• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did I create a new mall ninja?

PWC_Glock

So I went to Dick's in Gainesville tonight looking for some Hornady Critical Defense rounds for my .45 ACP (I bought the last 20 round box).

The sales guy asked about my G-21 (is that a 9mm?) and asked if I could get extended mags (aka 33 rounds) for it. I told him no and then mentioned the 33rd magazine is for the 9mm not the .45. He then went on about shooting the 33rd mag.

We then talked about the 9mm and he mentioned that he has LEO family members that shoot .40.

Not really thinking I said maybe a Glock .40 would be a good fit because if I remember correctly the Glock .40 frame can also shot a 9mm and .357 sig with a barrel/mag change "But don't hold me to that because I am not sure" stressed multiple times.

Overall it was a great O/C experience but as I was driving home I realized I probably should have not been so quick to offer advice.

Thoughts?

ocholsteroc

Woudln't worry about it unless he looks like this
tacticality.jpg

Just because someone wants 33 rounders for their glock or other gun doesn't make them a mall ninja, or huge edc pack.

I got one of those 33 rounders for my glock, used it once. Big waste of ammo.
The term "mall ninja" is throw around losely imo.

Definition for mall ninja:

Web definitions:

A person who claims to be an expert on weaponry and likes to brag about their supposed expertise.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
The big mags can be fun and functional. Buddy of mine did the Glock 19 + Sub2000 carbine that takes the Glock mags as a home defense/survival option and bought the 33 rd mags primarily for the carbine, but at the end of a sub-par range day, blowing through 66 rounds as quickly as you can with only one reload can be kind of fun... :D

45acpForMe

My KRISS takes Glock21 mags and they came out with a 30-round magazine for it.

The LEA's can get the full auto version where a 30 round makes more sense but I have a few 30 round magazines for home defense.
If I have to reload after 30 rounds of 230grain .45acp Federal Hydrashok I figured having another one around was a good idea. :)

I have often toyed with the idea of picking up a Glock21 so I could use them more. :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
[video]<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/2567854?color=ffffff" width="400" height="267" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/2567854">Glock 18</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1054894">A Dewey</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>[/video]

Not if your using a carbine or one of these.
http://vimeo.com/user1054894/glock-18-slow-motion

Sure am glad I don't have to chase that brass!:eek:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
:D I see your point, unless a flash mob attacks my house in which case I may be using the AK 30 round magazine instead.

On the flip side, if you've used 30 rounds against your attacker(s), and haven't eliminated the threat, and are still alive to reload, they're not doing any better than you are :banana:

Roscoe

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
On the flip side, if you've used 30 rounds against your attacker(s), and haven't eliminated the threat, and are still alive to reload, they're not doing any better than you are :banana:

Roscoe

In that case Roscoe.....YOU NEED A BIGGER GUN!

Mayhem

Just maybe he cannot shoot so good and needs extra ammo?

I am feeling the need right now to OC my Glock with a ultra high capacity magazine!

stickslinger

So I went to Dick's in Gainesville tonight looking for some Hornady Critical Defense rounds for my .45 ACP (I bought the last 20 round box).

The sales guy asked about my G-21 (is that a 9mm?) and asked if I could get extended mags (aka 33 rounds) for it. I told him no and then mentioned the 33rd magazine is for the 9mm not the .45. He then went on about shooting the 33rd mag.

We then talked about the 9mm and he mentioned that he has LEO family members that shoot .40.

Not really thinking I said maybe a Glock .40 would be a good fit because if I remember correctly the Glock .40 frame can also shot a 9mm and .357 sig with a barrel/mag change "But don't hold me to that because I am not sure" stressed multiple times.

Overall it was a great O/C experience but as I was driving home I realized I probably should have not been so quick to offer advice.

Thoughts?

Just be assured your probably ok unless he spewed like this character: http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Just maybe he cannot shoot so good and needs extra ammo?

I am feeling the need right now to OC my Glock with a ultra high capacity magazine!

I'm hurt! :)

Some people say that most encounters only take 2-5 shots. I believe that this number is under normal Rule of Law conditions where the bad guy, seeks a softer target and runs away most of the time. Now change scenarios to mob rule, when people haven't eaten in a week and see whether they are going to run away or fight to get what you have. Under these circumstances you may need to defend your home from several determined attackers (who make good fertilizer by the way for your victory garden).

Given that people miss 50-80% of the time under stress, the more ammo I have the happier I am. If I have 28 rounds left in my magazine when it is over so what!