• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you carry either concealed or open carry with one in the chamber?

Alejo6217

I just wanted your input on whether you carry your gun with one in the chamber. Or do you just have the magazine ready but none in the chamber?

Update: Any experiences of when you had an accidental discharge because you were carrying one in the chamber?

Last edited:

Primus

Everything I carry in every method his a super killy bullet chambered at all times. CC, OC, range, doesn't matter.

Guns don't go bang without a round being chambered.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

B

Bikenut

Please consider that during a for real save your... or your child/wife/husband ... life situation there may not be time to rack a round into the chamber. Also, even if there is time to rack a round into the chamber, you might not have a free hand available to do the racking because that free hand is pushing a child/wife/husband out of the line of fire or you are using that hand to push the bad guy away or the bad guy already cut that hand with a knife and it is all slippery with blood and/or the tendons are cut and the hand is useless.

Without a round in the chamber the gun is nothing more than a very expensive club.

Which would you rather have when trying to protect yourself and/or your loved ones? An expensive club or a gun that is ready to shoot?

twoskinsonemanns

If I'm absolutely certain that I need only a paper weight to defend myself and family (never been sure yet) I may consider carrying it unloaded. But until then there will be a round in the chamber.

Primus

Please consider that during a for real save your... or your child/wife/husband ... life situation there may not be time to rack a round into the chamber. Also, even if there is time to rack a round into the chamber, you might not have a free hand available to do the racking because that free hand is pushing a child/wife/husband out of the line of fire or you are using that hand to push the bad guy away or the bad guy already cut that hand with a knife and it is all slippery with blood and/or the tendons are cut and the hand is useless.

Without a round in the chamber the gun is nothing more than a very expensive club.

Which would you rather have when trying to protect yourself and/or your loved ones? An expensive club or a gun that is ready to shoot?

Unless it's a highpoint.... Then its a very inexpensive club. Regardless if its loaded or not....

Bam..

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
We hash this out every couple of months.

When you need your sidearm, you NEED it. They are designed to be carried with one in the chamber. Use an appropriate holster.

Most self-defense that requires a firearm will need it IMMEDIATELY. Chambering a round is best (by far) done with two hands. Will you always have that second hand even available, much less unencumbered? Your other hand may be best needed to fend off a close range physical attack, or trying to herd children out of the way or some other important need in getting to cover.

Chambering a firearm, ESPECIALLY when under stress, is the most likely time to induce a malfunction or do something unsafe with it.

rightwinglibertarian

Unless it's a highpoint.... Then its a very inexpensive club. Regardless if its loaded or not....

Bam..

i'm beginning to think they don't deserve the bad reputation they seem to have. I've had far more positive feedback from people than negative of late and it will likely be all I can afford when I get my first unless I find a super good deal.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
It's a very common question from those new to guns or at least to carrying them.

The vast majority of carriers either became comfortable with carrying loaded or never fathomed a reason not to.

FreeInAZ

i'm beginning to think they don't deserve the bad reputation they seem to have. I've had far more positive feedback from people than negative of late and it will likely be all I can afford when I get my first unless I find a super good deal.

FYI - the 45 & 40 cal pistols get better reviews. I own several Hi-Points, including carbines. In my experience they run well and shoot very accurately do to a fixed barrel design.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handguns/handgun_reviews_hipoint_100605/

Great carry gun...bulk = no. Hell of a lot better than not carrying = absolutely.

For someone on a super tight budget this may be a option.

Last edited:

wittmeba

At this time I only Conceal Carry and do NOT have one in the pipe. I plan to shift my carry to Open Carry in the immediate future but will still not carry one in the pipe.

We have good reason as well as others do to want to be sure to protect ourselves. We (mama and I) do Dealer Exchanges (run vehicles for dealers when the car sold is at another dealer). We may be riding together or in different vehicles depending on the transaction. Often we have quite large checks (never cash other than personal cash) and often cross state lines, stopping at filling stations, fast food and out-of-state plates.

So far, other than Maryland all the other states are gun friendly and reciprocity works for us.

Last edited:

lax

You'll gain confidence in your gun, holster, and skills with some classes. The gun will be going in and out of your holster so many times with one in the chamber you'll realize that it is not an issue.

FreeInAZ

As others have said, this gets brought up every few months. The thing to remember is ...time is never your friend & neither is distance in a pistol fight. Many attacks take place at very close distances, as the bad guys are learning to close as much space as possible before attacking. When split seconds count...you want every bit of time possible, carrying in unchambered adds time when that's the thing you don't want. Unloaded carry is better than nothing, but still not the optimal option.

Last edited:

Javelina

Ready to go at all times!

I always OC my Glock 23 with one in the chamber and a full 15-round magazine, on top of that I will also have a 10-round (will soon get another 15) magazine on my weak side. As stated you may not have time to chamber a round and to me if I am pulling my firearm because I am in fear for my life or the lives around me including family, innocent people and etc. , I want to be able to get rounds off ASAP. An old man once told me that the quickest police response time is 90 seconds, THAT'S A MINUTE AND A HALF!!! I promise I can let off all rounds I have on my person in a third of that time. Every second counts in a gun-fight and nobody ever goes back and says "Wish I wouldn't have eliminated the threat so quick".

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
At this time I only Conceal Carry and do NOT have one in the pipe. I plan to shift my carry to Open Carry in the immediate future but will still not carry one in the pipe.

We have good reason as well as others do to want to be sure to protect ourselves. We (mama and I) do Dealer Exchanges (run vehicles for dealers when the car sold is at another dealer). We may be riding together or in different vehicles depending on the transaction. Often we have quite large checks (never cash other than personal cash) and often cross state lines, stopping at filling stations, fast food and out-of-state plates.

So far, other than Maryland all the other states are gun friendly and reciprocity works for us.

Why?

Alejo6217

Any experiences with an accidental discharge when carrying with one in the chamber?

It is rare, but has anyone had an accidental discharge because you had one in the chamber? Share your experiences.

FreeInAZ

It is rare, but has anyone had an accidental discharge because you had one in the chamber? Share your experiences.

Most ND's happen during load/unload or holster/unholster scenarios this is another con on carrying unloaded. For some it may be the only way they are comfortable carrying. I won't knock them for knowing their fears & comfort levels. It does remind me of people who are afraid of air travel yet drive a car daily without a second thought, which is far, far, more dangerous if you read statistics.

The best safety one can use is that one between your ears! This said, practice safety handling procedures until it becomes automatic. ;) However, never let your guard down when it comes to becoming too "routine" in gun handling. That's why LE has more NDs than the general public. ;)

Last edited: