• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cville OC (Charlottesville)

hometheaterman

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
Looks like C'ville has quite a few OC friendly businesses. Why not add them to the http://friendorfoe.thesecond.us tool? I know, shameless plug.

It would be nice to see how much OC acceptability there actually is in C'ville though, as that's one of my "retirement destinations." Of course, that'll be another 20+ years...
I know some people like it or they wouldn't live there but Charlottesville would be one of the last places I'd consider for retirement.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
I know some people like it or they wouldn't live there but Charlottesville would be one of the last places I'd consider for retirement.
Why's that? I put it on my list based on the fantastic views that are found throughout the area. It's on the list, but not at the top...

Sheriff

imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
What's the story here? Doesn't really surprise me though.

To make a very long story short.... just an idiot who provided false information to another jurisdiction in hopes that the other jurisdictionwould falsely arrest me for a crime. Well, the rookie he was supplying the false information to fell for his deception and lies, and actually had a criminal warrant issued for me. It totally went over her head that the person supplying information to her had an ulterior motive for what he was doing. She made the mistake of trusting another cop without verifying the information he was telling her.

The false arrestwas tossed out of court before I had to utter one word of defense on my own behalf. The judge figured out what was going on, they couldn't fool him as easy as they thought they could.

There were six people people sued. I already have judgements against two, with interest until paid. And a local deputy sheriff recenty settled out of court. The jury trial to hear my $4 million dollar lawsuits against 2 Alexandria cops goes to court in July of 2009. And the sergeant I mentioned above.... the date ofthe jury trial to hear my lawsuit against him will be scheduled sometime soon. But it probably won't be heard until the last quarter of 2009 or in 2010.

hometheaterman

imported post

That sounds like a major headache. Hopefully you win though. Are the ones sued not from Alexandria from the Albemarle or Charlottesville area?

Sheriff

imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
That sounds like a major headache. Hopefully you win though.

A true comedy of errors. From start to finish.

hometheaterman wrote:
Are the ones sued not from Alexandria from the Albemarle or Charlottesville area?

One settled out of court. The remaining is Charlottesville Police Department.

I have outstanding judgements against an ex-cop in Pennsylvania. And a woman in Louisa County.

They all really thought they had crossed all their T's and dotted all their I's.

NinjaRider

imported post

Open carry in Charlottesville? Dang, I have been doing that for a couple of years. In fact, even though I have my CHP I rarely conceal. I have been to many restaurants and stores. I open carry in Lowe's, Sam's, Wal-mart, Rugged Wearhouse, Crutchfield's, bought a truck two years ago at Colonial, walked the downtown mall with a Blue and Gold Macaw on my shoulder, gone ice skating (I did conceal while on the ice). Open carried during marriage counseling. Been to allthe movie theaters more than once. Even open carried at Outback Steakhouse. Pet stores, gas stations, and I did carry at Woodbrook (Kenny Hale is pretty cool). In the UVA area, I OC'd at Baja Bean and the Mellow Mushroom, even on Friday nights. I've even open carried while getting a root canal.

I have never had a negative experience carrying. I've had a couple of people ask me, but they were just curious. I've walked right past cops on the mall and they have never said a word. Sometimes I get curious looks, but usually just ignore them.The only times that I am not armed is when I am prohibitedby law and/or the rules of the placewhere I work. Other than that, my .45 is on my hip.

Andrew

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
leprechaun117 wrote:
I carry in cville all the time...
Excluding cops in uniform, and cops in plain clothes who like to look cool with their badge and gun in plain view, how many people have you actually seen openly carrying in the Charlotttesville and Albemarle area? Let's use a time period of two years...

In the last two years I have only seen 1 person openly carrying. It was a guy in the former Revco, now known as Rite Aid, on Pantops Mountain. And this was probably over a year ago.
I have open carried in the Pantops area a number of times, mostly at the gas station in front of Giant. Also once at the Donut Connection, though a few people at the Mexican place next door looked slantwise.

Now that I have a basic retention holster for my "backup" which is really my "everywhere" gun, I may do it more often.

Of course I am usually with my kids, so I don't look especially threatening though I also definitely do not look like a cop lol.

I don't do it at Crozet pizza just because it is such close quarters in there and a lot of college students (well, a lot considering how few people can fit in there at once ) but that is why I have the safes.

NinjaRider

imported post

t11spanner wrote:
NinjaRider wrote:
gone ice skating (I did conceal while on the ice).

Where have you skated while carrying?

Carl
There is an ice rink on the north end of the downtown mall in Charlottesville. After getting dumped onto the ice by a particularly dense woman, it simply confirmed my childhood impressions of ice skating and haven't been back since. I've been in the common area a couple times OC'ing with no issues.

Sheriff

imported post

NinjaRider wrote:
I've walked right past cops on the mall and they have never said a word. Sometimes I get curious looks, but usually just ignore them.
Perhaps you're bigger than they were! :lol:

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

If I may [jokingly] jump in here: I don't even let my fiancee stop to urinate in the not so fair city of CXXXXXville. I know nothing good about that place. It does not surprise me that there are problems there with OC. The problems are not isolated to OC.

:lol:;):Detc. etc. so on and so forth. Consult the username if you're getting confused.

trio

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
If I may [jokingly] jump in here: I don't even let my fiancee stop to urinate in the not so fair city of CXXXXXville.   I know nothing good about that place.  It does not surprise me that there are problems there with OC.  The problems are not isolated to OC.

:lol:;):Detc. etc. so on and so forth.  Consult the username if you're getting confused.

sing it with me now!

If you can't go to college go to Tech! (clap clap) If you can't go to college go to Tech! (clap clap) If you can't go to college, if you can't go to college, if you can't go to college, Go to Tech! (clap clap!)

I keed, I keed.....

married to a Hoo, son of a Hokie...I know the rivalry all to well....I must say, as someone who attended neither school, Charlottesville is a much nicer city than Bleaks...I mean Blacksburg....

on a separate note, I used to live in Orange, and am still in Charlottesville regularly, having had multiple orthopedic surgeries at the med center, and have OC'd there many, many times....on the downtown mall, on pantops, on the corner, up 29, etc etc...never had any issues....

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

trio wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
If I may [jokingly] jump in here: I don't even let my fiancee stop to urinate in the not so fair city of CXXXXXville. I know nothing good about that place. It does not surprise me that there are problems there with OC. The problems are not isolated to OC.

:lol:;):Detc. etc. so on and so forth. Consult the username if you're getting confused.

sing it with me now!

If you can't go to college go to Tech! (clap clap) If you can't go to college go to Tech! (clap clap) If you can't go to college, if you can't go to college, if you can't go to college, Go to Tech! (clap clap!)

I keed, I keed.....

married to a Hoo, son of a Hokie...I know the rivalry all to well....I must say, as someone who attended neither school, Charlottesville is a much nicer city than Bleaks...I mean Blacksburg....

on a separate note, I used to live in Orange, and am still in Charlottesville regularly, having had multiple orthopedic surgeries at the med center, and have OC'd there many, many times....on the downtown mall, on pantops, on the corner, up 29, etc etc...never had any issues....
While part of your reply doesn't even warrant a response from a superior man like myself :)lol:) I will address the portion in bold: It is all in what you want. I like rural. I grew up 1/4 mile from the city road. Blacksburg fits the bill far better than that other "city".

Actually my mom made me go tour UVA way back when because she liked it better (don't know why) and you know what happened? I showed up in my jeans and boots and t-shirt and was given a tour by a student who was wearing penny loafers and Khakis. I don't remember much about the tour aside from turning to my mom as soon as he walked up and introduced himself as the tour guide/current student and saying "we can leave now."

My sister (4 years younger) thought she wanted to go 'there' (much to my chagrin) and applied and got accepted but is currently a freshman here at Tech for reasons I still can't fully explain. Smarter than I thought, I reckon.

trio

imported post

i will say this...having gone to grad school and law school with several hokies the thing I am most impressed with is the loyalty the alumnus show their school....

my Dad never hated UVA...when he went to Tech it was VPI, and his real hatred was VMI....when it came time for me to go to school he had no issue with me visiting UVA, but wouldn't even let me talk to the people from VMI....

i like rural too....I actually really liked Harrisonburg (got my Masters at JMU)...but as a "townie" in Charlottesville I really fell in love with the huge melting pot it was....from the University hippies to the "country folk" from Orange, Albermarle, Fluvanna, Louisa, etc...

I spent some time in the Roanoke VA med center, and the Roanoke/Salem area depressed the hell out of me...Blacksburg wasn't as bad, but its proximity to those areas ruins it for me :)

hometheaterman

imported post

NinjaRider wrote:
(Kenny Hale is pretty cool).
You have got to be kidding. The Woodbrook gun shop I can honestly say is probably the worst gun shop I've ever dealt with and he is a big part of the reason why. As he should be since he is the owner. When having a problem I've never run into another store owner that handles the situation like he does. I've posted this before but basically the short version is a Leupold scope I bought there messed up about 6 months late.. They said they would send it in and take care of it and it should be back in a week or two. I forgot what. Took about a month anyway. When it came back they said I owed $10 for shipping. I told them they never told me about this up front and it also took way way longer than they told me so I didn't think I should have to pay it. I asked to speak to Kenny as he was who I dropped it off with. They basically told me I had to pay it and that he would say the same thing. I told them fine I would but I wouldn't deal with them again. He called me a few minutes later. I told him exactly what I told them before that I didn't think I should have to pay it as it took way longer than they said not to mention they never told me that they were going to charge me shipping. I asked about them overnighting it and they said I would have to pay for it if they did that. So I had them just ship it how they wanted. He told me they do it as a service for the customers and proceeded to use several cuss words. He was very rude the whole time.

That's just basically a sum of what happened not the exact words.

I've heard lots of other complaints about this shop so it's not just me. Not to mention the few things I've checked on there in the past have been very expensive. Maybe not all of their stuff is like that.

He may or may not be OC friendly I don't know but I personally can say this is probably the worst gun shop I've ever dealt with.

The sad part is he would have more than likely made way way more than $10 off of me in the future.

BTW when I dealt with Leupold later they even sent me a shipping label so I'm wondering if the shop even had to pay $10. Leupold told me sometimes they give them shipping labels and sometimes not. Since mine had been repaired once already that's why I got it. The shop may have paid it I'm not sure but I still think if that was the case they should have covered it themselves.

leprechaun117

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Saturday at The Nook downtown. Sat outside. The staff was great. The onion rings and Keylime pie were the best I've ever had!

My good friend Thomas is a waiter there, I've never had a problem either.

We should set up a cville OC dinner, seeing as how there's onlylie 4 of us, it shouldn't be too hard.