• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying my first handgun seeking advice.

tazxrulz

I've no experience with that particular Taurus, but I do have that Ruger in my collection. It is extremely reliable, and easy to shoot because of its size. Since you say concealing is not a current concern, you will be very happy with that Ruger. I think it is one of the best values out there on a full size pistol.

I am loving the Ruger already! I went and shot it with a buddy of mine. He gave me some cleaning tips and all that too so that was cool. I been carrying everywhere like my bank, hannaford, walmart and irving. I went to Hannaford once last night then again today. Today didn't go so well at Hannaford as Jim G. (manager) asked me to leave the store. I am currently writing a letter to corporate to express my frustrations and to confirm that they have in fact a anti gun establishment. I am going to ask about how they must assume responsibility for my safety while in there store since I can not have my gun to protect myself. I am curious how they will answer the question of how they plan to save my life if a madman with a gun comes in shooting. I'll let you all know when/if I get a response.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
There is no benefit to .45 and no drawback to 9mm other than capacity and prices. And no person here can reference a valid study that proves anything different. The only credible studies done show that the caliber is completely irrelevant.

First of all, the above is simply false.

Secondly, muzzle energy is only a valid comparison within a caliber.

mobiushky

First of all, the above is simply false.

Secondly, muzzle energy is only a valid comparison within a caliber.

First of all, No it isn't.

Second, Well, no it isn't.

Energy is energy. The only real valid comparison of caliber is the bullets ability to impart the energy it has into the subject. If a bullet has 200 ft/lbs of energy and it stops in the subject, then the bullet imparted 200 ft/lbs of energy into the subject. If the bullet passes through the subject and continues, then it did not impart the full 200 ft/lbs into the subject. Hence the invention of the hollow point. It gives a greater surface area to transfer the energy from the bullet into the subject. If 2 different weight bullets are traveling at the same speed, the heavier bullet will be traveling with more energy. You cannot change the laws of physics to suit your preferred caliber.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
First of all, No it isn't.

Oh yes, yes it is.

Energy is energy. The only real valid comparison of caliber is the bullets ability to impart the energy it has into the subject. If a bullet has 200 ft/lbs of energy and it stops in the subject, then the bullet imparted 200 ft/lbs of energy into the subject. If the bullet passes through the subject and continues, then it did not impart the full 200 ft/lbs into the subject. Hence the invention of the hollow point. It gives a greater surface area to transfer the energy from the bullet into the subject. If 2 different weight bullets are traveling at the same speed, the heavier bullet will be traveling with more energy. You cannot change the laws of physics to suit your preferred caliber.

Energy is energy, but energy doesn't kill.

You just proved my point. Greater muzzle energy doesn't mean more energy into the target if, for instance, the bullet passes entirely through.

Furthermore, even energy imparted into the target can't be compared across calibers, as it isn't energy dump which kills. It's damage to vital organs and blood loss: wound channel. (You can be subject to far greater energy dumps and be relatively unhurt, if they aren't focused as with a bullet.)

Last edited:

Maverick9

Are you alright? If you must know I was sitting on my couch with 2 guys drinking beers and apparently being too loud.. The guy got pissed and decided it was best to burst through the door swinging a bat. Did I ever say I don't know how to use a firearm? I been shooting for years! Just because I don't know the pros and cons of different caliber guns don't mean I don't know how to shoot. Who the hell cares who it was or why they broke in? Makes no difference to me. Alls I know is next time something this happens I will draw aim WARN then shoot if the intruder does not retreat. In the great state of Maine I am well within my rights to protect my family and my property. Also I rent so why the hell would I waste my money beefing up security in a apartment that I will not live at for long.. Jumping ahead of myself haha that is pretty funny.

So...you want to know what's the best bullet to warn guys who might burst in with bats?

Enjoy your time in court, proving that this guy with a bat was intent on committing grievous bodily harm.

Why not get the biggest gun available, like a Desert Eagle. I guarantee you it's better for warning people than almost any other gun. OTOH, maybe if you curtailed your obnoxious drinking habits and making loud noises you wouldn't need to warn anyone you were going to kill them for having a wooden stick.

By the way, if a person on a message board, trying to offer a conservative and safe approach makes you LIVID, you might consider whether you have anger management issues.

The point is, even though you asked on a gun board full of blood-thirsty, fantasy-prone types, a gun and shooting to kill should be your LAST resort, not the first option.

At any rate good luck.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

So...you want to know what's the best bullet to warn guys who might burst in with bats?

Enjoy your time in court, proving that this guy with a bat was intent on committing grievous bodily harm.

Why not get the biggest gun available, like a Desert Eagle. I guarantee you it's better for warning people than almost any other gun. OTOH, maybe if you curtailed your obnoxious drinking habits and making loud noises you wouldn't need to warn anyone you were going to kill them for having a wooden stick.

By the way, if a person on a message board, trying to offer a conservative and safe approach makes you LIVID, you might consider whether you have anger management issues.

At any rate good luck.
Are you serious? Get off his back, he was not out of line. Someone breaks in MY home with a bat I will stop them by any means that stops them. And the only people who will second guess me is the police, and justice system. Armchair quarterbacks need not apply.

mpguy

I know you're probably headed off to pick up your gun already, but I'd like to interject one thing. Ignore everyone here who says .45>.40>9mm or 9mm>.45>.40 or .40>.32>.454Casul or whatever nonsense.

Fact. Pistols suck. It doesn't matter what caliber you choose. There is no benefit to .45 and no drawback to 9mm other than capacity and prices. And no person here can reference a valid study that proves anything different. The only credible studies done show that the caliber is completely irrelevant. You're going to have fire more than one round at the target to stop him. The average is around 3 rounds regardless of the caliber (actually it's about 2.5 but who fires 0.5 of a bullet?). The question is can you place 3 controlled rounds in a 9 inch circle from around 20 feet or less. If you can, all three of the favorite calibers will be acceptable. Some people using some guns can place 3 controlled rounds in that target regardless of the caliber. Some can't. Another fact, you'll shoot a .22LR pistol better than any larger pistol because you'll be able to control it better. But no one recommends that really unless you plan to pay for high quality rounds that you can bet your life on.

Since you're planning to get a 9mm, stick to 9 when you buy your second gun. It's always cheaper on you to stock pile a single caliber than to try to stock pile 5 different calibers and it also limits confusion under stress. Worst thing you can do is grab a box of 9mm to load into your newly purchased .45 by accident while someone is bashing in the door. Once you get comfortable and have a decent home defense set up, then branch out. Nothing wrong with any of the calibers, just get comfortable with what you have before you do.

Also, modern self defense ammo is SO well made and varied that it's pretty easy to pick up a 9mm round that tops .45 for energy. (which really doesn't do anything for mythical "stopping power" which doesn't exist.) For instance, a recent test of 230gr +p JHP ended up with a muzzle velocity of about 850 fps on a 5" barrel. That equates to around 369 ft lbs of energy. While Underwood ammo makes a 9mm that makes almost 1400 fps. That approaches 501 ft lbs of energy. So there's more to it than ".45 is more powerful". That's simply not true anymore.

.45 can be just as good as 9mm even if it is more expensive. LOL.

Bottom line, choose the gun you like and use it. practice, practice, practice. Then practice a LOT more. Shot placement makes pistols a viable defense tool, not caliber.

In a perfect world IMHO this is true. I chose .45 because if there is a failure of expansion, .45 isn't getting any smaller.
At the same time, its what you can shoot best that wins the day.

Just my .02

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

The point is, even though you asked on a gun board full of blood-thirsty, fantasy-prone types, a gun and shooting to kill should be your LAST resort, not the first option.

At any rate good luck.

Troll trolls.

tazxrulz

Last edited:

Jamesm760

I am looking for something that both myself and my 125LB fiance can handle. I want to be sure it can take down a intruder as well. I am looking for something that will be good to open carry as I plan to carry openly daily until I get my CCW.

9mm would be great for your and your wife's first caliber. 9mm has no recoil compared to 40 and 45 IMO. It has power to take down an intruder with well placed shots.

I suggest you go to a FFL dealer that has good reviews (take your wife with you) and hold a couple of handguns. You will know which one to get as soon as you apply a firm grip to it... it will feel natural, comfortable, controlable.

Good luck on your first firearm purchase!! It wont be your last!

tazxrulz

Good luck on your first firearm purchase!! It wont be your last!

That's for sure! I am already planning on buying a rifle, shotgun, and a few more handguns. Time to do some overtime. My hobby used to be going to the bar and I thought that was expensive til I started buying ammo!

Jamesm760

That's for sure! I am already planning on buying a rifle, shotgun, and a few more handguns. Time to do some overtime. My hobby used to be going to the bar and I thought that was expensive til I started buying ammo!

yea -.- i know exactly what you mean... I like to go through about 3-500 rounds a month... and walmart is empty with in minutes. I currently own 2 handguns, but saving up a couple thousand for the next time the gun show comes around. You get pretty good bargains there.

Cava3r4

what someone else said, about going to a range that rents guns and shooting a bunch of them, or hooking up with a bunch of shooters. I know if you were out here in Phoenix, I'd let you try my stuff.
forget the caliber war. Bigger* IS better, BUT, shot placement TRUMPS bigger everytime so therefore shoot what you SHOOT WELL with!
Personally, I have a kimber polymer target that holds 14+1 rounds of .45 ACP. It is a 1911 style pistol with a double stack magazine. My hands are NOT large and I shoot it WELL. I use a comp-tac in the waist band holster and an International Handgun Leather belt that is 1.5 inches wide x almost 1/4 thick. The BELT keeps the gun and holster from moving and rubbing you raw. The holster is kydex except for the leather staps that attach to the belt clips.
go here to look at the holster http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=61
I carry this all year, 16/7.
Good Luck in your choice.
PLEASE......let us know what you end up buying.

* I did pointman in vietnam, and let me tell you, a 7.62 NATO (.308 to you civilians) will put down a soldier a LOT QUICKER then a 5.56 NATO (.223) I know from personal experience!!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The holster is kydex except for the leather staps that attach to the belt clips.

Good idea.

In case anybody followed the "discussion" between matt2636 and WalkingWolf and myself in the "holster recommendations" thread, do you know why they did that? Because plastic undergoes plastic deformation (who'da thunk it, right?) when it flexes, fatigues under repeated stress/strain cycles, and will eventually catastrophically fail.

A couple strips of leather in the right place, and suddenly you can allow all the flexure you need. Very good idea if you want a Kydex holster. Too bad that particular one is IWB, and everyone here should be OCing in a belt holster IMO.

Last edited:

Sukkot Prepper

Applicable handgun in this case

DOUBLE ACTION REVOLVER! Someone not versed in self defense or firearms should start with the most simple platform. A 5 inch .44 mag with light defensive rounds would suffice. Recoil would be quite manageable, yet the performance is top notch. Get training, then move up to a personal weapon like what I carry, a Glock 21 Gen4 with extended fully supported barrel shooting .45 Super.
980336_146310305562122_2097483762_o.jpg

Last edited: