• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Double barreled AR-15 ?!?

Lord Sega

Silver Shadow has a double barreled AR-15, two barrels that are fired simultaneously, essentially double tapping on a single trigger pull.

LINK

First, yes/cool/want OR no/horrible/no way ??? Comments?

Second, I would not call it an automatic, in that it does not continue to fire until the mag is empty or the trigger is released. (although they do have a true full-auto version).
BUT, can it legally be called a semi-auto? Isn't semi-auto one round per trigger pull? Here you have two per pull.
I'm thinking that legally it would be a burst rifle (what's the correct term?), and since it is not one round per one trigger pull it would fall under ATF "permission slip required" rules.

Third, for states that have ammo mag restrictions, would this configuration design end-around the restrictions? I.e. if the restriction is on the number on rounds in the mag, here you could have 2 separate mags at 10 rounds each for 20 total, BUT if the restriction is on number of rounds in the firearm then you are back to five in each to total 10 and not go over.

Thoughts?

Rusty Young Man

Does that mean that the double-barrel 1911 by Arsenal Firearms is also Class III? It comes with a single-spur, double-hammer, so I'm guessing the two triggers are also connected to give two shots per trigger pull.

Double-.45.png

Add.
I realize it's already cost-prohibitive, and I won't speak about taste (still not sure about this particular spin on the platform), but my curiosity has me itching to try one out.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Does that mean that the double-barrel 1911 by Arsenal Firearms is also Class III? It comes with a single-spur, double-hammer, so I'm guessing the two triggers are also connected to give two shots per trigger pull.
--snipped--
Available with either single or double triggers.

"The model with two triggers would be legal in the United States but the model with one trigger would be considered a machine gun (two rounds fired in one trigger pull). A version with one trigger that alternates between each hammer would be a lot more interesting in my opinion."
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/03/12/arsenal-double-barrel-1911/

DocWalker

Rusty Young Man

"The model with two triggers would be legal in the United States but the model with one trigger would be considered a machine gun (two rounds fired in one trigger pull). A version with one trigger that alternates between each hammer would be a lot more interesting in my opinion."

Two separate triggers going off at slightly different times on a gun with only one slide... I see a possibility for an out-of-battery kaboom.
Guess I'll have to settle for renting some range time with a single-trigger version then.

Sales: zero.

Who would even want one?

It would be an exclusively "just for fun" gun. Not unlike "BBQ guns" or so-called "Franken-guns".

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Dam my over and under shotgun can shoot both barrels with one trigger pull....I should expect the ATF soon I guess.
Had a side by side that did the same thing AND the receiver unlocked :eek:

Came back from that hunting trip with a new pump.

JoeSparky

Centurion
It is a Class III gun.

"A machine gun is any gun that can fire more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger,...."
http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/nfa_faqhtml.html#What_Is_An_NFA_Weapon

IMO - both barrels could be bolt action and it would still be Class III.

But, if it had or has 2 distinct triggers it would not be a Class III firearm PER US LAW! as it would only fire a single round per trigger pull with 2 rounds fired simultaneously for the simultaneous action of 2 triggers!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
But, if it had or has 2 distinct triggers it would not be a Class III firearm PER US LAW! as it would only fire a single round per trigger pull with 2 rounds fired simultaneously for the simultaneous action of 2 triggers!
Referring to the OP double barreled AR - it only has one trigger and fires a double tap with a single pull of the single trigger.

The double barrel 1911 from Arsenal Firearms is availble either way.

Please buy one of each and give us a detailed analysis :cool:

stealthyeliminator

I thought that numerous double barrel shotguns as well as Derringer-type pistols fired multiple shots through their own respective barrels from a single trigger pull. All of those weapons are machine guns?

DrakeZ07

Does this mean I have to sell my Dad's shotgun he left me upon his death, and been in the family since the 1940s, because it is a double-barreled shotgun, side-by-side, and can fire both rounds at the same time, while only having one trigger, but two hammers? If so, I know a lot of people who could face arrest/jail-time for owning class 3 weapons because of having such things that they, or their past-family bought here and there. What's the penalty for having a class 3 without licenses/Tax stamps? Should I just sell the shotgun? or do I need to turn it over to the State police?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Does this mean I have to sell my Dad's shotgun he left me upon his death, and been in the family since the 1940s, because it is a double-barreled shotgun, side-by-side, and can fire both rounds at the same time, while only having one trigger, but two hammers? If so, I know a lot of people who could face arrest/jail-time for owning class 3 weapons because of having such things that they, or their past-family bought here and there. What's the penalty for having a class 3 without licenses/Tax stamps? Should I just sell the shotgun? or do I need to turn it over to the State police?

Have the select trigger fixed.

We're from the ATF and we are here to help you.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I thought that numerous double barrel shotguns as well as Derringer-type pistols fired multiple shots through their own respective barrels from a single trigger pull. All of those weapons are machine guns?

http://www.antiquemystique.com/images/6378b.jpg

^^ 2 triggers

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/...ammerless-boxlock-double-barrel-shotgun-3.jpg

^^ single trigger (1 pull = one shot ~ you can select which one shoots first)

guess most folks never owned a double barrel ... some have single trigger that only shoots 1 barrel at a time ...

They are a hoot ...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Since the slide operates both actions at the same time, there is no way to do that practically. One round firing will attempt to extract and eject the loaded round in the other barrel as well, and with only half the recoil energy.

Sure it would be legal now, but really, really stupid.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...e-barrel-1911/

Since the slide operates both actions at the same time, there is no way to do that practically. One round firing will attempt to extract and eject the loaded round in the other barrel as well, and with only half the recoil energy.

Sure it would be legal now, but really, really stupid.
Don't shoot the messenger.

He never said it would be easy - maybe split the slide so that they can operate independently :p

When you care enough, give the [strike]best[/strike] rest. Double the pleasure, double the fun.

It's a twofer. Double slide lock. Twice the price, half the fun. You half to appreciate that.

Aknazer

Could they not link the triggers? That way when you pull one trigger it mechanically pulls the other. It would make sure that two triggers are pulled and that they both fire at the same time. Also depending on how the ATF defines a "trigger" they could just call the visible part an "actuator" or something with the technical triggers not being visible. Thus pulling the "actuator" pulls both technical triggers at the same time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Could they not link the triggers? That way when you pull one trigger it mechanically pulls the other. It would make sure that two triggers are pulled and that they both fire at the same time. Also depending on how the ATF defines a "trigger" they could just call the visible part an "actuator" or something with the technical triggers not being visible. Thus pulling the "actuator" pulls both technical triggers at the same time.
You've never played Truth or Dare with the ATF have you.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Supposedly that's what was done with the AF2011-A1. Then again, I still hear folks arguing over whether that thing is Class III.