• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dont have a 1911 yet, but found the one I want..

Butch00

Some of the best 1911's I've had were the cheap ones. (under $450)
They may rattle but shoot very good.

WalkingWolf

Some of the best 1911's I've had were the cheap ones. (under $450)
They may rattle but shoot very good.

I agree with this very much, nothing like paying $300 or less for a fine piece of machinery. Those that scoff I must say thank you very much for keeping the price down for the rest of us.

MiaStar

I know alot of people do not like Taurus firearms but they make a very nice 1911, depending on model between $600 and $800. I have owned one and am waiting on them to come out with their newest version a compact 1911 in 9mm. Ruger is about to release or has recently released their own version of the 1911, not sure the price of the Ruger. I will say Wilson Combat is a top of the line 1911 manufacturer, I could never afford one though.

OP, Wilson Combat is a great choice. I too LOVE Kimbers, but can't afford the one I want at this point (avatar). Alas, I settle for the cheaper brands, but I have not been disappointed! I swear I would straight break down crying if I plopped down over $900 on a pistol and had an extractor break after 100 rounds or any other "problem!" Money is hard to come by these days!!

@ xdmcompact:

I could never afford one either, at least not in the next few years, unless a windfall happened (saving for a home and property, so a $700-$2k gun aint happenin; simply by principal, my property is more important than how much I pay or how "elite" a brand is supposed to be). Every gun maker has had issues at some point and will continue to have them...there is no such thing as an absolutely perfect human. Didn't know Taurus was coming out with a new 1911 in compact 9mm...here we go...might have to go ahead and set aside some ends for that one.

I have a Taurus PT 1911-AR that I just purchased on Aug. 15, 2011. It is a beauty. Its the polished SS/gold accent version in .45, and cost $499 (not incl. shipping which was $20 to my FFL) Got it from GunBroker after searching all over for that particular finish. Very solid and beautiful craftsmanship. No sharp edges, the finish and frame are as smooth as butter, seriously.

Tight slide to frame fit (not a jingle, rattle, or jangle at all). Heavy and weighs 42.5 oz which I like (makes it feel more quality made). The rubber grips are ok and fit me fine, but I might change them out for Cocobolo or Black Walnut purely for aesthetics.

Haven't shot her yet but hope to get to the range in about a week. I have another Taurus, a .380 and it is perfectly reliable. I would not hesitate to buy another Taurus 1911 in 9mm or .38 Super. I saw VERY FEW gripes about the 1911 by Taurus.

OP:

Watch some YT vids and peruse the forums to see what common probs a model has before you dive in, whatever brand it may be. But each person handles their guns differently, and some people are just irresponsible and then blame the brand for problems.

Not everyone can afford a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom, or Les Baer. I know they are highly reliable and flawlessly function, but damn that is a lotta dough. More power to those who can afford them, but for $2-3K I could have a good 4-6 nice pistols, in great brands, like even more moderately priced Sigs, Springfields, Berettas, etc.

I would definitely buy a WC, NC or LB if I could afford one, or better yet have one custom made for me (my dream).

Last edited:

MiaStar

I agree with this very much, nothing like paying $300 or less for a fine piece of machinery. Those that scoff I must say thank you very much for keeping the price down for the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

@Walking Wolf:

My sentiments EXACTLY. Call me a frugalista--I wear the badge proudly. Amen brother...thanks to the gun snobs for leaving the Tauruses (i love due to price, safety features, service), EAAs, Metro Arms, RIA's, ATI's, Hellcats, Hi-Points, etc. alone for the rest of us to save money on! :banana:

Last edited:

MiaStar

That is why I suggested the Argentine military surplus, a person cannot go wrong with one of these colts and they are colts, not clones. Even the the Ballester Molina model is a superb weapon. These are tried and true weapons that have been in service and function with ball ammo superbly. With probably no more than a $100 they can be turned into superstar weapons for under $400.
As a civilian we always have to keep in mind that if we should ever have to use our sidearm we may lose that sidearm until the shooting is cleared. I would cringe at the thought of a $1200 firearm sitting uncleaned in a police storage locker.
Not to mention that firearms are marked for chain of evidence just in case of charges. This mark is usually a scratched mark in a unseen location on the weapon.

If the OP has the dough for the latest 1911 by all means go for it. But nobody has ever lost money on one of these surplus colts that I know of. I always got double for mine, that is the only reason I sold them.

I agree. Where can I find Colts and handguns from the Argentine military surplus, or from ANY military surplus for that matter? Is this only exclusive to active duty, Vets, or LEO? Or can civilians buy? Very interested. Confiscation of a firearm used in a shooting is why people need to have more than 1 gun...I choose to have more than a couple because I like to collect. You can never have enough guns, IMO. They all serve different purposes!

WalkingWolf

I agree. Where can I find Colts and handguns from the Argentine military surplus, or from ANY military surplus for that matter? Is this only exclusive to active duty, Vets, or LEO? Or can civilians buy? Very interested. Confiscation of a firearm used in a shooting is why people need to have more than 1 gun...I choose to have more than a couple because I like to collect. You can never have enough guns, IMO. They all serve different purposes!

You can get one from this site http://www.cruffler.com/JLD.html, you will have to contact a FFL holder to do the transfer for a fee. I usually paid between $25 to $50 for a handling fee. You pay and they send the firearm to the FFL after they send a copy of their FFL. When the FFL receives your firearm you just have to file the proper paperwork and the gun is then yours once it all clears.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You can get one from this site http://www.cruffler.com/JLD.html, you will have to contact a FFL holder to do the transfer for a fee. I usually paid between $25 to $50 for a handling fee. You pay and they send the firearm to the FFL after they send a copy of their FFL. When the FFL receives your firearm you just have to file the proper paperwork and the gun is then yours once it all clears.

Or you can pay $30, get your C&R and have it shipped to your door.

MiaStar

@Walking Wolf and thebigsd:

Thanks gents for the information. I have searched for a lot of military surplus sites and have come up pretty empty-handed. Yes, it would behoove me to get and wait on the C&R, because I do plan to make several purchases over the next few years (a novice collector just getting into the game).

These regular FFL fees can be a pain, esp. if you have already paid $30 to ship.

Found a dealer who only charges $15 but he is like 2+ hrs away below the border in SC, so it doesn't benefit me to drive just to save $20 from what local dealers in the city and county charge.

Also, I would be paying 6% sales tax in his shop in SC if I bought directly from him vs. a 30 day pistol purchase permit (PPP) wait for EACH pistol purchased (this is a subtle way the Dems have enforced a "1 pistol per month" ruling, and people don't realize it), shipping, FFL fee, and 7.25% sales tax locally in NC.

I only do the SC dealer when I'm on my way down I-95 South and can easily stop by there--he's like 2 mi off the interestate which makes it so convenient for me to spend on more guns :eek:.

I also use him to get my guns shipped from online buys because
I hate the PPP in NC. I will be asking the SC dealer to order guns for me that he doesn't usually stock (ones I only find online or local), and then pick them up when I'm in his area, which is usually twice a month.

My CCW/CCH will eliminate the need for a PPP for each purchase here but that is a 90-day process (haven't even applied yet) and I need to make a trade for another pistol like immediately. To SC I go.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

MStar there is a FFL just out of Fort Brag that will do your transfer for $25 if he is still alive. I think the shop is called Fayetteville arms room but he is in a shooting shop to the rear of the pawn shop. His name is Buck. I checked around Sanford and the dealers around here charge $50. I probably should get a C&R myself but I only have a few surplus guns so I just didn't bother. Besides me and Buck were good friends and I did not mind giving him some business. I really should check on him to see if he is still around.

Wetworx

You are complaining about a gun that is functioning as designed - no failure to feed, no jambs, no malfunction at all. Oh you have to use a bushing wrench...sorry 'bout that, but that is a personal preference not a fault/failure.

Had mine about 5 years - it has never gagged - still requires a bushing wrench. Sweet shooting gun. Functions like it was on precision ball bearings.

If it is so tight that you can't cycle the slide by hand, it's a problem.

WalkingWolf

If it is so tight that you can't cycle the slide by hand, it's a problem.

Depending on where the gun is too tight it is a simple fix. This would most likely be a frame to slide fit problem, caused by either dirty gun, or rails too tight. This problem can be solved in just a few minutes.

wrightme

@Walking Wolf and thebigsd:

Thanks gents for the information. I have searched for a lot of military surplus sites and have come up pretty empty-handed. Yes, it would behoove me to get and wait on the C&R, because I do plan to make several purchases over the next few years (a novice collector just getting into the game).

These regular FFL fees can be a pain, esp. if you have already paid $30 to ship.

Found a dealer who only charges $15 but he is like 2+ hrs away below the border in SC, so it doesn't benefit me to drive just to save $20 from what local dealers in the city and county charge.

Also, I would be paying 6% sales tax in his shop in SC if I bought directly from him vs. a 30 day pistol purchase permit (PPP) wait for EACH pistol purchased (this is a subtle way the Dems have enforced a "1 pistol per month" ruling, and people don't realize it), shipping, FFL fee, and 7.25% sales tax locally in NC.

I only do the SC dealer when I'm on my way down I-95 South and can easily stop by there--he's like 2 mi off the interestate which makes it so convenient for me to spend on more guns :eek:.

I also use him to get my guns shipped from online buys because
I hate the PPP in NC. I will be asking the SC dealer to order guns for me that he doesn't usually stock (ones I only find online or local), and then pick them up when I'm in his area, which is usually twice a month.

My CCW/CCH will eliminate the need for a PPP for each purchase here but that is a 90-day process (haven't even applied yet) and I need to make a trade for another pistol like immediately. To SC I go.
Is it even legal to buy from an SC dealer if you are a NC resident?

tim12232

My vote is to save some money...alot of it, and go with a Dan Wesson Valor!!! Is it a Wilson....no, but unless you are some new super being that just came to our planet, most likely the gun will outshoot you "not using a bench". I think the new Valors are so well built with such attention to detail, they are still a good value. Will it be tight everywhere like a wilson? again no, but for a gun you can carry and use, its awesome!

BTW I carry a Dan Wesson Cbob 2011 CA only model! I have over a 1k rounds through it, hasnt failed once!!! not one FTF or FTE!!! just flawless and accurate!

Tim