• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conversation with management at Golden Corral ,Oshkosh

32HR MAG

imported post

Went to the Golden Corral in Oshkosh Last night,3/21.After paying for the buffet I started to wonder what the restaurants policy was concerning open carry.I am still not a regular open carrier,to many concerns,but I am getting better.
I asked an employee,server,waitress if they had a policy concerning open carry.This employee did not have a clue what open carry was much less any knowledge of a policy.She did say that she would mention the question to the manager.
So I go and start to fill up my plate with grub.As I am walking and filling, the manager starts talking to me to confirm the request of information about carrying in the restaurant.She, I felt was curious herself.We decided that I should call on tuesday when the owner returned from Atlanta and speak to him.I was happy with the way the conversation went and felt I left a good impression.
I continued to fill my plate,sat down to eat and the manager approached our table.She was so curious to know the answer that she called to Atlanta and spoke to the owner right away.The owner told her that they have no policy against open carry of firearms in the restaurant.He said that since it was legal in the state it was OK.

When she came to the table we talked for so long about open carry,Wi. firearm law and self defense that I did not get much to eat.She felt bad for "interrupting our meal" ,so she gave us 2 coupons for the next time we come back.

If you go to the Golden Corral in Oshkosh be sure to say "Hi" to Mary the manager.

M

McX

imported post

win with education, and plow the road for the rest!:monkey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

32HR MAG wrote:
Went to the Golden Corral in Oshkosh Last night,3/21.After paying for the buffet I started to wonder what the restaurants policy was concerning open carry.I
I am glad it worked out for you but for the future, please never ask - don't ask don't tell is the way to go - if you ask 98% of the time the answer will be no - asking is essentially goading the employees to make up policy and of course almost always they will eb reisk averse.

Asking is a sign of weakness and doubt - just carry and be discret - most people are not going to notice or question a confident person going about their business.

comp45acp

imported post

Mike wrote:
32HR MAG wrote:
 Went to the Golden Corral in Oshkosh Last night,3/21.After paying for the buffet I started to wonder what the restaurants policy was concerning open carry.I
I am glad it worked out for you but for the future, please never ask - don't ask don't tell is the way to go - if you ask 98% of the time the answer will be no - asking is essentially goading the employees to make up policy and of course almost always they will eb reisk averse.

Asking is a sign of weakness and doubt - just carry and be discret - most people are not going to notice or question a confident person going about their business.

Right on Mike. Never, ever ask. Open carry is lawful border to border except where it is not.

Mlutz

imported post

Mike wrote:
32HR MAG wrote:

I'm not sure being discreet will be an option when I get the holster for the "zinc brick" :lol:

TyGuy

imported post

I live about 40 minutes from the WI and IL border, but after my first OC experience this weekend I have a feeling that my family will be eating up North much more frequently.

Is there a Golden Coral near Beloit?

32HR MAG

imported post

Remember that the owner of this Golden Corral said it was OK in his restaurant.Not that it was some corporate policy.
To be honest.I still feel that at times it is OK to have some sort of conversation with management first.I have visited this restaurant several times.Enough that Mary,manager recognized us and stated that she never had a problem with my family causing trouble.
I do understand the idea of walking in holstered up and just being another customer.That is the way it is supposed to work.That world though is not real at this time.At this time in all places, as evidence by recent problems in similar places.

32HR MAG

imported post

Mike wrote:
32HR MAG wrote:

Tell that to the people at the Chinese Wok in Sussex.
How is asking a sign of weakness.I see it as a sign of common courtesy.Something our society is lacking.

TyGuy

imported post

The chinese wok thing turned out ok. No arrests, and 20-30 people came back and ate there while OC and they got free ice cream. So, I don't see that as a bad result.

I understand not asking to exercise a right. However, maybe one could walk up to the manager and inform the of the law the first time they OC at a business. Not asking for permission just telling them that it is legal. That might put other's minds at ease without you asking for permission.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Mike wrote:

Bears repeating!

TyGuy

imported post

I'm not saying that I would talk to the management ahead of time. I would just walk in and live my life like normal. My thought was to give an idea to someone that wanted to talk to the management, yet it would stop short of asking for permission.

TyGuy

imported post

I said that I won't tell them anything. I would just walk in and eat.

ffemt1079

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Are you going to tell the proprietor that trespass notice is legal too? If you're not an admitted attorney then mind your own business, please. Please!
Why don't you follow your own advise? Sometimes I find your posts very informative...the majority of the time you are just putting down other members because you can. Are you a lawyer? If not, mind your own business, please. Please!