• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Breaking! Active shooter at clover park technical college.

XD40sc

Sheep are becoming well trained

Sheeple successfully trained by the office of the minister of fear.

Several months ago a campus in NC went through this, lockdown, fear, panic, and it was someone with an umbrella :banghead:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
You answered your own question. :)

And that really is the answer: they think they have to treat every minor incident as a full blown terrorist attack. They might call it "training", or testing their systems, or just as excuse for some possible overtime, but they're not going to pass up an opportunity.

It achieves several objectives, none of them necessary or in any way beneficial to us, the citizenry.

1. Overtime is great.

2. Putting on the battle rattle is super cool. If they're lucky, it will even be "better than sex".

3. It reinforces the mythos portrayed in every TV show involving police, namely that there are existential threats around us at all times, which are held at bay only through the efforts of a standing army of heroic soldier-police, who possess infinite technology, weaponry, and capability.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sounds like incentive for students to get carrying ... after all, the campus police did not catch him right? And nobody did.

If it was a real shooter, likely the same.

And who knows if it was a gun .. maybe a salami sandwich ... they are just (if not more) dangerous.

PALO

I am sure that they violate state law just like LWIT in Kirkland does and attempts to disarm students and punish those who are armed.

There is no violation of state law in a PRIVATE educational institution (or any other private business) to prohibit firearms carry on their property.

PALO

It achieves several objectives, none of them necessary or in any way beneficial to us, the citizenry.

1. Overtime is great.

2. Putting on the battle rattle is super cool. If they're lucky, it will even be "better than sex".

3. It reinforces the mythos portrayed in every TV show involving police, namely that there are existential threats around us at all times, which are held at bay only through the efforts of a standing army of heroic soldier-police, who possess infinite technology, weaponry, and capability.

Point # 3 is an absurd representation of TV cop shows. Most shows I watch portray cops as human beings, with all the flaws, shortcomings, doubts, and variety (some good guys, some bad) that goes along with that.

Whether you are talking Law and Order, Hill Street Blues, Barney Miller, etc. NONE of those shows or the more current shows portray cops as possessing infinite weaponry, capability, and technology.

For example, I was watching one cop show recently (flipping through the channels) and it was LAPD show iirc and the cop was attending a narcotics anonymous type meeting to help him overcome his addiction to prescription opiates.

sudden valley gunner

Point # 3 is an absurd representation of TV cop shows. Most shows I watch portray cops as human beings, with all the flaws, shortcomings, doubts, and variety (some good guys, some bad) that goes along with that.

Whether you are talking Law and Order, Hill Street Blues, Barney Miller, etc. NONE of those shows or the more current shows portray cops as possessing infinite weaponry, capability, and technology.

For example, I was watching one cop show recently (flipping through the channels) and it was LAPD show iirc and the cop was attending a narcotics anonymous type meeting to help him overcome his addiction to prescription opiates.

So they didn't fire the cop for being a drug addict? Why? Oh because of the mythos he is so badly needed because of the constant existential threats? :confused:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
So they didn't fire the cop for being a drug addict? Why? Oh because of the mythos he is so badly needed because of the constant existential threats? :confused:

I wonder if he (the fictional TV cop) was caught by a drug dog being led around the outside of his house, leading to a false alert, numerous badgering questions, and the house and its occupants seized under exigency "to prevent evidence being destroyed", while a warrant was obtained.

Or, a Long search of his car that found a single prescription pill his kid dropped.

I also wonder whether they showed him sitting in a cell on the possession conviction. Wait? There wasn't a possession conviction?

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Admittedly there are a couple more "serious" and/or realistic police procedurals, and there even the ones that turn the mythos somewhaton its head (Psych, The Wire, Justified), but they are the exception rather than the rule. Most episodes of most shows involving cops are a bubblegum fantasy of what police do. CSI, NCIS, Castle, 24, etc.

My favorite scene is when they have a case where the NSA wants to help, and they have these computers that can instantly glean any piece of desired information. :lol:

PALO

Why would they fire him for being an addict? That makes no sense. He got addicted to prescribed medications and recognized his addiction and did something about it.

PALO

I wonder if he (the fictional TV cop) was caught by a drug dog being led around the outside of his house, leading to a false alert, numerous badgering questions, and the house and its occupants seized under exigency "to prevent evidence being destroyed", while a warrant was obtained.

Or, a Long search of his car that found a single prescription pill his kid dropped.

I also wonder whether they showed him sitting in a cell on the possession conviction. Wait? There wasn't a possession conviction?

I only saw part of the episode, but how can you get a possession conviction based on drugs you are legally prescribed?

I get it. I've seen it in post after post. You've got a big chip on your shoulder and a reflexive need to turn every post and every thread into a venue for you to express your amazing insights into the character of LEO's.

My original point stands and the OP made an absurd counterfactual statement about cops being betrayed in the media in a way they simply are not. In show after show, they are shown as flawed human beings, generally well meaning, good hearted people doing a tough job, doing it reasonably well, sometimes heroically, sometimes abysmally, etc. That's the reality of how media portrays cops. You've got a full spectrum of course, from Bad Lieutenant and on.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

There is no violation of state law in a PRIVATE educational institution (or any other private business) to prohibit firearms carry on their property.

Um, which educational institution is the private one?

LWIT is not private. I don't think Clover Park is either.....

So, explain yourself, seeing as I am not attempting to list PRIVATE schools.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I only saw part of the episode, but how can you get a possession conviction based on drugs you are legally prescribed?

I get it. I've seen it in post after post. You've got a big chip on your shoulder and a reflexive need to turn every post and every thread into a venue for you to express your amazing insights into the character of LEO's.

My original point stands and the OP made an absurd counterfactual statement about cops being betrayed in the media in a way they simply are not. In show after show, they are shown as flawed human beings, generally well meaning, good hearted people doing a tough job, doing it reasonably well, sometimes heroically, sometimes abysmally, etc. That's the reality of how media portrays cops. You've got a full spectrum of course, from Bad Lieutenant and on.

Oh, so now you introduce the aspect about the cop being legally prescribed the drugs, and then pretend I was aware of it all along so you can argue about it.

OK, I'll follow that line: I wonder if the poor doctor who prescribed the drugs will be witch-hunted for being lied to by his police officer patient about needing the drugs.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Even Cops Agree I Understand Their Dark Side

SNIP ...your amazing insights into the character of LEO's.

Even cops tell me I'm right about cops.

Of course, he did it accidentally. He was busy attempting an ad hominem attack.

Who was it just the other day complained about a poster resorting to name-calling, saying the poster proved thereby that he didn't have any arguments? Oh, yeah. I remember now. PALO.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Why would they fire him for being an addict? That makes no sense. He got addicted to prescribed medications and recognized his addiction and did something about it.

LOL....the mere fact you have to ask why....is hilarious.

More people die per year by prescription drugs than ones the state deem contraband.

sudden valley gunner

You make me laugh PALO I am glad you are back. Don't you even see your last paragraph perfectly describes the mythos Marshaul brought up and I agree with....or are you too blinded by the same mythos to realize that?

EMNofSeattle

LOL....the mere fact you have to ask why....is hilarious.

More people die per year by prescription drugs than ones the state deem contraband.

any many more people use prescription drugs then illegal drugs, and deaths from prescriptions are either

A) not applying the directions
or
B) suicide
or
C) illegal use of drugs they don't have a current prescription for...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
any many more people use prescription drugs then illegal drugs, and deaths from prescriptions are either

A) not applying the directions
or
B) suicide
or
C) illegal use of drugs they don't have a current prescription for...

I wasn't aware that illegal drugs killed people because they were innately evil.

Granted, illegal drugs don't come with directions, but that's government's fault anyway.