• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC, OC Free For Six Months...

Beretta92FSLady

Before I break this down like a fraction I just want to clearly state: Owning, and Carrying Firearms is a Constitutional Right, PERIOD.

I left OC for many months, it may have been six months, it may have been a bit less. During that time I did not CC, I did not OC. In fact, my wagon is sitting in my safe, collecting dust.

Basically, I have no desire, and see no reason for myself to OC and/or CC, and no reason to continue owning firearms. I used to see a reason, I realize what has changed is not my environment--we do live in a dangerous world--, rather, it is me. Over the months I have incrementally rid my life of nearly all my firearms, and it has been Liberating for me. All I have left is my Beretta 92FS...and that's going as well.

What about my personal safety? What about the safety of my family...of my children...of my wife?? There are many ways that I can protect my family.

(This is not the sole reason I am not longer carrying, nor owning firearms). I have questioned, for four years now, whether it was necessary for me to shoot a person...it seemed necessary at the time. Part of the reason the person was shot is because there was a risk of losing my sidearm to my attacker if I didn't act; do you follow me here, the mere act of carrying painted me into a corner where I had to pull the trigger, if not for my safety from his fists, but for the safety of not having my sidearm taken from me, and used against me by a ****** maniac.--don't think for a second I'm using some Leftist anti-Firearm BS argument here...just typing out what's in my mind. There have been many days that I question whether I am better-off living with knowing that I shot someone than knowing that I got into a knock-down drag-out fist-fight with the person who attacked my family, and I.--I suppose we will never know. I stand by what I did, but I do not stand by continuing to own, and carry firearms, personally.

We all draw lines. In this area of my life I have drawn a line, and that line is me no longer owning, and obviously carrying, firearms. Will it be the case a month from now, ten years from now...I can't say. All I know is this has been building a long time for me, and I am finished with wielding those tools.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I hope that even though you know the dangers out there in this world,
That you Never are forced to revisit this decision,
And question the merit of going without the tools of ultimate self defense,
For you and the ones that love and depend on you!

Brace

I think about that too. If I ever defend myself there's no question I will spend time in jail before trial. A friend of mine is a pacifist. He understands that evil exists in this world, and that violence can sometimes prevent it from hurting innocents. He thinks that the use of violence corrupts the soul though, and has decided that for his own sake, he would rather die trying to talk down a violent lunatic than shoot them and live. He has indicated that if other people's lives were at stake, he would consider violence, but he would take his life in penance after the fact. I respect the consistency of his logic. As far as I'm concerned though, my soul is already fully corrupt, so I have no need to protect it from the evils of a violent mindset. I don't start trouble with people. If a person starts trouble with me for standard criminal reasons, shooting them is pragmatic. If they do so because of who and what I am then I would prefer a world without them, and self-defense at that point is just legal permission. I honestly doubt I would even care about my own survival in such circumstances.

If you can find peace of mind without a gun you probably save yourself a great deal of unpleasantness, but the risk is that one day you might be completely subject to someone else's control, and that person can choose to ignore your humanity. My worst memories are of screaming "stop", "please", "don't", "I'm sorry", and getting no response except further pain. Being on either side of that violence means understanding the true nature of free will. I would rather feel empowered but carry a poison in my heart than ever feel those feelings of powerlessness and alienation again.

Beretta92FSLady

Don't get me wrong, I will still fight if attacked. I'm merely choosing to no longer carry, and own firearms. I have had more peace of mind without a firearm, than I had with one. Regardless of carry or not, the world is still an unpredictable, and potentially dangerous place.

Last edited:

Kopis

people at work regularly ask me about carrying a firearm/getting their HCP. I encourage them to think long and hard if they can pull the trigger in the moment, if they are willing to go to the range once per month minimum and stay proficient in handling their firearm etc. Carrying a firearm is not for everyone, it is a huge responsiblity. You've thought out your decision and i don't think anyone here will knock you for it.

moonie

I can certainly understand and respect this decision. I even support you in your decision. It is a very heavy burden and cannot be taken lightly. Myself, I cannot imagine watching violence being done to someone I care about and not being able to do something about it. I am prepared for the consequences and I couldn't live with myself for not doing everything I could to ensure my wife and children are protected.

If you are unsure, unprepared or have any reservation you should not carry a firearm.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
I have had more peace of mind without a firearm, than I had with one.

This has been my experience also. At some point I realized that my peace of mind is not required for being peaceful. What the mind does is independent of what transpires in reality. This is of course a topic unrelated to firearm ownership or manner of carry. Or at least only tangentially related to firearms, since the firearm is not responsible for your lack of peace of mind. Peace of mind can be affected by nearly everything, which is why it is so sought after. Ignoring the lack of peace in the mind may be the only effective means to achieving peace of mind . . .

Redbaron007

It is obvious you have struggled with this for some time. It is apparent you have thoroughly thought this through and made a decision based upon your personal thoughts and circumstances. Each individual is entitled to do so. There will be some who will disagree with you, and that is ok too. I respect your decision.

The bottom line as I see it is, with this lifestyle you have chosen, I hope it doesn't dovetail into action against those who do make a decision to CC/OC; meaning actively pursuing stricter laws/regulations/background checks etc., based upon your rationale as a template for all.

paramedic70002

I'm not following your logic.

You were viciously attacked.

Because you were armed? Did the assailant give you reason to believe he wanted to take your firearm? As a larceny or to use against you? Or did you just "feel" that the firearm would be taken?

Were you OCing or CCing during this event? Did you know your attacker?

Your possession of a firearm allowed you to escape serious harm against an attacker.

You defended your life, successfully, and apparently suffered no permanent legal issues regarding continued ownership of firearms or a CCW permit. Therefore in the eyes of the law you were "righteous."

You do not provide details of the life changing encounter.

You are divesting yourself of the ability to even defend your home, and family, against attack.

You no longer believe that firearms ownership is important.

You apparently do not hunt.

Could all this could have been avoided by a retention holster, and/or pepper spray, and/or avoidance?

I personally don't think I could ever come to your conclusion, or that you have made a logical and convincing argument to us. It seems to me that you cannot accept possibly having to take a human life, and are willing to sacrifice your own to that end. I have known good people who stated as much. Some are against the taking of life on a human level; why they are not against others taking their lives escapes me. Some use their religious beliefs as validation; there is much in religion that also validates lawful self defense and killing. See my signature line for one such example.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
To the Lady,

You have been a welcome friend on this board and its good to see you are well and continue to support the 2nd amendment.

In so far as your needing (or perceived need in the future) to use your firearm to defend yourself; the law and I acknowledge that you have had this right. You should not second guess your decisions.

But I think that you have only looked at the 2nd amendment from the perspective that you have the right not only to protect yourself from criminals but also to protect yourself from the government.

I'm sure if you feel the need again to carry you will do it.

I guess this is goodbye...come back anytime

OC for ME

To the Lady,

You have been a welcome friend on this board and its good to see you are well and continue to support the 2nd amendment.

In so far as your needing (or perceived need in the future) to use your firearm to defend yourself; the law and I acknowledge that you have had this right. You should not second guess your decisions.

But I think that you have only looked at the 2nd amendment from the perspective that you have the right not only to protect yourself from criminals but also to [strike]protect yourself from the government.[/strike]

She is not predisposed to restrain government, nor to pursue liberty except for she.

Beretta92FSLady

*snippers*

I personally don't think I could ever come to your conclusion, or that you have made a logical and convincing argument to us.*snippers*
Good luck to you.

Sorry for hacking your response up.

I offered no logical, and convincing argument because I'm not arguing for any other thing but me not owning firearms, and me not carrying firearms.

Good luck to you as well.

Beretta92FSLady

To the Lady,

But I think that you have only looked at the 2nd amendment from the perspective that you have the right not only to protect yourself from criminals but also to protect yourself from the government.

Agreed, if I feel the need to carry again, I will.

I sold my Beretta 92FS today, the last firearm. It's refreshing to me. As I stated, this has been building for some years now...it's good to be resolving this nagging issue I have been struck with for some time.

I'm in no way anti-OC. People ought to carry in any safe way they see fit.

I have some critiquing, but it's not about OC; it's about the politicization of OC by Anti's, and by Pro's.--I will stick to the OT, though.

Beretta92FSLady

It is obvious you have struggled with this for some time. It is apparent you have thoroughly thought this through and made a decision based upon your personal thoughts and circumstances. Each individual is entitled to do so. There will be some who will disagree with you, and that is ok too. I respect your decision.

The bottom line as I see it is, with this lifestyle you have chosen, I hope it doesn't dovetail into action against those who do make a decision to CC/OC; meaning actively pursuing stricter laws/regulations/background checks etc., based upon your rationale as a template for all.

Nah, I'm not anti-OC.

As for Laws, Regulations, and Background Checks, I have, and have shared my views on all of those on this Page many times LOL.

One thing I don't agree with is Enhanced Charges if you use a Firearm.

Of course I wasn't charged with shooting the person I shot...but: If I were charged I would have received 5 years for using a firearm, and less than a year for the actual Assault. Now, if I would had used a knife, I would have not been looking at 5 years for using the firearm...as if a handgun is any more deadly than a knife, baseball bat, etc., which is one of many reasons why I am of the opinion Felons ought not be barred from owning, and carrying firearms.

Maverick9

I can understand not carrying on your person out in the world. Perhaps you don't realize it but all the training, the learning to sense danger, not go to bad areas, keep car doors locked, and how to avoid escalation will still benefit you. I hope you are not still a victim of the fear.

I'm puzzled by and do not see the wisdom for not having a home self-defense firearm, especially if you have robust Castle Doctrine laws.

Given that just racking a shotgun can deter a burglar inside the home, the chances you have to actually shoot someone is almost nil. Having a firearm near my bedside is comforting. I have layered SD meaning the chances I'll have to shoot are negligible...BUT, alone on dark and stormy nights, it's a comfort. If it's no longer that for you (having actually shot someone, I get it), then so be it.

Have you had counseling to help you with any PTSD?

Good luck to you and be safe.

eye95

She is not predisposed to restrain government, nor to pursue liberty except for she.

Yeah, she thinks the only restraint on government is democracy, which is no restraint.

We now know the real reason she left. She is not really committed to a universal RKBA.

meh. I hope she stays gone this time. I don't think she will. She likes the attention that comes from saying goodbye way too much.

Beretta92FSLady

Yeah, she thinks the only restraint on government is democracy, which is no restraint.

We now know the real reason she left. She is not really committed to a universal RKBA.

meh. I hope she stays gone this time. I don't think she will. She likes the attention that comes from saying goodbye way too much.

You are correct, I am not committed to a Universal RKBA, as you define it to be.

I came here to update, and wrap things up. I count on a horses ass begrudging me that. Sometimes you have to step away from the trees to see the forest as it actually is, not as you constructed it to be.