• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Convince me not to buy this hand cannon....

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I think the Coonan's greatest appeal is the cool factor of its still-maintained uniqueness, combined with it being a rebirth of a design which was quite pioneering at the time it first came out, as it actually filled a power gap then. As one of the pioneers of all-stainless steel pistols, they had issues of slide galling at first, but I think they mostly addressed that with different alloys, and many makers of the day learned from their early mistake, most notably S&W.

WalkingWolf

On the subject of the 11-ounce .357 Magnum revolvers, I had one. I shot it a lot. Recoil doesn't bother me, but it does have effects. The recoil is so severe on this little revolver with Magnum loads that it absolutely will affect how well you shoot it, even if just how quickly, which is a critical factor in self-defense shootings. I carried mine with 4 .38 +P's and the last round a .357 Magnum.

If you have/get one of these, make sure you understand the special warning in the manual about testing your ammunition for bullet crimping. The lighter the revolver, the greater the recoil impulse (rate of change of acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity, which is the rate of change of position, for us geeks). While Federal Hydra-Shok 158-grain never broke a crimp, I would routinely see broken crimps and longer ammunition with other loads, including non+P .38's; obviously, I carried it with ammo that tested stable.

Do not put boot grips on it. I bought a beautiful pair of Goncalo Alves for mine. I fired off a cylinder of the aforementioned Hydra-Shoks. Because my fingers were down behind the trigger guard instead of below it, that super fast recoil impulse drove the trigger guard into my finger and chipped the bone. You can't make this up. It affected my hand for three months.

Later, the gun exploded with a factory Hornady .38. We were shooting in the desert. After a half-hour search, no parts of the top strap or cylinder could be found. With no way to prove it wasn't a reload, S&W at first refused to do anything except offer me another one at a few bucks off MSRP (still above street price). After 18 months of negotiating, I received an okay deal, but I picked a different revolver. I still don't know what happened, but there's no way I can trust a titanium cylinder again.
I have heard no complaints on the boards for Buffalo Bore ammo, but it is stout, and expensive. They sell a 38/44 loading which will not have the recoil of a 357 due to less powder to achieve pressure/velocity. They are over a buck a round.

I load for a Rossi 352(J frame) with 138gn Bayou Bullets wadcutters at 900fps out of the 352. That is plenty for self defense, I would not carry it for hunting though. I am not a fan of big booms, and wrist breaking recoil, even for fun shooting. So my loads tend to be tailored for the job I am using them for. That said I do have 38/44 bear loads, 158gn Bayou semi wadcutter at 1300fps from a 4 inch GP100. Less powder in the shorter case means less recoil, but still stout. These are not double action combat loads but the type for deliberate placement single action.

WalkingWolf

I am not a Glock fanboi, but this would be my choice. Glock 20, LW 40S&W barrel, LW 357sig barrel. Both my wife and I have Glock 22 but I prefer to carry a revolver most times. She does not like the recoil of the 22, so it is not her first choice. She prefers my Star Super A, but I have put it to the back of the safe. Great gun, but parts are hard to find.

She has small hands I doubt she could shoot the Coonan.

adk_mechetech

I think the Coonan's greatest appeal is the cool factor of its still-maintained uniqueness, combined with it being a rebirth of a design which was quite pioneering at the time it first came out, as it actually filled a power gap then. As one of the pioneers of all-stainless steel pistols, they had issues of slide galling at first, but I think they mostly addressed that with different alloys, and many makers of the day learned from their early mistake, most notably S&W.

I think you have accurately addressed the reason I am considering purchasing one. There is no real need, or reason to own it. It's not particularly convenient or better than anything else more readily available. It does shoot a very common round that can be easily obtained and is fairly cheap. If I wanted a carry gun of a similar size it would be .40 or 10mm hands down. This is not likely to be that gun. Loaded it weighs close to 4 lbs I think?

Every gun has to have a purpose, even if that purpose is "just because I can". It's unique, it's cool, and I'm sure it's a literal blast to shoot. I'm not the type to relegate a weapon to safe queen status. I buy things I intend to use. Even if I only shoot it a few times a year, this gun would see some range time and/or limited carry time.

I know little about 357 sig. I'm sure it's good, but that's missing the point a little. There are plenty of other firearms as I said that would be better/more practical and that's not what this is about.

Let's be clear, this is about that giddy school girl feeling you get when you found something really cool and want to show your friends. I'm not ashamed to admit that. :monkey

Freedom1Man

Simple, if you are only thinking about buying the gun, then you really do not want it. Simply buy it or send me the money and that way you'll no longer be tempted.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

Simple, if you are only thinking about buying the gun, then you really do not want it. Simply buy it or send me the money and that way you'll no longer be tempted.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

^^^

If you want the gun buy it. Why ask for opinions, when you know you just want to buy it. Follow the wisdom of the great philosopher Nike "Just do it!"

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Don't buy it because Obama will just take it away. The NRA told me so.

dont-feed-the-trolls.jpg

F350

OK. Don't buy it.

If you want a hand-cannon for coolness factor, you want a S&W 629 with a 3" barrel (.44 mag, stainless). Or, even better, a Ruger Alaskan. And, those are little cannons. Plenty of serious gunners consider anything under .454 Casull a wanna-be.

Full disclosure: I ain't in that class. I'm a wuss. No .44 mag for me. Been there, done that. Ouch. :D

Not bad for the ladies; a few years ago an acquaintance (John Ross author of Unintended Consequences) had S&W run a lot of 4" barrel 500s with no compensaters, I fired 10 rounds (2 cylinders) out of his, now THAT is a hand cannon!

Last edited:

adk_mechetech

So the one they had that I wanted was gone....

They did have one available to rent, so I did their 10 for $10 deal and got a chance to shoot it.

Now I know I will be buying one. It shoots like a 1911, recoil is only a bit more than a 45, but it is definitely louder. I was shooting JHP defensive loads since that's all they had available at the range. I'm sure it would have been different with a hotter heavier load. Controls are nice, trigger is nice, the gun is smooth to operate and feels good. The only thing I didn't like about it were the grips. The base model comes with smooth wood grips that are a bit slippery. I was looking around to see if anyone makes rubber grips like I have on my CZ 2075, but I haven't located any yet.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So the one they had that I wanted was gone....

They did have one available to rent, so I did their 10 for $10 deal and got a chance to shoot it.

Now I know I will be buying one. It shoots like a 1911, recoil is only a bit more than a 45, but it is definitely louder. I was shooting JHP defensive loads since that's all they had available at the range. I'm sure it would have been different with a hotter heavier load. Controls are nice, trigger is nice, the gun is smooth to operate and feels good. The only thing I didn't like about it were the grips. The base model comes with smooth wood grips that are a bit slippery. I was looking around to see if anyone makes rubber grips like I have on my CZ 2075, but I haven't located any yet.
If rubber grips are available for them, they are not offered by the manufacturer. There are several different styles available though:
http://www.coonaninc.com/product-category/parts-accessories/

adk_mechetech

Of all places there is a guy on ebay making custom G10 grips. I messaged him about making rubber ones or making me an aluminum mold so I can make my own. We'll see.

WalkingWolf

While I'm sure it would be fully functional, $5 grips on a ~$1500 pistol may look a bit off.

Well for me, and just for me, if a gun is not functional it is not worth 5 dollars. I have traction grips on both my wife's and my Glock 22, plus she has rubber grip pads on her SMC 380. The traction pads/grips are available on Amazon, they are black, and look good, plus can be removed. Skateboard tape, not good for CC, but very good for OC looks good on both the Glocks. My wife and I both have had positive comments on them. Mine are white, a couple people have asked how I got ivory grips for a Glock, LMAO, they do look good from a distance. The tape on hers is pink. If I can get the camera working I might try to post pictures later. But here is the link for the rubber texture grips.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...n grip tape&qid=1457721017&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

adk_mechetech

It's done. I walked out of the LGS today with my new Coonan.

I got the classic stainless model with adjustable white dot sights and 2 mags. Just shy of $1500 out the door. I don't have a hint of buyers remorse. I picked up 4 boxes of federal 158gr jsp from wally world on the way home. I have a long range day scheduled for next Saturday to break it and my 30 year old Remington 7600 in. (yes the 7600 needs breaking in since it only has 3 rounds through it.)