• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Difference between a purchase application and a CHP application

PWC_Glock

So I just purchased (was delayed 2 days (have been delayed for every purchase over the last 12 years)) a new AR-15 from VA Arms last week.

I have been thinking about applying for a CHP just to make open carry in a car a bit easier.

Aside from the 5 year address rule/age what is different between purchasing a new firearm or applying for a CHP when a background check is concerned?

I am not worried about a background check (heck just like most people in NOVA that is cleared I could fill the application out from my federal government issued laptop if necessary. My DNA/fingerprints are already on file with the DOD and DHS.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have been thinking about applying for a CHP just to make open carry in a car a bit easier.

I sure hope that you have a thick skin with that statement! The wolves will be along shortly!

He said he worked for the Government. I'm sure that stupid statement makes perfect sense to him:banghead:

heck just like most people in NOVA that is cleared I could fill the application out from my federal government issued laptop if necessary.

My DNA/fingerprints are already on file with the DOD and DHS.

I just love how you squareheads like to brag about the most trivial things!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
So I just purchased (was delayed 2 days (have been delayed for every purchase over the last 12 years)) a new AR-15 from VA Arms last week.

Aside from the 5 year address rule/age what is different between purchasing a new firearm or applying for a CHP when a background check is concerned?

I am not worried about a background check (heck just like most people in NOVA that is cleared I could fill the application out from my federal government issued laptop if necessary. My DNA/fingerprints are already on file with the DOD and DHS.

Why so long? I bought a new AR at Virginia Arms 18 days ago and the instant check wait was around seven minutes.

PWC_Glock

I sure hope that you have a thick skin with that statement! The wolves will be along shortly!

LOL You certainly called that one. I should clarify I am land-locked by schools in my area (except for one route) so any trips require me going thru a gun free zone. My CHP would be used for the travel thru a gun free zone.

PWC_Glock

Why so long? I bought a new AR at Virginia Arms 18 days ago and the instant check wait was around seven minutes.

I wish I knew. I bought my first firearm from VA Arms 12 years ago and was delayed then also. Every purchase from VA Arms has resulted in at least an 1 hour delay (pistol and shotgun) With the AR it was a couple of days. I have a fairly common name so best I can figure my name is causing the delay. Which is why I mentioned having a background check/fingerprints on file with DHS/DOD. I assume both agencies would perform a more complete background check.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Now that we're past the CHP issue.....I'm still looking into all the inner workings of the instant background check and far from finished, but from what I've gathered so far, who the dealer is has no bearing on the delay at all.
Every request goes into the Q in the order they were received.

Once the SP enter the request, it's instant if there is no investigation involved... but if there is a conflict such as a name where there are prohibited persons and non-prohibited persons, it grinds to a painfully slow pace. SP puts it in a pile and NICS puts it in another pile. These piles are on a "when I get time to work on it" basis.

Here is when we run into a problem with the NICS direct system.

NICS investigations can take up to 145 days to complete the investigation, however the State Police Policy is to complete the Investigation within 7 days. This is to avoid the dealer releasing the gun to a potentially prohibited person under the 7 day rule.

If you've been delayed once, you will probably be delayed every time from that point on. The length of the delay can be minutes to 7 days depending on the workload in the SP office.

Security Clearance doesn't play any part of the delays or lack thereof according to what I've found although it should IMO. DHS cleared people should be treated with a great deal of suspicion...but they aren't. TSA people should not be allowed to own guns...but they are.

Possession of a CHP plays no part in the speed of approval unless purchasing more than one handgun a month.

This information is based on conversations with members of the Virginia State Police, Virginia and West Virginia FFL holders and several FOIA's.

Last edited: