• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you need a retention holster to open carry safely?

Phoenix David

Do you need a retention holster to open carry? No, but do you want one? Depends on you skill, training and SA, think of it this way, if you were carrying around a large sum in cash would you make an extra effort to secure to on your person? Or would youi just wad it up and stick it in your pocket and hope it doesn't fall out when you pull you keys out?

WalkingWolf

Do you need a retention holster to open carry? No, but do you want one? Depends on you skill, training and SA, think of it this way, if you were carrying around a large sum in cash would you make an extra effort to secure to on your person? Or would youi just wad it up and stick it in your pocket and hope it doesn't fall out when you pull you keys out?

Do you pull your keys out of your holster, wad your gun up? IMO you can carry your cash anyway you want, and there is not a damn thing I can do about it, or want to. It is your cash.

FTG-05

Oh great! Are you now saying I have to use a retention envelope to carry my cash???!!!!

What level retention envelopes are available - Level I, II or III? Where can I get them? How much do they cost? I've never seen one before, I have no idea what they look like!

The heck with it, I'm sticking with my non-retention/non-tacticool regular old banking envelope. The OC (Open Cash) Fudds can stick it!!!!!!

WalkingWolf

Oh great! Are you now saying I have to use a retention envelope to carry my cash???!!!!

What level retention envelopes are available - Level I, II or III? Where can I get them? How much do they cost? I've never seen one before, I have no idea what they look like!

The heck with it, I'm sticking with my non-retention/non-tacticool regular old banking envelope. The OC (Open Cash) Fudds can stick it!!!!!!

+1 and that was funny.:banana:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Fobus?
Just to add...paddle holsters are no go. A 15yo kid could rip it right off that metal pin if he wanted to..
You assume that because I wear a fobus, I have less SA than someone with a more "adequate" holster. I would not recommend an attempt to disarm me.

I'm glad you have found something else so that you will not be forced, by lack of alternatives, to wear a Fobus paddle holster.

Each of us wears/uses what works for them.

sudden valley gunner

You assume that because I wear a fobus, I have less SA than someone with a more "adequate" holster. I would not recommend an attempt to disarm me.

Each of us wears/uses what works for them.

+1 Same thing as those who worry too much about caliber size. No one volunteers to be the test subject.

His argument also relied on the premise a 15 year old could grab it. Oh no lets start worrying about all the possible things a 15 year old could do.;)

solus

ftg, et al., your kind attention is directed to:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpzfhbqEKXY
2. http://www.personalizationmall.com/...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CPP7jdCj0MQCFcxj7AodiEwASA
3. note the use of the word holster in second sentence...http://shop.coolmaterial.com/produc...nt=743045585&gclid=CMGw1u6j0MQCFTBo7AodezcA9w

i, like referenced in the utube presentation, carry my cash in my front pocket and truth be told actually have two bundle of bills there...one flashy with a twenty on top and maybe five ones secured by paperclip on it and another with my vast fortune folded neatly in half w/o paperclip. in the event my SA fails :eek: and i get confronted by a BG for my wallet, etc., i can slowly reach in my pocket and throw the paperclipped bundle on the ground at their feet slightly to the L or R and slowly back away from the situation until a point of safety is reached with documents and vast fortune intact. if the BG wishes to pursue, i can engage my self defence tactics from a tactical position against further intrusion.

bottom line, yes retention is needed on wallets containing your documents and possibly your hard earned $$$$. it is a pain in the arse to get replacements of you documents in your wallet and your hard earned cash is never replaced...

ipse

FTG-05

Wow, talk about missing the point.

Point: pssshhhhhew!, over his head.

Solus: "NOTHING goes over my head!... My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it."

Last edited:

Silvertongue

I think we should make a special effort not to knock people who open carry in retention holsters, especially if they're new to open carry and don't quite feel comfortable with a Level 1 holster.

NOTE: I'm not saying anybody in this or any thread has done that, it's just a point I found worth mentioning.

Also, my holster is technically a Level 1. I think of it as a Level 7.

1) Friction Fit
2) Forward cant (the only way to remove the gun is TOWARDS my most efficient work area)
3) Elbow Check
4) Gun 2
5) Knife 1
6) Knife 2
7) Elbows/fists

Plus, it comes in a snazzy faux-carbon-fiber look.

stealthyeliminator

I think we should make a special effort not to knock people who open carry in retention holsters, especially if they're new to open carry and don't quite feel comfortable with a Level 1 holster.

NOTE: I'm not saying anybody in this or any thread has done that, it's just a point I found worth mentioning.

Also, my holster is technically a Level 1. I think of it as a Level 7.

1) Friction Fit
2) Forward cant (the only way to remove the gun is TOWARDS my most efficient work area)
3) Elbow Check
4) Gun 2
5) Knife 1
6) Knife 2
7) Elbows/fists

Plus, it comes in a snazzy faux-carbon-fiber look.

When a Texas legislator tried to amend one of the open carry bills to require two active and one passive retention device, I thought to myself, passive retention #1 = friction, active retention #1 = left fist, active retention #2 = right fist. lol.

Reic

I use a Custom Kydex Holster when I carry. Light/medium Jogging, throwing a football at a park, getting in out of cars all day. I've never had a problem. I pay very close attention to my surroundings though and cant myself away from individuals that I don't know who for some reason have invaded my bubble. I think sometimes are crap holsters that just shouldn't be used for any purpose but that mostly people just don't remember to act accordingly to their carry style's limitations on what would usually just be considered normal movement.

Fankly, if it impedes your normal movement so much, change the way you carry.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I think I do prefer a bit of positive retention for OC. I guess my thought is that some retention may protect my sorry butt in case of a la-la-la moment of lacking situational awareness giving me a brief reality check and time to overcome the situation. When I OC around any sort of crowd in non-retention holsters I find myself spending a lot more time thinking about the pistol, its position, etc. than I do with retention holsters. I don't mean just SA, but almost distracted by it. If I'm not around any significant crowds, 95% of my days, it doesn't matter either way.

So, long and short, if I'm OC and know I'm going to be around crowds, Christmas shopping, festival, labor day weekend White Sale my wife drags me to, I'm choosing a retention holster that day. To just go to work and stop at the store on the way home, it doesn't matter to me.