• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bowley Lock Company - Thwarts Lockpicks by Blocking the Picks

since9

Campaign Veteran
Looks intriguing! What do you think?

My first thought: For $125 for the entry model, it'd BETTER be un-pickable.

My second thought: All key locks are easily defeated by the brute-force approach, namely, attacking you as you approach the door then using your key. Thus, this is no better than an electronic lock with a key fob or RFID wallet pin and a battery back-up.

My third thought: Electronic locks are much more expensive.

My fourth thought: The best deterrent to burglary, a large and very loudly barking dog, is many times more expensive than $125. They're more expensive than electronic locks, too.

My fifth thought: A hidden and silent alarm system -- far cheaper than a dog -- that's not turned off when someone enters will produce a reasonably rapid response from cops.

My sixth thought: For not too much more than a hidden and silent alarm system, you can upload HD or better "change video" to the web.*

My seventh and final thought: Buy a good lock for $50-60 on your front door, inside-only deadbolt all other doors, bar your windows, open carry, know darn well how to use it and blow away any and all burglary bastards.

*Change video is video that includes any significant changes, such as when a person transits in front of the camera. Settings include variable duration i.e. 30 sec, 5 min, etc. beyond the change point, and near-instantaneous jumps from low-res (640x480) to 4k (3840x2160). High-end systems allow the images to be sent to your phone and you can near-real-time take IR flash photographs in very high resolution than can be adjusted by software to produce perfect, detailed images of the robbers -- without them knowing it.

solus

Uh since9 ~ the greatest thought #42...you lose your keys...

ain’t running to lowes/home depot nor you sure as h3ll can’t call little jimmy the neighborhood locksmith to get into house/file cabinet/security box...ad nauseam...

Oh darn he has me on ignore :sleep: guess he’s just gonna be locked out!

eye95

I don’t know of anyone who has had their home broken into by picking the lock.

The only time I have ever been broken into, the burglar carefully removed the molding from around a large double-pane of glass, carefully set the very expensive pane against the side of my house, and entered through the very large opening he had just made.

Outside of him robbing me, I found him to be quite the considerate burglar.

To me, the best option is not trying to build a hard-to-get-into fortress, but to be informed when something happens and to get video. I have a home-security system.

OC for ME

Well trained guard cat(s). Their stealth and ferocity are legendary. Or, a trained carnivorous rabbit...even the Holy Hand Grenade did not kill that rabbit.

solus

LOL. Solus Ipse keeps a high security notebook full of passwords in case he loses his ‘key’. Bwahaha! Wotta Maroon.

Absolutely not dougie...how hard is “A1@3$5^7*9a” as a pswd to remember, parentheses included?

Oh speeking of maroons like you were dougie...your out of the blue post’s subject context references...what?

Doug_Nightmare

Washington Island, WISCONSIN. Out in Lake Michigan
LOL. I have a gatekeeper and a moat. I have been away for two months now and the house is still unlocked. The Island joke is, “I’d lock my house but I don’t know where is the key.” The only key with my key fob is the AmLegion Hall for our collection of Garands.

My nearest neighbor is 1500 feet away and over the shoulder of the mountain. The back of the house is so secluded that foxes have denned within twenty feet. A sawzall is as good as a key.

JTHunter2

With the back end of that key being "unsupported", what is there to keep it from being bent or twisted so that it no longer aligns with the tumblers?