• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA Newspaper calls up CHP holders...

RayBurton72

imported post

While aI agree with you in general, I would have to say the article posted by the OP was an example of a well-used records. From the way I read it, everyone named in the aticle agreed to be named and quoted by the paper. Those who declinedto be named (and I am sure there were many) don't seem to have been "outed."

I think it is a legit story of who carries and why, especially if we were to find that andanti 2A or an anti CChas a CCP...

buster81

imported post

It's nice of you to agree with me in principle. So it would be ok for me to request your last tax return. I'd like to do some research on how much a reporter makes and how they invest. I won't tell anyone about what I find out unless you say it's ok.

RayBurton72

imported post

The difference is that tax returns are not public information, but if you wanted to know what the tax value of may house was, when I purchased it, and for how much, certainly.

As with what other properties I may own, cars I own, etc. (All public record)

The point I was trying to make is that open record laws are like guns, the problem is not the law, (or the gun), it is how and for what it is used.

Public record laws are an important element of being able to see what our government is doing, just as guns are an important element of being able to defend ourselves, our loved ones or for hunting and sport. Just because both can be used for bad, doesn't mean that we should ban either.

buster81

imported post

and the point im trying to make is that your tax return is not public record because it is non of my business. just like it's non of your business if i have a chp!