• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dale City Shooting ruled justified

eyesopened

imported post

One of my coworkers told me about this case. He is an acquaintance of the shooter.

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WPN%2FMGArticle%2FWPN_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353738988&path=!news

The killing of a 30-year-old Dale City man on Nov. 24 has been ruled a justifiable shooting, the Prince William Commonwealth's Attorney said Tuesday.

During the investigation police determined that the victim of the fatal shooting, Rodney Cottoms, had gone with a friend to confront the shooter's brother about a previous dispute between Cottoms' friend and the brother, said Commonwealth's Attorney Paul B. Ebert.

Cottoms and his friend began to beat the shooter when he tried to intervene, according to Ebert.

At some point during the fight, the man being attacked, whose name was not released, fired a gun at Cottoms, Ebert said.

The shooting was determined to be justifiable, Ebert said, because the shooter had reason to "fear death or bodily harm."

Police were responding to a call of a shooting in progress around 2:31 a.m. Nov. 24 when they found Cottoms shot outside a single-family home in the 14300 block of Southgate Court in Dale City, according to Prince William police.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

"It's unfortunate they didn't call police earlier," Ebert said. "[It] could have prevented this loss of life."

Cottoms' family did not wish to comment