• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Couple of questions from a Coloradan

mobiushky

I pretty much read up on the laws RE guns in AK, so I'm not real concerned about that. Besides I have a concealed carry permit that is recognized in AK anyway just in case.

Here's my deal. I'm likely coming up to AK in a month or so for work. Sounds like if it all goes smoothly I'll be rotating up there 2 weeks back home 4 weeks etc until maybe April-ish. I'll be going to Nikiski, but not sure where I'll be staying while I'm there. My questions are this: #1 where to buy ammo for target shooting while I'm there. I'll have a lot of down time in the area for evenings and weekends, so obviously I'll be looking to keep up my practice. Don't really want to bring a ton of ammo with me so I'd probably want to buy some while I'm there. I'll probably have time to go as far as Anchorage if needed, but closer is always better.

Second where is a good place to shoot? I prefer outdoors and I'm ok with driving into a forest area if needed. Can you just set up a target on the shore and shoot into the bays? How far away from towns do I need to be? Etc, etc. I found the range near Anchorage, and that's not too bad, but I'd like to find someplace closer to Nikiski, Kenai, Soldatna, etc.

Thanks.

armaborealis

Birchwood is great.

I like to drive business towards Steve at Alaska Tactical because he's an awesome guy but the prices on ammo there aren't necessarily the best unless you buy in bulk or catch a sale. Honestly it is boring but I had good luck with ammo prices at Sportsman's Warehouse most of the time. They would do case discounts as well which is nice. I would suggest bringing up whatever ammo you can. Mail order it to an address in the lower-48 then drive or fly up with the max allowed by Canada or the airlines. Ammo tends to be expensive in Alaska (although saving on sales tax balances it out).

Your CWP is basically irrelevant in Alaska... The feds don't honor it for purposes of the Gun Free School Zones Act and otherwise the state doesn't require it. I guess it is nice to have to show to a LEO to demonstrate that you've been through a background check.

Enjoy your stay!!! I hope you get some fishing in before the summer ends...

mobiushky

Thanks!

What about shooting areas? Can you just find an empty space? Is there a distance you need to stay from cities? What about shooting into the bay? Etc. I found out it won't be until mid to late Sept before the first trip. I don't expect to be able to shoot 1000 rounds, but I could probably go through 2-300 while I'm up there.

Thanks again.

armaborealis

Title 29. Municipal Government
Chapter 35. Municipal Powers and Duties
29.35.145. Regulation of Firearms.
(a) The authority to regulate firearms is reserved to the state, and, except as specifically provided by statute, a municipality may not enact or enforce an ordinance regulating the possession, ownership, sale, transfer, use, carrying, transportation, licensing, taxation, or registration of firearms.
(b) Municipalities may enact and enforce ordinances
(1) that are identical to state law and that have the same penalty as provided for by state law;
(2) restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that people, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized; ordinances enacted or enforced under this paragraph may not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by art. I, sec. 19, Constitution of the State of Alaska, to bear arms in defense of self or others;

So you'd have to check local ordnances for that.

Misconduct Involving Weapons:
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/akstatutes/11/11.61./02./11.61.210.

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree if the person
(2) discharges a firearm from, on, or across a highway;
(3) discharges a firearm with reckless disregard for a risk of damage to property or a risk of physical injury to a person under circumstances other than those described in AS 11.61.195(a)(3)(A);

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the second degree if the person knowingly
(3) discharges a firearm at or in the direction of
(A) a building with reckless disregard for a risk of physical injury to a person; or
(B) a dwelling.

Finally, you should check on any rules for the land you're on. A lot of the land on the Kenai is Chugach National Forest. I believe target shooting is prohibited in both the state and national forests (although hunting is permitted in accordance with Alaska regulations).

mobiushky

It's basically standard fair then. In CO, shooting on national forest land is OK even for target shooting. In fact there are several free to the public national forest shooting ranges that I use. Of course as a responsible firearm owner I always clean up everything I can. I'll do some more digging to see if anything pops up, but you've been really helpful. Thanks.