• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP - proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence

fully_armed_biker

imported post

I know this site is dedicated to OC; but, I was hoping someone can answer a question about getitng my CHP. On the VA State Police Website, it says...

"The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:" And in the list of what qualifies as "proof" it has;

Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

So...my question is, do I just need to make a copy of my DD214 and submit it with my application for a CHP?

darthmord

imported post

You can do that. We took a CHP class at our local range and used copies of those certs to apply.

Be aware that your DD-214 does have your SSN on it so if you give them a copy of it, make sure the copy has the SSN redacted. CHP info is often treated as public info.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Yeah...I was just thinking about that. I'll make a copy of it here at work and hand-carry the original with me, making sure my SSN is blacked out on the copy. Thanks for the info!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
...But definitely bring your original DD-214. I offered to bring a copy of mine and they wanted to see the original to make a "certified copy".
Requiring a certified copy would seem to be extra-legal, IMHO.

I have provided documents for other purposes whereon I inscribed: "I certify this to be a true copy." Then signed and dated it. Never had one refused.

You could go one step further and have a notary certify/sign it, but I do not think that is needed.

Yata hey

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
...But definitely bring your original DD-214. I offered to bring a copy of mine and they wanted to see the original to make a "certified copy".

I have provided documents for other purposes whereon I inscribed: "I certify this to be a true copy." Then signed and dated it. Never had one refused.

You could go one step further and have a notary certify/sign it, but I do not think that is needed.

Yata hey
Well...my wife is a notary so it would bepretty easyto have the copy notarized...not sure of the legalities of her notarizing something for me though...I'll have to check on it.

Marco

imported post

If you don't want to use your DD-214 a Hunters Safety Course is the cheapest way to go, iirc.

Glock27Bill

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

Yata hey
Well...my wife is a notary so it would bepretty easyto have the copy notarized...not sure of the legalities of her notarizing something for me though...I'll have to check on it.

[align=justify]
[/align]

[align=justify]Under the Virginia Notary Act, a notary may not perform any notarial act with respect to any document if: [/align]
[align=justify]
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]The notary is a party to the document [/align]
[align=justify]The notary’s spouse is a party to the document [/align]
[align=justify]The notary or his or her spouse has a "direct beneficial interest" in the document [/align]
[align=justify]Notaries should not notarize any document when there is any possibility that the contents of the document will benefit them or their spouse. Notaries may notarize wills in which the notary is fiduciary. Notaries must NEVER notarize wills in which they are named beneficiaries. If you are uncertain about the difference, please consult an attorney before notarizing. [/align]Regardless of whether any beneficial or other interests exist, a notary may never take his or her own acknowledgment, oath, affidavit, or deposition.

[align=justify]
[/font]
[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]http://www.commonwealth.virginia.gov/OfficialDocuments/Notary/2009NotaryHandbook.pdf[/align][/font][/font]

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Nuh-uh. Nothing in the law requires you to submit an original with your SSN on it. Nor an original without an SSN.

Remember, you are attesting all the information in the application is true and correct, with a notary witnessing your signature. Should be more than enough.

My court took a copy, SSN redacted.

Any more of this "bring the original" by a court deputy clerk should be straightened out by the citizen.

As far as I am concerned, if the court wants to question the validity of my "proof of competence" the same cop that does the back-round check can call the NRA instructor. Or, the judge can accompany me to the shooting range.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Glock27Bill...Yeah, that's what I found out when I asked my wife about it tonight.

Citizen...the more I thought about it...and especially after finding out the wife can't notarize it, I think that's what I'm going to do...SSN is OPTIONAL on the CHP app. I'm going to signa copylike grapeshot suggested...that I attest that the above information is true and correct.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
Glock27Bill...Yeah, that's what I found out when I asked my wife about it tonight.

Citizen...the more I thought about it...and especially after finding out the wife can't notarize it, I think that's what I'm going to do...SSN is OPTIONAL on the CHP app. I'm going to signa copylike grapeshot suggested...that I attest that the above information is true and correct.

May I suggest using his wording for the photocopy? Sounds like he's got experience.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Any more of this "bring the original" by a court deputy clerk should be straightened out by the Citizen.
How very generous of you to volunteer. :lol:

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Any more of this "bring the original" by a court deputy clerk should be straightened out by the Citizen.

Yata hey

Hey!! :cuss:

I wrote that with a small "c". Don't go gettin' me into more work!

Don't you have some friction primers that need polished or something?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:

Yata hey

Hey!! :cuss:

I wrote that with a small "c". Don't go gettin' me into more work!

Don't you have some friction primers that need polished or something?
Touche - you left the field open. I just pulled the caisson up and filled the breach. :lol:

Yata hey

virginiatuck

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
If you don't want to use your DD-214 a Hunters Safety Course is the cheapest way to go, iirc.
Yes, for someone who doesn't have a DD-214, that's the cheapest, I'd say. My proof of demonstrated competence was the Pennsylvania Hunter Safety course that my parents paid for when I was 11.

The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries offers a Hunter Education course at no charge. There's even an on-line, Internet-based option, though I haven't tried it. I've attended one in-person recently, as a refresher, and it wasn't a total waste of time. If it's been a while since you've taken one of those courses, you might learn something.

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
... On the VA State Police Website, it says...
Yes ... a DD-214 w/ "honorable" characterization meets the requirement.

Keep in mind that resident CHPs are actually issued by the local court, not directly by the VSP.

The circuit court in my area has a pretty good document detailing their process; complete w/ mailing address and POC info ...

... your's down in Tidewater might have the same.