been CCing are going to continue (and there are quite a few of them). Those that haven't been CCing aren't going to start.

The one thing the people I've talked with that is quite interesting though......when this one gets slammed down, about half have said that they are done "being nice" and will open carry on campus as soon as it gets slammed down.

And what's with them arguing that worn out old wives tale about an active shooter being less hazardous than a citizen firing back in defense and starting a "deadly firefight"??.....SHEEESH when is that one going to go away?

lowone

I have a chl, I don't carry in any form at work (OSU) as I can't afford to be fired..... and believe me I sure would be fired with the way most of the people are in the offices I work in!

Though I would defiantly carry if there ever came a day when I could do so with out fear of being fired. But knowing the powers at be and their own lack of respect or understanding of the actual laws that probably wont ever happen. They will just keep making up their own rules over and over each one needing to be "shot" down in court.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I have a chl, I don't carry in any form at work (OSU) as I can't afford to be fired..... and believe me I sure would be fired with the way most of the people are in the offices I work in!

Today your fears about being fired could very well be valid, but before the recent rule change (and after the OFF legal victory) did OSU still have the ability to do anything about it?

It would be great to see a group of students sue a university for deprivation of rights and for their failure to adequately protect the individuals they are depriving. I think there was a case about Ted Bundy where a court ruled that if the government deprives you of your rights in certain circumstances that they are responsible for you're well being. I can't find the citation at the moment though.

lowone

OSU has blurbs about being expelled (for students) and being fired (for staff/faculty) in there respective code of conduct/contracts this whole time. Yes it might have been shakier ground in the interim between ruling striking the old rule as well as their new rules. But why would that stop them as they obviously don't give a **** about the actual law.