• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA Freedom of Information Act Help?

ryanburbridge

Hi ALL

If anyone has seen some of my posts or some of my UOC experiences with police. They will understand why i am starting this thread.

I have seen some posts on this site that discuss in passing information obtained through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). I would like to start gathering information from the two LEO encounters i have had in Long Beach. Dose anyone have advice or procedures to obtain info such as 911 calls, dispatch tapes, police reports, post report training or memos from police?

I am asking for help and will be doing my own research in the mean time. I will post updates and info I find here so that others can find this useful.

What I have so far:

http://www.longbeach.gov/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=26554

http://www.longbeach.gov/attorney/records_requests/default.asp

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
It's actually called the California Public Records Act. While it has a different name and is the state level version of FOIA, it does essentially the same thing.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=gov&group=06001-07000&file=6250-6270

Some agencies have a form they can have you fill out to request records, but in most cases you have to write a letter requesting by description what records you want access to. While it doesnt cost anything to look, you may have to pay for copies or duplication.

They have a certain time limit to respond and the law keeps them accountable if they dont respond. Some records can be withheld if there is a compelling reason; such as the identity of minors as victims- but more pertinent to our uses, the records we seek might be protected if it is the subject of an ongoing investigation. This is why we should compel the authorities to share their records before filing a complaint. Because once you file a complaint, its possible that the records you seek will be withheld on the basis that an internal investigation prohibits their release.

hgreen

Hi ALL

If anyone has seen some of my posts or some of my UOC experiences with police. They will understand why i am starting this thread.

I have seen some posts on this site that discuss in passing information obtained through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). I would like to start gathering information from the two LEO encounters i have had in Long Beach. Dose anyone have advice or procedures to obtain info such as 911 calls, dispatch tapes, police reports, post report training or memos from police?

I am asking for help and will be doing my own research in the mean time. I will post updates and info I find here so that others can find this useful.

What I have so far:

Check the PD website to see if they have a standard form.

Say you want to review the documents before they copy or deliver them so you don't get hit with huge fees.

Here's an example filled out PRAR you can use as an example: http://www.southbayopencarry.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/MBFair-PRAR-9-15-10v2.pdf

ryanburbridge