• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC Permit in Illinois

AKj

Another posting leads me to ask this specific question about Illinois' approach to out of state CC permits approvals. Say one flies to Chicago and takes an approved 16 hour course there, takes finger prints there using the approved electronic system, then fills out the forms along with showing that a current permit for the home state of Alaska is in place.
I am reading other threads that lead me to think that the applicant would not be granted the Illinois Cc permit because s/he does not come from Hawaii.

Is this true?

Just trying to save time, effort, & bucks if it is known the application will be denied anyway.

RANDYT

Correct, IL will only approve out of state residents from Hawaii, Virginia, NC, and one other state that I can't think of right now.

JustaShooter

1. Hawaii
2. New Mexico
3. South Carolina
4. Virginia

Cite: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Your cite isn't working - unfortunately, Handgunlaw.us has decided to crack down on so-called "hot linking" to their content. Normally done to prevent linking to images hosted elsewhere, they have chosen to do so with any non-html content they serve, including PDFs. Unfortunately, that means you cannot link directly to any useful content on their site since as far as I can tell they do not have an html version of their state-specific information.

rightwinglibertarian

Yours is a good observation. I would have never looked but for your spot-on comment. Follow the (click-through) money.

*blinks* I can understand them wanting to prevent the theft of images but doing this to PDFs? Thats no protection as anyone can save the PDF from the browser and some smartphones will download the PDF instead of opening it in the browser. I must be having a dim moment or not had enough coffee. In any case this works.

If i've missed something and links like that are not allowed of course I will remove it.

AKj

I will keep my eyes on the topic and decide whether it is worth having the Il Cc once my state opens up there.

junglebob

I will keep my eyes on the topic and decide whether it is worth having the Il Cc once my state opens up there.

I understand that the criteria for allowing non-residents to get an Illinois CHL is that their state has laws similar to Illinois. I doubt that they are going to decide anytime soon that Alaska has similar laws. For your sake I hope they don't, it will mean no constitutional carry in Alaska, probably a 3 day waiting period to buy a handgun and other things you don't like.

I looked up CPZs in Alaska on handgunlaw.us and I find that you can't carry in a place that serves alcohol, so no restaurant carry if they serve. Also you can't carry in a private residence without permission. And no parking in a lot adjacent to a day care center? Also I see you have a duty to inform. In these cases I prefer Illinois law which gives me more freedom. In Illinois there is no duty to inform, unless asked.

Last edited:

RANDYT

By similar they mean, your state reports voluntary admissions to mental health facilities.

Last edited:

AKj

JungleBob, I would like to clarify the restaurant carry principle in AK. One can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. One cannot carry in a tavern/bar that serves food. It requires the carrier to know the type of permit the establishment has before entering.

SteveInCO

One who is carrying, in AK, cannot consume alcohol at the restaurant that is serving it though.

And possibly ought not do so regardless of the law.

I don't believe Colorado makes a distinction between a restaurant and a tavern/bar. Yet another illustration of how every state has its quirks and you really ought to know them before you go.

(I won't even open carry in a state if I see a statement like "some local governments may prohibit..." because I haven't the time or energy to look up the law in every single fricking dot and county that happens to be on the interstate I am using. It's bad enough here where there is exactly ONE exception, because it's hard to tell whether you are in the City and Cesspit of Denver or one of its suburbs. I just stay the hell away from anywhere I am not positive is a suburb. All this of course being an argument for pre-emption.)

rightwinglibertarian

And possibly ought not do so regardless of the law.

I don't believe Colorado makes a distinction between a restaurant and a tavern/bar. Yet another illustration of how every state has its quirks and you really ought to know them before you go.

(I won't even open carry in a state if I see a statement like "some local governments may prohibit..." because I haven't the time or energy to look up the law in every single fricking dot and county that happens to be on the interstate I am using. It's bad enough here where there is exactly ONE exception, because it's hard to tell whether you are in the City and Cesspit of Denver or one of its suburbs. I just stay the hell away from anywhere I am not positive is a suburb. All this of course being an argument for pre-emption.)

Do you need to though? If you stay on the interstate you come under federal law and only have to deal with state law if you exit if i've read the posts here on OCDO correctly.

JustaShooter

Do you need to though? If you stay on the interstate you come under federal law and only have to deal with state law if you exit if i've read the posts here on OCDO correctly.

Federal law only protects you if you transport under Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, rules (see http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A). In general, you must be legally able to possess the firearm at both ends of the trip and the firearm must be unloaded, and both the firearm and any ammunition must be inaccessible to the occupants.

SteveInCO

Indeed. And I will certainly want to have the gun on me if I exit the car to gas up, grab a snack, or get rid of some used fluids. Iowa being about 300 miles across, I will have to gas up somewhere in it, the alternative being to gas up in Illinois which is even more anti OC (like, perfectly anti OC).

Fortunately my CO CCW is good in Iowa. Not great, not ideal, but better than nuthin'.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
IL continues to give just enough of the finger to its neighbors to ensure that it remains drive-through country where we do not stop and spend money. Ironically, the most dangerous, per crime stats, areas I visit or travel through are all in IL. But now that I can be armed just driving through I'm not stressed about it anymore, Just irritated at IL stupidity on the issue, but then gov't stupidity is the reason I am no longer a tax payer in that state.