• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Custom made leather holsters

Bullbuster

imported post

I'm really thinking about having a custom made leather holster made for my S&W .40 and even one for my wifes Taurus .38 that works for both OC and CC.

Has anyone else thought about it as well? Something to complement your carry piece.

I have a buddy who does custom leather work for the hunter and gun lover. I have known him the better part of 10 years and seeing as in howI was looking to have one or two made by him I figured I'd pass on his info in case anyone may also be interested.

No I'm not pitching advertisements or morework for him (he does very well as is, and for big names in the hunting world) just have seen in the past a couple folks ask about having such work done. Its one of a kindI can tell you that. I did however ask for his OK before posting this. The second link is for another holster maker he deals with. If by chance anyone was to inquire with him and he asks where you got his infojust tell'm Bullbuster posted it on OCDO. He's known me by that name sense we first met.

http://www.levergunleather.com

http://www.simplyrugged.com/

32HR MAG

imported post

I have made a custom holster for my Single Six.That one is tooled.The one I am making for my 1911American Classic II, will be plain.

Lord_Kalen

imported post

holster039.jpg

Heres my first ,made it about5 years agoworking on a shoulder holster atm

Bullbuster

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
I got two slings from lever gun leather... he does some awesome work

http://www.levergunleather.com/images/andywslings2.jpg
(there's my pair)

My holster was made by thebeltman, sharkskin holster and belt from him... I like it.

No kidding I have seen them on his site. I have known Chance for a long time. He is a good guy. Even have a few pics of me on his misc. pics page.

Those are nice slings and buttstock covers.

Dreamer

imported post

I got my most recent sales flyer from Tandy Leather the other day, and it fits into this thread in a very timely manner. On the cover of the flyer is a kit for making a holster, and later in the flyer (page 8) there is a whole page of holsters and gun belts.

You can see the most recent sales flyer at their website:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/eflyer/910RT-USA/910RT-USA.aspx?feature=Image_Link_11

These are mostly "range holster" and not really applicable to CC. They would work for OC, but I think they all sort of lean to the "cowboy" look, which is OK, but might not be a look that everyone would like (or find appropriate), especially some of our more urban members. But I've had good experience with Tandy kits, and I imagine they make decent, somid holsters. The decoration, color, and tooling would only limited by your creativity and skills.

It's interesting how events in the universe line up sometimes...

In fact, I'm seriously considering getting a Walther P22, and will probably make a custom leather holster for it, because I HATE nylon holsters (like the one's from Uncle Mikes), and I refuse to buy anything made by Fobus, and the only Galco that I know of that fits the P22 is the FLETCH, and it's over $100, and that's a LOT for what is essentially going to be a "range holster"...

Squeak

imported post

MontgomeryXIII wrote:
Id like to make a holster for my Gp100...but im not sure where to start. :/ never worked with leather before. Does anyone know where i could get some info on it? Thanks much.
I've been working with leather since 1956 and I'd give you some pointers and the such, if you like. I've made saddles, holsters, chaps, purses, and more. I don't do the 'western' look anymore. Just no demand for it. PM me and we'll get going. The advice and tips are free, so don't be afraid that you'll have to mortgage the farm! I've been welding that long too, so I can help you in that field if you like.

32HR MAG

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
32HR MAG wrote:
I have made a custom holster for my Single Six.That one is tooled.The one I am making for my 1911American Classic II, will be plain.
Did you use your own piece for a pattern or buy a pattern kit when you made yours?
Sorry it has taken so long to get back on the subject.I start with a piece of heavy paper and use that to make the pattern.Transfer that to leather and cut out the pieces needed.I have used patterns found in leather crafting books or The leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal.If I use a printed pattern. I most always have to modify to make it more to my liking.

32HR MAG

imported post

MontgomeryXIII wrote:
Id like to make a holster for my Gp100...but im not sure where to start. :/ never worked with leather before. Does anyone know where i could get some info on it? Thanks much.
Lot's of info on the web.Just type in "Leather crafting". Also try the leather workers section at "cascity.net.