• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Congratulations Puerto Rico !!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
BELLEVUE, WA – "A surprising victory for gun rights in Puerto Rico has eliminated the firearms registry and licensing requirements to purchase and carry in the Commonwealth, the Second Amendment Foundation has confirmed.

The class-action lawsuit challenged various articles in Puerto Rico’s gun law, which the court declared unconstitutional. Because of the ruling, Barreras said, Puerto Ricans may now carry openly or concealed without a permit, and they do not need to obtain a permit before purchasing a firearm."

http://www.saf.org/?p=6431

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
BELLEVUE, WA – "A surprising victory for gun rights in Puerto Rico has eliminated the firearms registry and licensing requirements to purchase and carry in the Commonwealth, the Second Amendment Foundation has confirmed.

The class-action lawsuit challenged various articles in Puerto Rico’s gun law, which the court declared unconstitutional. Because of the ruling, Barreras said, Puerto Ricans may now carry openly or concealed without a permit, and they do not need to obtain a permit before purchasing a firearm."

Awesome!

twoskinsonemanns

This is quite awesome. I have a good friend from Puerto Rico who told me how distressing the Gun restrictions are. Wonderful!

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

Well.. I will join in with a +1111.00

but I wonder if this only applies to the,,, them?

I would hope this ruling somewhow,,, can be applied to the others of the "US!",,,
here in the "States"?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

I would hope this ruling somewhow,,, can be applied to the others of the "US!",,,
here in the "States"?

Wonderful news, isn't it?

PR is a "Commonwealth" that is more of a territory/colony than a state. They have their "colonial" law which is then subject to federal law. While citizens of the US since 1917 they cannot vote for President, and their "elected" representative to the House of Representatives cannot vote there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_voting_rights_in_Puerto_Rico

The big question is, of course, if the Commonwealth will appeal the decision. While I hope not, there is every reason to expect them to. Why Puerto Rico is in the First Circuit (as well as why The US Virgin Islands are in the Third) has always been a mystery to me. But with MA, RI, CT, NH, and ME making up the Circuit it does not bode well for any appeal.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

here in the "States"?
Will be watching as to how this will be applied to those states within the 1st Circuit.

The First Circuit includes the Districts of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Puerto Rico and Rhode Island.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Will be watching as to how this will be applied to those states within the 1st Circuit.

The First Circuit includes the Districts of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Puerto Rico and Rhode Island.

Did you fail to read the article you cited?

Gottlieb said the lawsuit was brought in a Puerto Rican Commonwealth court, rather than a federal court. Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and thus is subject to federal court jurisdiction.

Unless appealed by PR the 1st Circuit will never get its hands on the case.

Sheesh!

stay safe.

rightwinglibertarian

The timing on this is interesting considering they are in masses of debt and barely made a payment and likely won't net time. I'm surprised PR didnt double the costs. But well done PR. Took you awhile but you finally learned you have no right to restrict the bearing of arms. Now go teach D.C and California!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Yeah, what changed in the last six months for the celebration to start?

pkbites

Great news.

Now, if you haven't already, pack up and take a trip there!

Puerto Rico is beautiful! And because it is a territory you don't need a visa, passport, or even to exchange currency. Plus the folks are super friendly and in most areas speak fluent English.

I've been there a couple times and intend on going again. It's an awesome place for a vacation and now with this news there is no excuse for everyone else to visit too!