• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop Fired After Not Shooting Suicidal Man Sues City

since9

Campaign Veteran
When the correct acts of our civil, military, and law enforcement officers are constantly tried by those who have never taken the oath, our nation has already fallen.

Firearms Iinstuctor

A related true story.

About 25 plus years ago a local BG who was well know to law enforcement went on a little rampage.

His goal IMHO was to commit suicide by cop he did achieve that goal but only after killing one officer and making a paraplegic out of another one. Who later died 15 years or so from those complications so in reality he killed two LEO's that day.

He started out firing random shots around town to draw the local police department two him. The small one man police department and a couple county deputies and a state trooper found him and got him stopped as he walked down main street.

The stand off begins he is yelling for the LEO's to shoot him his weapon a .32 auto of some kind . The local officer and one of the deputies are very familiar an had many dealings with him. They had taken him in custody several times with out trouble.

After awhile 30 min or more of back and forth and the BG pointing his firearm several times towards the LEO's several times.

The two officers who knew him well decided they could get him to surrender and end this peacefully with out killing him.

So they left cover after stopping the others from Shooting the BG by telling them they could handle it.

As the two officers approached the BG one in front the other from behind all the time talking to him. As they got with in 10 feet or so and the BG seemed to surrender.

He quickly raises pistol, head shoots the officer in front of him that officer is dead right there, pivots and tries to head shoot the officer behind him but takes him in the neck. dropping him on the spot leaving him alive but a paraplegic.

The BG is then killed by many rounds from the other 3 officers.

We lost two fine officers that day because they were trying to do the RIGHT THING.

Sorry the right thing would have been to stop the BG as soon as he pointed his weapon at the officers the first time.

Should the officer in the OP been fired for not shooting the BG that well be up to the courts.

It worked out for that officer not to shoot the BG but he did not do the RIGHT THING and by not shooting the BG he endangered himself and his fellow officers.

I personally knew all the officers involved I was not one of them.

They all knew better and were trained better why the two that were shot didn't follow their training was because they were trying to do the RIGHT THNING.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Who defines what the right thing is...in the clear vision of hind-sight.

Armchair + quarterback...comes to mind.

It is hard to say without being there, the officer may have had a pattern of reckless behavior. He may not have been liked, not popular. It will be up to the courts to decide if the boss was justified in firing him.

I had a report of a man in a bar with a handgun threatening to get his girlfriend out of the nut ward of the hospital. Cars responded to the bar, I responded to the hospital, he had already left the bar. I had enough time to get to the nut ward before him, and was waiting for him. As he got off the elevator I ordered him back in, he refused, and reached behind his back. Now I had about six people behind him, and could not shoot. I hit him as hard as I could, dropping him to the floor. The employees started yelling at me for punching the man without(their perception) cause. All until I retrieved the handgun from his waist band then they shut up. I received a commendation for that day, but a different boss could have been PO'd because I didn't shoot him.

solus

probation = termination w/o justification!!

ipse

nope didn't even address your post, so didn't call you a liar here either.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Who didn't take the oath?

When you add up all naturalized citizens, everyone in the military, all law enforcement officers, and all civil officers (elected and appointed government officials at local, county, state, and federal levels), the total comes to approximately 43.9 million. Given the U.S. population of around 320 million, that leaves roughly 276.1 million people in the U.S. who didn't take the oath oath of office.

military 22,000,000
naturalized citizens 20,700,000
le officers 1,100,000
civil officers 100,000
Total Oath-takers 43,900,000
US population 320,000,000
Non-Oath-Takers 276,100,000

WalkingWolf

When you add up all naturalized citizens, everyone in the military, all law enforcement officers, and all civil officers (elected and appointed government officials at local, county, state, and federal levels), the total comes to approximately 43.9 million. Given the U.S. population of around 320 million, that leaves roughly 276.1 million people in the U.S. who didn't take the oath oath of office.

military 22,000,000
naturalized citizens 20,700,000
le officers 1,100,000
civil officers 100,000
Total Oath-takers 43,900,000
US population 320,000,000
Non-Oath-Takers 276,100,000

ALL citizens are bound by the constitution, whether they take the oath or not. Some people who have never served honor the constitution, some who have served have soiled it. As far as that officer in this thread, it is every citizens right, and duty to question the government. If our fore fathers had not we would still be subjects instead of citizens.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
ALL citizens are bound by the constitution, whether they take the oath or not. Some people who have never served honor the constitution, some who have served have soiled it. As far as that officer in this thread, it is every citizens right, and duty to question the government. If our fore fathers had not we would still be subjects instead of citizens.

(No hard feelings WW.)

Thank you. I question the government's assertion that I am bound by the constitution.

I am not the first to question it. In fact, a fellow who wrote the very words that changed subjects into citizens was the first to ask the question.

You know him by his words: "We hold these truths to be self-evident. That all men are created equal..." (Thomas Jefferson, Declaration of Independence, 1776.)

Yes, that Thomas Jefferson. That same Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to James Madison in 1789, asked...

The question Whether one generation of men has a right to bind another, seems never to have been started either on this or our side of the water. Yet it is a question of such consequences as not only to merit decision, but place also, among the fundamental principles of every government...

On similar ground it may be proved that no society can make a perpetual constitution, or even a perpetual law...

This principle that the earth belongs to the living, and not to the dead, is of very extensive application and consequences...

If such as Thomas Jefferson can question it, so can I.

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/v1ch2s23.html

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
ALL citizens are bound by the constitution, whether they take the oath or not.

My response was in answer to someone's question, specifically, "Who didn't take the oath?" I delineated who hadn't taken the oath. The question wasn't about who was bound by our Constitution. Just about who'd taken an oath to follow it.
There's a difference.

Some people who have never served honor the constitution, some who have served have soiled it. As far as that officer in this thread, it is every citizens right, and duty to question the government. If our fore fathers had not we would still be subjects instead of citizens.

Indeed!