• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car carry question

notuzin

I live in Texas. While open carry was passed this year, your firearm must be concealed if you are in your vehicle.
If approached by law enforcement, they must not be able to see your gun.

Any suggestions??

stealthyeliminator

If you have a CHL/LTC (concealed handgun license/license to carry) you may open carry in your vehicle under the same conditions as outside of your vehicle - that is, in a belt or shoulder holster.

Otherwise, when carrying in your vehicle, it must remain concealed, but it sounds like you are aware of that limitation.

As far as general recommendations go, I would highly recommend keeping the handgun in a holster that covers the trigger, regardless of where you end up placing the handgun in the vehicle (inside center console, glove box, etc). This will help make sure that nothing (pens, keys, anything) makes its way into the trigger area and pulls the trigger inadvertently.

If you absolutely must leave the vehicle and leave the handgun inside, be sure all windows are up and all of the doors are locked. Try to minimize time away from the vehicle, and if possible keep an eye on it as much as possible (for example, if you must enter a business, try to keep an eye out the window at the vehicle)

Hope this helps. If you have a more specific question please feel free to ask

JoeSparky

Centurion
I live in Texas. While open carry was passed this year, your firearm must be concealed if you are in your vehicle.
If approached by law enforcement, they must not be able to see your gun.

Any suggestions??

Suggesting that efforts resulting in the anti OC Laws and others laws in TEXAS be abolished, modified, altered, change as to eliminate ANY REQUIREMENT to conceal leaving the act of concealing an otherwise lawfully carried firearm OPTIONAL per the wishes of the carrier!

solus

Judgemental much? to a user with a low post count no less. Does seem to be decidedly unfriendly.

joe, third personal attack in two days...quite impressed ~ nawlll not really cuz i so do enjoy your continued exhibition of your obvious maturity on a publicly read forum.

later joe...

ipse

JoeSparky

Centurion
joe, third personal attack in two days...quite impressed ~ nawlll not really cuz i so do enjoy your continued exhibition of your obvious maturity on a publicly read forum.

later joe...

ipse

No Personal Attack has occurred. Simply observations made.

Hoping you have a great, joyous, happy, and fulfilling Christmas Holiday and even a great Thanksgiving!

martinious

I'm always wearing Concealed Carry Holsters and there wasn't never problems with that. I just cover it with my casual shirt and that's it. If they asked me if I got a gun, I just told them where is, I don't touch or move my hands. My hands are always on wheel. But I told them where is my gun and twice they asked me to step out of a car so I ask them to open doors and my hands were always where they could see it. And after they check my ID and gun documents they leave me :D

Hope I helped you!
Have a nice day mate!

And great community here :D
Cheers :D

Maverick9

I'm always wearing Concealed Carry Holsters and there wasn't never problems with that. I just cover it with my casual shirt and that's it. If they asked me if I got a gun, I just told them where is, I don't touch or move my hands. My hands are always on wheel. But I told them where is my gun and twice they asked me to step out of a car so I ask them to open doors and my hands were always where they could see it. And after they check my ID and gun documents they leave me :D

Hope I helped you!
Have a nice day mate!

And great community here :D
Cheers :D

Welcome to OCDO.

As to 'what you do when in Texas', it may help you to know the actual law:

It doesn't say anything about talkin' about your "weapon", sir. Know the law, follow the law.

===
Must Inform: "YES”

Gov Code Sec. 411.205.
Requirement to Display License.
If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

----
Note: (from the FAQ creator): When an Officer ask you for ID you must then give them your Permit/License to Carry, if you are carrying at that time when you give them your ID. If not you are breaking the law. There is no penalty if you don’t inform them but as a law abiding citizen we must follow the law.
----

I also note that the section of Texas Law seems to omit 'when stopped or detained', as in 'driving', or just walking around. One might assume it means driving, but since when has anyone been stopped in a car by a magistrate?

FWIW

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
As to 'what you do when in Texas', it may help you to know the actual law:

It doesn't say anything about talkin' about your "weapon", sir. Know the law, follow the law.

FWIW
And make sure that your local law enforcement complies with the law. After all, ignorance of the law is no excuse.