• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed weapons would be allowed in public buildings in Missouri under proposal

OC for ME

JEFFERSON CITY • Concealed weapons could be allowed on college campuses, churches, childcare facilities, polling places and private businesses if one Missouri House measure gains traction.

Contact your reps and voice your support for this (these) legislative initiatives.

OC for ME

Technically, the prohibited places in RSMo 571.107 apply, explicitly, to CC, not OC...yeah, I know, the plain reading of the language in the statutes mean little to cops, prosecutors or judges. Now that CC is lawful without a permit the prohibited places are even further irrelevant.

The only rub is the OC with a permit in political subdivisions, who enact such anti-liberty ordinances, remains in RSMo 21.750.3. With a repub gov, super majorities in both chambers, you'd think it would be a slam dunk. We are talking politicians after all.

Top cops all around the state, who profess their support for the 2A will caterwaul about how the end times are neigh if the list of prohibited places is rightly pared down to logical exceptions to our exercising of our 2A guarantee.

eye95

Watch out of the “logical exceptions” language! You’re gonna set off the I-can-carry-anywhere-I-wanna crowd.

You can defuse them by refering to the exceptions as places that we generally cannot be—but to which we sometimes may gain access as long as we are not carrying. It is really hard for them to defend their “right” to be in and to carry into the local police armory without making almost every reasonable person on the planet shake their head and facepalm.

If a publicly-owned place is generally open to the pubic and does not have armed guards who protecting valuable resources or prisoners, then not allowing entry while carrying becomes unreasonable.

OC for ME

RSMo *571.107. Permit does not authorize concealed firearms, where — penalty for violation. — 1. A concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, ... No concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, valid concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into: ...

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, or a concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises. ...

OC not mentioned anywhere.

RSMo 21.730.3(2) In any jurisdiction in which the open carrying of firearms is prohibited by ordinance, the open carrying of firearms shall not be prohibited in accordance with the following:
(a) Any person with a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit who is open carrying a firearm shall be required to have a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit from this state, or a permit from another state that is recognized by this state, in his or her possession at all times;
(b) Any person open carrying a firearm in such jurisdiction shall display his or her concealed carry endorsement or permit upon demand of a law enforcement officer;
(c) In the absence of any reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity, no person carrying a concealed or unconcealed firearm shall be disarmed or physically restrained by a law enforcement officer unless under arrest; and
(d) Any person who violates this subdivision shall be subject to the penalty provided in section 571.121. ...

Been this way for several years.

Ghost1958

Watch out of the “logical exceptions” language! You’re gonna set off the I-can-carry-anywhere-I-wanna crowd.

You can defuse them by refering to the exceptions as places that we generally cannot be—but to which we sometimes may gain access as long as we are not carrying. It is really hard for them to defend their “right” to be in and to carry into the local police armory without making almost every reasonable person on the planet shake their head and facepalm.

If a publicly-owned place is generally open to the pubic and does not have armed guards who protecting valuable resources or prisoners, then not allowing entry while carrying becomes unreasonable.

Opinion. Who made you the judge of what makes a person reasonable ?

When you can show me in the 2A the word police, or " reasonable restriction, limited , or a dozen other phrases folks opine which are simply not factually correct in the relation to the 2A, maybe you have a point. Not until then though.