• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chase bank a federal building???

scorpio_vette

The other day a employee at a chase bank here in watertown got all huffy and puffed up like a peacock telling me that the bank is a federal building, and that it is illegal to carry in federal buildings.

somehow it never crossed my mind that a bank would/could be a federal building. She kept on and on and on and on repeating that they are a FDIC bank (whatever that means. sorry for my ignorance, but i've never even owned a checkbook my entire life. i try to stay away from/out of banks, and do everything i can electronically. the few times that i have to go into banks, i usually have to ask them how to do everything because i've never had to do that before. the other day i was trying to get a money order. never done that before. didn't even know what that was or how it worked).

so anyways.
FDIC bank=federal building???

if there is in fact such a thing as a bank being a federal building, what banks do you guys recommend that are not federal buildings, and that have full service 24/7 ATM's (that allow cash and check deposits, and depositing checks via cell phone)

and if this whole deal is a line of BS, how do i go about dealing with the situation if i have to go back in there in person some day (actually possibly near future as i wanted to start setting up a savings account for my son)

JJC

FDIC is a federal insurance program for you funds that are kept at the bank.

Don't pay any attention to the person that spouted lies to you.

As for an account for your son, made sure the bank doesn't charge an inactivity fee. It could eat up what money your son has in the account, if they don't make regular additions to the account. (happen to a friend of mine, her son had $75 in the account and hadn't used it in a year).

All the money was gone due to inactivity on the account.

IMHO find a credit union.

JJC

MainelyGlock

That employee is either lying, or very ignorant. A bank insured by the FDIC (federal deposit insurance corporation) is NOT a federal building, though the FDIC is a federal company I believe. Next time, tell him/her off and to learn what they're talking about.

scorpio_vette

FDIC is a federal insurance program for you funds that are kept at the bank.

Don't pay any attention to the person that spouted lies to you.

As for an account for your son, made sure the bank doesn't charge an inactivity fee. It could eat up what money your son has in the account, if they don't make regular additions to the account. (happen to a friend of mine, her son had $75 in the account and hadn't used it in a year).

All the money was gone due to inactivity on the account.

IMHO find a credit union.

JJC

the lady that was helpful, (not the run going on like a broken record about FDIC) actually made a couple phone calls and did some reading to make sure my son wouldn't loose his money. she said that if i open an account for him now (he's 3years old), that it would have ZERO fees because he's a minor. once he turned 12, i could get him a bank card so he could access his account, and still have ZERO fees. but once he turns 18, then he'd fall under all the normal rules and get fees unless he was getting direct deposits or making more than 5 transactions a month.

the reason i like chase, is because as i said earlier, i have never dealt with banks much, and avoid going in like the plaque. so being able to deposit cash and checks via their ATM at any time night or day and weekends is nice, and i can even deposit checks via my cell phone. when i opened my account with them over a year ago, i didn't know of any other bank that had those service. actually i still don't to be honest.

MainelyGlock

the lady that was helpful, (not the run going on like a broken record about FDIC) actually made a couple phone calls and did some reading to make sure my son wouldn't loose his money. she said that if i open an account for him now (he's 3years old), that it would have ZERO fees because he's a minor. once he turned 12, i could get him a bank card so he could access his account, and still have ZERO fees. but once he turns 18, then he'd fall under all the normal rules and get fees unless he was getting direct deposits or making more than 5 transactions a month.

the reason i like chase, is because as i said earlier, i have never dealt with banks much, and avoid going in like the plaque. so being able to deposit cash and checks via their ATM at any time night or day and weekends is nice, and i can even deposit checks via my cell phone. when i opened my account with them over a year ago, i didn't know of any other bank that had those service. actually i still don't to be honest.

If you are current or former military, go for USAA. I switched to them from Bank of America because I have a large distrust for huge banks now, and although they may technically classify as one, they are FAR superior in my opinion. They have no actual branches, but you can deposit/withdraw money and checks at a bunch of places like grocery stores, ANY other bank, and even the UPS/FedEx stores. My father is active Navy and I have all my bank accounts and insurance through them.

Stanley

Usaa has branches. We have two near me...

They are just new.

Been with them for 16 years, never a single problem.

Last edited:

E6chevron

Go back to Chase Bank in Watertown, get the name of this lady, and then either talk to her boss in person or on the phone, and discuss her conversation with you.

They will probably deny it, but she will get at least a warning about giving out false and misleading information. Banks have to be careful about employing people who lie and misrepresent their employer. Pushed hard enough, it might have been fraudulent for her to claim that Chase bank is a Federal bank, in a Federal building.

The closest bank CALLED Federal is the District 7, Federal Reserve Bank located in Chicago IL. District 9, Federal Reserve Bank is located in Minneapolis MN. Even they are private, locally controlled corporations, which were created by the Federal Government, and owned by member banks.

scorpio_vette

If you are current or former military, go for USAA. I switched to them from Bank of America because I have a large distrust for huge banks now, and although they may technically classify as one, they are FAR superior in my opinion. They have no actual branches, but you can deposit/withdraw money and checks at a bunch of places like grocery stores, ANY other bank, and even the UPS/FedEx stores. My father is active Navy and I have all my bank accounts and insurance through them.

we actually just switched to USAA insurance, and my wife opened up a bank account with them not to long ago. my concern with them not having offices, is that if something does happen that i have to go in and deal with somebody face to face, i can't. and so i'm worried that it'll be easier for them to blow me off. but i'll look into it a bit more.

Go back to Chase Bank in Watertown, get the name of this lady, and then either talk to her boss in person or on the phone, and discuss her conversation with you.

They will probably deny it, but she will get at least a warning about giving out false and misleading information. Banks have to be careful about employing people who lie and misrepresent their employer. Pushed hard enough, it might have been fraudulent for her to claim that Chase bank is a Federal bank, in a Federal building.

The closest bank CALLED Federal is the District 7, Federal Reserve Bank located in Chicago IL. District 9, Federal Reserve Bank is located in Minneapolis MN. Even they are private, locally controlled corporations, which were created by the Federal Government, and owned by member banks.

thanks. will keep that in mind for next time i have to go there.

MainelyGlock

we actually just switched to USAA insurance, and my wife opened up a bank account with them not to long ago. my concern with them not having offices, is that if something does happen that i have to go in and deal with somebody face to face, i can't. and so i'm worried that it'll be easier for them to blow me off. but i'll look into it a bit more.

Since they don't have branches open everywhere yet you would have to call, however, they are incredibly helpful and supportive over the phone, and emailing too if that's your thing. I sent an email about my car insurance being raised a few weeks back, and within the hour got a response and a solution. So far for me, as well as my father, they have been nothing but good to us. I hope your experience with them is the same.

JoeSparky

Centurion
FDIC is a federal insurance program to protect your deposits in an approved account. That making the bank federally own property make just as much sense as since a home is insured by "state farm" makes the home STATE FARMS PROPERTY!

Sorcice

I hate chase. Fees out the wazoo and horrible customer service. I use summit credit union. All accounts free of charge, lower overdraft fees(if that ever happens), carry friendly, and way better customer service. Pretty much any credit union will be better than a bank though.

UtahRSO

Because of something Chase did to me, and to many other people, I believe there is a class-action lawsuit in the works against them. Chase bank is the last place I would put any of my money.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP A bank is private property.

No, no, no. It is a Freudian slip. Bank employees who declare their bank to be federal property are letting out the secret that the banking system is in bed with the government, so much so that even the employees forget there actually [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] used to be a distinction between the government and the banking system.

"Oh, thank you, ma'am. Are you really sure you're allowed to reveal the depth of collusion between your employer and the government?"

MainelyGlock

I read somewhere that Chase is very anti-gun, and will even deny credit to companies that want to open a gun shop.

Screw 'em. No more bailouts, please! They failed the latest stress test, so here's to hoping they go under and stop screwing everybody over!

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I wonder what happens to John Q. Public when they go under?
What do y'all think is the reason/purpose for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (1933 Glass-Steagal Act), that was being damned here? Anyone left holding the bag of a failed bank was not doing due diligence and gets no sympathy.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
What do y'all think is the reason/purpose for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (1933 Glass-Steagal Act)....
You mean the one that was repealed in 1999 with the establishment of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act because the poor banks didn't have enough freedom in their transactions? Down the slippery slope we go.... Oh, by the way, even though the amount insured has increased from $100,000 to $250,000, to keep pace with inflation, the FDIC should now insure your deposits up to $1,694,915.25 . :monkey