• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California city seizes woman's guns over husband's mental health

OC for ME

City Attorney Rick Doyle told the station the issue is public safety.

“Are we acting with an abundance of caution? Yeah,” Doyle said. “We’re concerned about someone having access to firearms that shouldn’t.”

Doyle said storing the guns in a locked safe doesn’t prevent Mr. Rodriguez from gaining access.

San Jose prevailed when Rodriguez challenged the seizure in state court.

“We don’t want to turn the guns over and we don’t have to turn the guns over. The courts have agreed with us,” Doyle told the station.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/23/city-san-jose-seizes-guns-from-woman-prompts-lawsuit/
California jokes aside, this will be a interesting case to follow. Hopefully the feds will inform the city as to the error of their ways. if not...

davidmcbeth

Banned
From the link.."Doyle said storing the guns in a locked safe doesn’t prevent Mr. Rodriguez from gaining access...We don’t want to turn the guns over and we don’t have to turn the guns over. San Jose prevailed when Rodriguez challenged the seizure in state court. The courts have agreed with us,” Doyle told the station."

The husband is not in a hospital or prison and is a freeman, so even he has the right to arms. Did they take all the things that can be used to harm other people, like hammers, knifes, etc.? No. Only guns. Mental health issues easily sway people to agree that the taking of a person's guns away due to mental health issues is perfectly acceptable yet I am not willing to fall into this trap; I am prepared to accept the risk that freedom demands.

And look, now she is petitioning a government for relief against another government. This is what the governments want people to do in a civilized society. But a little un-civilization is a good thing for freedom I think.

If the government took your guns away, how long would it take you to re-arm yourself? The answer should be in a matter of days. Firstly, one should not keep all their guns in one place and one should also have the ability to reproduce arms w/o the need for any government interference or approvals.

Look at what the government does today and this is when the populace has guns; wait until they disarm people, then imagine what they'll do.

Looks like SAF is also involved...http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...federal-court-over-gun-seizure-300128246.html

Looks like from the SAF article .. "At that time, a dozen firearms that were locked in a state-approved gun safe were confiscated, although the firearms were never involved in Mr. Rodriguez's incident."

What, they want this safe inside another safe inside a third safe?

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_...83&q=Lori+Rodriguez+san+jose&hl=en&as_sdt=4,5

For more information about the state lawsuit....
"The trial court also stated: "I'm real concerned about releasing these weapons back to home, even behind the safe, when he's got . . . the ability to, you know, coerce [Lori] somehow into opening that safe. That concerns me." [A]t the end of the day, is what my responsibility is, is public safety. And that's what guides me. And I'm not saying I'm ignoring her Constitutional Rights or anybody else's rights. . . ."

Anytime I see or hear "at the end of the day" I know anything after that is pure BS.

DeSchaine

Well, there it is. Thats how the anti's are going to get us. They dont have to ban the guns, just have us all found to be nuts. Which, considering the state of the injustice system in America, can actually happen.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, there it is. Thats how the anti's are going to get us. They dont have to ban the guns, just have us all found to be nuts. Which, considering the state of the injustice system in America, can actually happen.

Eating in public in a manner that annoys anyone is now a felony ...
Walking, beginning with your right leg is now a felony ...
Walking, beginning with your left leg is now a felony ...

Or just make everything a felony ...

I'm crazy .. for freedom....

Carry on !

Robin47

Eating in public in a manner that annoys anyone is now a felony ...
Walking, beginning with your right leg is now a felony ...
Walking, beginning with your left leg is now a felony ...

Or just make everything a felony ...

I'm crazy .. for freedom....

Carry on !

The real truth is those who come for your guns, are committing a felony at that time,
they swore an oath to we the people, to protect our rights, and our property, so by taking your guns
they have broke there contract to we the people, also taking public monies under false pretenses (via- oath)
and that's a felony.
You could arrest them on the spot !