• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Captcha

t33j

Wow really? How incredibly obnoxious...

For posts from unregistered users I might understand but you have to be registered to post here.

What's the deal?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Would you like to be more specific?

Where/how did you run into it? What were you doing?

Why have you not contacted Mike or John to inquire what was going on, instead of posting some post with just enough information to be totally useless?

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Eye,

Did not know some of you were not as equal. [tongue in cheek, folks! I'm probably the last one to claim, or want to claim, to be more equal.]

Since it does not effect me, I'm not gonna inquire. If any of you lesser entities wants to get upgraded I guess a note to the powers that be is in order.

stay safe.

t33j

I didn't have to deal with a captcha until either today or yesterday.

I was responding to the Open Carry in Hampton Roads thread when I noticed it tonight. I also had to do one in order to create this thread.

Correction: I was attempting to respond to the Open Carry in Hampton Roads thread.

Last edited:

xd shooter

What's the big deal? Type in some letters and go about your business!!

Some REALLY thin skins around here!! :):) lol

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I added that because we were having problems with registered users (possibly with a grudge against the forum) doing repeated searches to slow down / bring down the database.

John

Wow really? How incredibly obnoxious...

For posts from unregistered users I might understand but you have to be registered to post here.

What's the deal?

Kloutier

Dershel wave

Could you not just set a limit on the search function? Searches blocks and such. A ton of other forms I use have a comment like "You have done to many searches please try again later" or something like that. Also does the Captcha have to be both on the search and the posting?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I guess John wanted to keep everyone's mind off of the database constantly crashing.
The upgrade was a big improvement!:(

HeroHog

They aren't a big deal. So I had to type in "commanded dicychs" to reply... I may never recover! Who do I sue? I had my recorder on and caught the whole thing...

t33j

John,

Completely understandable. I know a time between search limit can be implemented, and don't see why the captcha couldn't just be applied to searching instead of posting.

Could you not just set a limit on the search function? Searches blocks and such. A ton of other forms I use have a comment like "You have done to many searches please try again later" or something like that. Also does the Captcha have to be both on the search and the posting?
+1

Last edited:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Ouch! I didn't realize the captcha was for posting as well. I have fixed that. Let me know if it worked.

John

John,

Completely understandable. I know a time between search limit can be implemented, and don't see why the captcha couldn't just be applied to searching instead of posting.

+1