• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do i have to use a belt holster?

Marc

imported post

I'm new to OC as i just found out it is legal here. But i cant figure out what legal OC is. Do i need to have it in a holster on my hip, or can i use a shoulder holster, drop leg holster, or just stick it between my belt and my pants? can anybody clarify this?

Big Boy

imported post

As long as it is in a holster and completely visible you're good.

Check out the blackhawk serpa holsters. It's a paddle holster so you don't have to put it on your belt and deal with that hassle, but it will still be in the same spot, on your hip.

Article1section23

imported post

Marc wrote:
I'm new to OC as i just found out it is legal here. But i cant figure out what legal OC is. Do i need to have it in a holster on my hip, or can i use a shoulder holster, drop leg holster, or just stick it between my belt and my pants? can anybody clarify this?

All of these are ok.I would advise against carry in bold, unless you are by yourself, hunting, shooting, what ever. That way, when you shoot yourself in the foot, nobody else gets hurt :D.

+1 on the serpa.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Blackhawk serpa (Carbon) for all my side arms love them, Im thinking of getting a shoulder rig this summer, should make yard work easier, what are you going to be carrying ????

Marc

imported post

im going to be carrying my S&W .40 cal. 4 1/2" barrel 15 rd mag plus 1 in the chamber i just cant seem to find out how legal it is to carry with different holsters or w/o a holster

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

well there is alot of gray area, if you carry with out a holster that may be considered brandishing is a the cop feels like it, and it would be stupid and irresponsible, I would have to walk up to you take it and beat you with it LOL,

OC is OC, but you need to make sure you can control your weapon and if you carry it lose or unsecure you are looking at huge problems from LEOs, if your holster sticks out like a sore thumb they may try to get you on disturbing the peace or some crap like that, if your dressed like a thug they may just beat you and though you behind a liquor store, or just hassle you. LOL

Hip holster will draw less attention, drops are just asking for the leo to screw with you and I am still wandering how they will react to shoulder, but legal is legal

Marc

imported post

So basically what ur saying is that in this town where OC is uncommon i should just buy a belt holster before i try carrying then. I've noticed there have been mixed comments on IWB holsters so i just need a regular one like the LEOs wear?

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yea a simple waist holster, it should be a good holster $40+ the cheap $20 bulldogs and cheap uncle mikes are not good for OC, When I OCed my SW 411 .40 I used a Fobus modified with a retention screw I added. Then make sure you are trained with it. dont carry if you dont have proper training.

Others will have mixed feels about what I say but hey its just my 2 cents nothing more LOL

Marc

imported post

Well I thank you much for ur insight. I dont care about the cops hassling me though i already spoke to a sergeant who said it would most likely happen if i didnt get a CCW but i can educate the local police i dont care. So does anyone else actually know if its legal to use a drop leg holster (which is a much more tactical draw than from the hip) cuz i can't afford to get a CCW right now so i just need advice on the legality of the way i wish to carry my gun. Thanks

gunman

imported post

a leg holster is legal,but like the op said you will be a hasseled alot by leo,so i would go with a hip holster,i have a friend who owns a gun shop,he has some pretty nice holsters really cheap. hip/shoulder/dropleg/tacticalvest/iwb.what ever your looking for

Big Boy

imported post

Like we've all said. YES. Pretty much all holsters are going to be legal unless it CONCEALS the gun. I would suggest against IWB holsters because it hides everything of the gun except the grip. You could probably get nailed by an LEO for that.

Do not carry without a holster, and any holster that does not conceal will work.

i.e. belt, paddle, drop leg, shoulder

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Although an OC shoulder harness pointing backwards would make the cop about
to jump and frisk you think twice while staring down the barrel. :cool:

Alas it is the same old saying, a $10 holster for a $10 life.
If cost is a problem, then do without lunch for a couple weeks.
Then a smaller belt will fit as well.
Remember the holster also guards the trigger so it can't get pulled,
not just to hold the gun. So stay away from Plaxico carry, too many valuables
I don't want shot off, and you would be pushing the concealed envelope.
A good looking girls dress gets caught in garage door and flashes you her
hair color or lack there of, and BANG the trigger gets depressed. No thanks!
Besides what do you do with it in the can. One hand using signals to discourage
your congressman, and the other full of paper. Teeth and spit not great for
finish, and leaves dna evidence.

Rights have responsibilities, sadly exercising any right isn't free.
Best of luck, and practice with whatever you get.

Marc

imported post

yo man my brother drove around country club village for 2 hours and could not find that address on glendale. when i googled it it pointed dead center to the middle of the intersectin of glendale and hansen but the addresses on glendale at that spot were in the 1800 block. got any directions? anything to look for?

gunman

imported post

drive north on st.joseph ave. to where it splits to k hwy and 59 take 59 north you will pass county line road then take your first left that is glendale ave.1118 glendale you will see an open and closed sign in the front window of his house just pull in the drive way and go around back.phone#(262-7799)call if in more problems he will help you out.

goalseter88

imported post

while we are talking about holsters. i always wondered aboutt he shoulder holster, i mean could you consider it concealed since if you have your arm down its is mostly concealed. heck if its a mouse gun( not that i recomend those guns, just an example) it prob be completely covered by your arm. while i have me CCW i just wondered if anyone knew if someone without CCW could get busted for shoulder holster? is there a statement saying how much of the gun has to be showing?