• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boycotting Costco is not the answer – petition is!

IdahoOpenCarry

I’ve been reading many posts on various Carry sites suggesting that OC’ers and CC’ers boycott Costco, and other major companies, for not allowing any form of Carry on their premises. There is a better way.

Costco does not post a “No Weapons” sign because they don’t want to offend those who support all forms of Carry. Neither do they want to create a written company policy allowing Carry in OC/CC friendly states for fear of creating a backlash from the anti-gun left. They are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Because OC/CC is not restricted in the Boise Costco, it would appear that it is up to the discretion of each store’s manager and that is where we should begin, but also keeping in the loop their corporate office because we eventually want their tacit approval.

So as not to arouse a preemptive strike by the anti-gun left, we should begin a petition in each OC/CC friendly state, not threatening, but encouraging Costco (and other highly trafficked businesses) to tacitly allow OC/CC.

I would propose that we develop a petition and dedicate 2012 to collecting thousands of signatures from our OC/CC friendly compatriots and, in January of 2013, we quietly and professionally present them to the individual stores and their corporate offices.

If any of you have talent as a wordsmith, I would appreciate your sending me a draft text for such a petition, keeping in mind that we don’t want to levy threats, but just a friendly encouragement, perhaps suggesting that we won’t take this public and expose them to having to take sides and alienate any of the customers.

Be a public relations ambassador for the 2nd Amendment; dress sharp, be polite and smile; then we will win over those sitting on the fence and become a force impenetrable by the anti-gun left.

Tony Snesko, Founder Idaho Open Carry
Tony@IdahoOpenCarry.org
208-918-0639
Open Carry is the Beautiful Bold Face of the 2nd Amendment;
and the 1st line of defense against the anti-gun left, and the first casualty if not practiced.

Last edited:

jimd_21

IMO, i don't think this will work. look at the other high profile companies that have been pressured to allow or not allow firearms in their establishments. the ones who don't get alot of press because they don't. the ones that do get alot of press because they do. ie Starbucks. Public opinion and press does not change their polices. That's why we support the companies that do support 2A and do not support those that don't. Many have sent letters to companies that do not support 2A and nothing has changed with any of them.

But i will say good luck with the petition.

IdahoOpenCarry

IMO, i don't think this will work. look at the other high profile companies that have been pressured to allow or not allow firearms in their establishments. the ones who don't get alot of press because they don't. the ones that do get alot of press because they do. ie Starbucks. Public opinion and press does not change their polices. That's why we support the companies that do support 2A and do not support those that don't. Many have sent letters to companies that do not support 2A and nothing has changed with any of them.

First of all, there is no pressure being advocated, just signatures of members who are asking companies to ignore the guns, not make policy. We don't want to give up on companies, especially large ones, who have not yet made a policy decision for or against. Second of all, I am not advocating sending letters. Did you read the post?

ThatOneChick

You're very lucky if you're allowed to carry into Boise Costco. "No weapons" is in the membership contract you sign and is a corporate policy.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

https://costco.egain.net/system/sel...N=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&isSuggestedArticle=true

Super Saiyan

I live in Arizona, where both permitless concealed and open carry are perfectly legal. Every Costco in the Phoenix-metro area that I have ever been to (five) have gun buster signs posted at their entrances. Additionally, Costco has a blatant 'no weapons' policy, which is part of their membership agreement. To rephrase that, you actually have to waive your right to personal protection via your legal signature in order to be a member and give them money. So for me, "boycotting" Costco IS the answer because quite frankly, my wallet and my gun go (virtually) everywhere together. I'm all for the idea of getting a petition together, but until their policy DOES change, they ain't getting a cent out of me.
In fact, I used to be a Costco member/customer for several years, up until I became privy to their no weapons policy. I immediately canceled my contract and became a member of Sam's Club. Sam's abides by state law, and not stupid policies created by pencil pushing know nothings. And the fact that Sam's Club has better prices and more of selection is a delightful bonus, too. :D

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've OC'd into several COSTCOs, including here in Colorado Springs, the latter on a regular basis. They've always been respectful.

What's the problem again?

I’ve been reading many posts on various Carry sites suggesting that OC’ers and CC’ers boycott Costco, and other major companies, for not allowing any form of Carry on their premises. There is a better way.

Yes, there is.

Costco does not post a “No Weapons” sign because they don’t want to offend those who support all forms of Carry. Neither do they want to create a written company policy allowing Carry in OC/CC friendly states for fear of creating a backlash from the anti-gun left. They are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

No, they're not. Starbucks is not only alive and well, it's thriving. Why? Simple: They've established a corporate policy which simply respects local, state, and federal law. They allow any customer who follows the law.

IT'S THAT'S SIMPLE: "Costco respects all local, state, and federal laws, and will accommodate all customers who follow the law."

I would propose that we develop a petition and dedicate 2012 to collecting thousands of signatures from our OC/CC friendly compatriots and, in January of 2013, we quietly and professionally present them to the individual stores and their corporate offices.

I agree. I would strongly encourage any and all such efforts to employ the emphasized phrase above, as a version of it has served Starbucks exceptionally well! Don't mess with success.

If any of you have talent as a wordsmith, I would appreciate your sending me a draft text for such a petition, keeping in mind that we don’t want to levy threats, but just a friendly encouragement, perhaps suggesting that we won’t take this public and expose them to having to take sides and alienate any of the customers.

I'm a professional writer, but have yet to be paid a cent for my work, here. Perhaps Mike can move my stars from 1 to 5 for the hundreds of hours I've spent here. At my rates, that's well over $15,000 donated to this forum and our cause.

Mike? Mike?

crickets chirping

Whatever.

Here's a draft, as per your request, IdahoOpenCarry.

Petition for the Respect of our National Rights, Including our Right to Keep and Bear Arms

To Whom It May Concern:

In addition to being a shopper at your store or place of business, I am also an American, one of more than 300 Million. I believe in American values, as well as on the foundation from which those values originate. I'm speaking about the beginnings of our nation, wherein our Founding Fathers first stood up in 1776, en masse, to protect the safety, honor, and integrity of the citizens of our fledgling nation. These wise men cemented the foundation of our great nation when they penned our Constitution, and shortly thereafter, our Bill of Rights. This latter document recognized that our security is best made certain by respecting our right to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

Our Constitution remains every bit as vital to the security of our free nation today as it did back then.

Most companies throughout America respect our rights. Starbucks is one such company. Their corporate policy is quite simple and quite effective, particularly for their bottom line. In short, they welcome all law-abiding customers. That's it! Provided a customer is following their local, state, and federal laws, they're a welcome customer!

We simply ask you follow their example.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

x

So for me, "boycotting" Costco IS the answer because quite frankly, my wallet and my gun go (virtually) everywhere together. I'm all for the idea of getting a petition together, but until their policy DOES change, they ain't getting a cent out of me.

In fact, I used to be a Costco member/customer for several years, up until I became privy to their no weapons policy. I immediately canceled my contract and became a member of Sam's Club. Sam's abides by state law, and not stupid policies created by pencil pushing know nothings. And the fact that Sam's Club has better prices and more of selection is a delightful bonus, too. :D

So far, the Costco here hasn't gone that route. If they do, I'd become a Sam's Club member in less than 24 hours. I Sam's Club follows suit, I'll pitch them out the window, as well, as there remain countless local grocers as well as very large brand name grocers who actually desire to respect our nation and all the rights and privileges thereof.

Speaking of which, you might want to weave ^^^that^^^ into your letters. In my experience, those who say "no" are very few, while those who respect our rights are plenty. So, companies which disrespect the civil rights of the nation in which they operation rarely prevail.

Last edited:

Beau

They may not enforce it at every Costco but it is a corporate policy. At least they will refund your membership if they decide to start enforcing it.

From Costco's website.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

IdahoOpenCarry

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business. Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

Obviously I was wrong by believing and repeating a statement made by OC'ers in posts on another thread regarding Costco's policy. Since it is in Costco's written policy policy, we will necessarily work to persuade them to amend their policy by providing them 10's of thousands of signatures. Perhaps I can get this petition generated by my forum administrator at IOC and post a link to it online. I'll keep you posted.
Tony@IdahoOpenCarry.org
Celebrate the 2nd Amendment by OC'ing

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
There's also another (but rather unfortunate) way: Wait until an employee(s) or customer(s) is/are shot/maimed/killed at some Costco (inside the store or on their property) then the familes of said injured/deceased employees/customers class-action SUE Costco for all it's worth for negligent homicide/manslaughter (at the very least) in not allowing people to protect themselves yet not providing any armed security at their store, either. Not only would Costco wake up but so would ALL other businesses who do the very same: Disarm employees and customers via flawed (and IMO, criminal) Corporate Policies.

After all, home-owners are responsible for injuries/accidents to visitors and can be sued for liability issues, so when employees and/or customers are KILLED on someone's property, why do corporations (and public schools) get off scott-free, with NO liability/responsibility whatsoever?

[a rhetorical question]

Last edited:

OC for ME

Noble, yet futile endeavor.

The customer demographic that includes OC/CC is not large enough to persuade COSTCO to change their policy.

Actually, the OC demographic is not large enough to change the COSTCO policy.

The CC demographic, by definition could be everyone, or no one, because nobody can see the evil gun.

Besides, reading CC forums, CCers routinely violate the clearly stated desires of the property owner by CCing in those businesses. So much for respecting rights. If they get caught and are asked to leave they leave.

Just don't spend your money there. Unless, of course, you just gotta have access to 96 roll packages of two-ply toilet paper.

:cool:

OC for ME

There's also another (but rather unfortunate) way: Wait until an employee(s) or customer(s) is/are shot/maimed/killed at some Costco (inside the store or on their property) then the familes of said injured/deceased employees/customers class-action SUE Costco for all it's worth for negligent homicide/manslaughter (at the very least) in not allowing people to protect themselves yet not providing any armed security at their store, either. Not only would Costco wake up but so would ALL other businesses who do the very same: Disarm employees and customers via flawed (and IMO, criminal) Corporate Policies.

After all, home-owners are responsible for injuries/accidents to visitors and can be sued for liability issues, so when employees and/or customers are KILLED on someone's property, why do corporations (and public schools) get off scott-free, with NO liability/responsibility whatsoever?

[a rhetorical question]
If you do not patronize COSTCO because they are anti-gun then the unfortunate incident you describe would not affect you. Just another tragic story on the local/national news. Those incidents typically benefit the anti-liberty crowd and not the liberty crowd.

since9

Campaign Veteran
They may not enforce it at every Costco but it is a corporate policy. At least they will refund your membership if they decide to start enforcing it.

From Costco's website...

Got a link? I've been all over their website. Must have missed it.

"Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy."

I would reply, "I'm a member, and I am unhappy about your unnecessary violation of our State and Federal rights."

Last edited:

carracer

I have been unable to find anything in my membership papers that reference firearms at all. Nothing when I signed up either. It is only when someone contacts corporate that the policy comes out. I don't know of anyone that has actually seen a written policy, just a stated one.

AmbushBug

I have been unable to find anything in my membership papers that reference firearms at all. Nothing when I signed up either. It is only when someone contacts corporate that the policy comes out. I don't know of anyone that has actually seen a written policy, just a stated one.

I confirm this, at least as of the time shortly following the Erik Scott shooting, as I researched it closely. The Costco involved in that shooting is the one I shopped at; and there are no "no firearms" signs on those doors. They did indeed refund my membership fee, and I never looked back ...

hermannr

You're very lucky if you're allowed to carry into Boise Costco. "No weapons" is in the membership contract you sign and is a corporate policy.

https://costco.egain.net/system/sel...N=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&isSuggestedArticle=true

I don't know where your membership contract came from, but my membership contract has no mention of weapons, pro or con. I did not, and would not sign a membership contract that included a prohibition against legal carry.

I will agree, carry or not appears to be store specific. I no longer live near a Costco so I let my membership die, but my old paperwork says nothing about a weapons policy.

Lead Junkie

Got a link? I've been all over their website. Must have missed it.

I would reply, "I'm a member, and I am unhappy about your unnecessary violation of our State and Federal rights."

Just google Costco gun policy and it will have the link.
I crawled all over their site trying to find it and couldn't.

I think a petition is a good idea if you can get enough sigs. But a boycot in the meantime is the way to go. Why would they change their policy regardless of how many signatures they get if their sales are unaffected by the policy that is in place?

Beau

Just google Costco gun policy and it will have the link.
I crawled all over their site trying to find it and couldn't.

I think a petition is a good idea if you can get enough sigs. But a boycot in the meantime is the way to go. Why would they change their policy regardless of how many signatures they get if their sales are unaffected by the policy that is in place?
K.J.O. emailed them and received back the exact same response that the Google link takes you to.

Their policy may not be enforced in all stores but it is a corporate policy and a change in management could affect policy enforcement.

OC for ME

I don't shop at COSTCO.....now that fuel is around $4/gallon. When (if) it gets back down around to $3/gallon, then I'll head on back. Got 'prepper' stuff to attend to and the local grocery store just don't sell TP by the pallet.

Redbaron007

Fortunately I don't have to endure their policy. They don't have one here...thank goodness. Being a member of Sams Club, and OCd there, has been issue free.

With that said, if there is something that can be done by us that are not affected, please advise.