• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Driving From WA to MI

dakatak87

Hey all,

I'm moving from Washington to Michigan in a few weeks. I'm looking into how I'll be able to Carry through;

Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan.
Traveling I90 essentially.

I am doing my own research but also thought that you fine folks could be more clear with understanding and experience.

I have a WA CPL
OC holster
CC holster

Thank you for your wisdom,
D

mnrobitaille

Hey all,

I'm moving from Washington to Michigan in a few weeks. I'm looking into how I'll be able to Carry through;

Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan.
Traveling I90 essentially.

I am doing my own research but also thought that you fine folks could be more clear with understanding and experience.

I have a WA CPL
OC holster
CC holster

Thank you for your wisdom,
D

Idaho has reciprocity with Washington. Illinois does not allow anyone except Illinois Residents with a FOID &, I am think also CPL, to carry. Indiana also has reciprocity with Washington State. Both North Dakota & Michigan also have reciprocity with Washington State, as does Wisconsin. Minnesota does not honor the Washington State CPL.

Wstar425

At one point I had read that one could travel thru Illinois and carry in your vehicle under the laws of your resident state. But, you CAN NOT leave the vehicle while carrying. I would do some further research on this, I have seen this in a posting from the Illinois State Police in the past. Travel in and around Chicago with a firearm at your own risk as they operate under their own rules there! Cities in Illinois can make their own rules, no state preemption. Illinois Highway Patrol has NO SENSE OF HUMOR, and I personally believe they actively look for out of state plates. I don't believe I would inform them I was carrying, nor would I exit my vehicle unless I was drug out.

As a Wisconsin resident who travels to Chicago weekly, might I make a suggestion. Depending on where you are going in Michigan, consider taking Hy 29 across Wisconsin to Green Bay and north to the Mac Bridge and avoid the Chicago/NW Indiana Zoo entirely! Much better scenery, and maybe a few hours longer IF you don't get caught in traffic. The farther north into Michigan you are going, the less out of route miles it will be. (Fringe benefit, you're a mile from me and I'll buy you supper if I'm home. Abbotsford)

If you don't want to do that consider staying as far out as you can. There is no real way to avoid I-80 across if you are going to Michigan, but look at coming in on I-90 to 290 to 355 south, 88 east to 294 south to 80 east and that keeps you out of the worst of it. Also consider getting an I-Pass or E-ZPass as that will save you from stopping at all the toll booths. Go thru Rockford instead of Milwaukee. Construction on I-90 in Illinois is done west of 290, Milwaukee is a mess. The 290 east to 294 east interchange near Berkeley is a disaster during any daylight hours, avoid at all cost. Too many things happening, too many trucks slowing things down. The whole area is really a crapshoot, traffic jams can happen anywhere, any time, for any reason.

Another option would be to take I-355 all the way south to I-80, about 15-20 minutes longer.

Or, take I-39 out of Rockford south to I-80 about 45 minutes longer.

Keep in mind it is very easy to waste 30-45 minutes in a traffic jam around Chicago, with no real way to see it coming. Pick your poison basically.

If I haven't been clear, I HATE Chicago! I spend absolutely NO money there except for tolls.
Fuel and food in Wisconsin before you leave. I've also found the restrooms along the Illinois toll system to be notoriously filthy.

Edit: There is also a ferry that travels from Manitowoc (south of Green Bay) to Ludington, MI. Not sure of winter schedule, and I think you need reservations, so maybe check that out, but don't just drive there and think you will get on.

https://www.ssbadger.com/

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

but look at coming in on I-90 to 290 to 355 south, 88 east to 294 south to 80 east and that keeps you out of the worst of it.

I travel to IN. a couple times a year I take the 39 to 88 to 355 to 80 route now it is well worth the extra minutes lots less traffic.

I also brought a I pass well worth the money also if one is doing it more then once.

Wstar425

but look at coming in on I-90 to 290 to 355 south, 88 east to 294 south to 80 east and that keeps you out of the worst of it.

I travel to IN. a couple times a year I take the 39 to 88 to 355 to 80 route now it is well worth the extra minutes lots less traffic.

I also brought a I pass well worth the money also if one is doing it more then once.

That's also a good option, (+20-25 minutes) I come back that way if it is getting much past noon as the 294 north to 290 west interchange is probably the worst one in the area! I-90 construction west of 290 just recently opened up and is now three lanes and 4 closer in. Other then morning rush that usually moves along now. When it was two lanes with barricades and no shoulders, bad bad bad.

All time estimates are compared to the SHORTEST route, thru downtown, as if you could travel without stopping, which is unlikely.

Basically, the farther out you stay the longer the route. But, usually a better chance of not having traffic issues. I've rolled thru the Loop and never touched the brakes, but I wouldn't count on it. If I have to be downtown and going east, the Skyway seems to be the best way to escape the madness.

If you can travel thru about 2 am usually good, but sometimes they are even doing construction then. It's just not a good place to be!

You "could" also run the toll booths without an I-Pass and then go online and pay your tolls.
Or, they will SEND you a bill!!!! Haha I don't actually recommend that! I think it's half price tolls with I-Pass. If I was going thru once and never coming back I might not bother, but it's also good for Indiana and Ohio TurnPike, so being in Michigan that might be helpful.

Last edited:

DeSchaine

Avoid Illinois at all costs. If you are stopped for some reason, have a firearm and any of the IL cops figure it out, you'll be detained for sure. Wstar's suggestion is a good one, if it hasn't snowed like crazy in the U.P. The bridge toll at the Mighty Mac is $4. The Ludington Ferry doesn't start up till May, so depending on when you're coming here, that may be a non-starter. It's also kinda expensive. $59 per adult and car.

Where will you be moving to here in MI?

Wstar425

Avoid Illinois at all costs. If you are stopped for some reason, have a firearm and any of the IL cops figure it out, you'll be detained for sure. Wstar's suggestion is a good one, if it hasn't snowed like crazy in the U.P. The bridge toll at the Mighty Mac is $4. The Ludington Ferry doesn't start up till May, so depending on when you're coming here, that may be a non-starter. It's also kinda expensive. $59 per adult and car.

Where will you be moving to here in MI?

I just looked, two people and a car $177.00, you are correct! Expensive!!! I took a semi across with co-driver in 1981 or 82 and it was only $110.00.

I draw a line from Muskegon to Detroit. If my destination is north of that I go over the bridge. Otherwise, grit my teeth.

Good suggestion, check weather before venturing into Michigan's UP. Snowstorms in mid May are not unheard of. Think Snoqualmie without the fear of sliding backwards off the mountain.

Last edited:

Va_Nemo

Be smart. Stop close to but not into IL. Gas up and put your weapon in the trunk. Hope you do not get stopped by the cops and do not stop to gas up, drain out or eat. Get in and out of IL as quickly as possible. Once out of IL stop at the rest stop and get your weapon out of the trunk.

You should be good in the rest of the states but IL is dangerous. Stay there as short a time as possible and give them IL as little money as possible.

Nemo

bc.cruiser

At one point I had read that one could travel thru Illinois and carry in your vehicle under the laws of your resident state. But, you CAN NOT leave the vehicle while carrying. I would do some further research on this, I have seen this in a posting from the Illinois State Police in the past. Travel in and around Chicago with a firearm at your own risk as they operate under their own rules there! Cities in Illinois can make their own rules, no state preemption. Illinois Highway Patrol has NO SENSE OF HUMOR, and I personally believe they actively look for out of state plates. I don't believe I would inform them I was carrying, nor would I exit my vehicle unless I was drug out.

You are thinking of the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986, which amended the Gun Control Act of 1968.

18 USC 926A: Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Wstar425

http://www.illinoisgunpros.com/illinois-concealed-carry-for-non-residents/

Actually, I was thinking of something like this. I realize this is not law, and may very well be an interpretation of what you posted. Still, I would not tell any Illinois LE that I had a firearm in my vehicle unless I had no other options. Nor would I exit my vehicle unless I had no other options.

I just did a quick search for this, one can find similar at other places. Travelers should research for themselves and not take my or these people's word for gospel, or law. Most of Illinois is farming community with good people. Short of looking for trouble in a bad part of Chicago, you would be fine. I'm in parts of Chicago where I would absolutely not spend the night, and I've had no real issues. Other than that, I don't go there for pleasure but I do know people that go to Chicago for a weekend or vacation, and love it.

JustaShooter

http://www.illinoisgunpros.com/illinois-concealed-carry-for-non-residents/

Actually, I was thinking of something like this. I realize this is not law,

Actually, I believe it is IL law. See 430 ILCS 66/40(e)
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:

(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39

Wstar425

Right!!

The law wording is listed under GunPro's breakdown, I just wasn't sure how many would go there. Thanks for posting directly. That seems fairly clear, last summer since I looked at in detail. I actually OCed thru Illinois, in my car, not visible from outside really. Maybe that was a mistake? I do my best to not stand out there. (Don't think car carry OC in Wisconsin needs to be hashed out here other than I carried as I could in my home state, with CCL)

Only a couple of states can get an Illinois non resident Carry License because nobody has anything with substantionaly similar characteristics to their monstrosity of a law. I've talked to a few Illinois residents with a carrry license from Ill. Nobody from Chicago. This was normally because I was open carry and they were asking me about it.

So, maybe out of state travelers thru Illinois should carry concealed? If you were asked to step out of your car for some reason by LE that would then make you illegal. Or, you would have to disarm in your car in front of said LE. Neither of those options thrill me too much.

Wonder if the OP is ever coming back?

Last edited:

dakatak87

Thanks for all the info. My trip went well for the most part.

I got a 2 hr late start, slept on the back seat of my truck a few times, gave all my money to Illinois troll(I mean toll) roads, and had run low on coolant just past the halfway point.

I had my pistol on me at all times CC. I watched my speeds and payed careful attention to construction traps (er.. zones). I topped off with gas and took a rest stop just before Illinois so I wouldn't have to stop. I chose to take the risk and follow the section of Illinois code allowing a non-resident to travel CC provided it remains in the vehicle.

I have a new respect for my Wife who has driven that a couple times now.

In hindsight the one thing I realistically should have done different is get an I-pass. I think I ended up paying 33.65 to get through Illinois and into Indiana. The I90 sky bridge was $17.70 of that! It didn't help that I had a uhaul trailer (or a 3rd axle as they want to call it)

Wstar425

So you elected to take the shortest route, right thru the big city? That probably saved you money overall.

How was the traffic? I think they have been fixing the Skyway since about the day after they opened it!!

Glad you had a good trip! It's a BIG country, most people have no idea what 2500 miles really is until they drive it.

Last edited:

Va_Nemo

Glad you had a good trip! It's a BIG country, most people have no idea what 2500 miles really is until they drive it.

So accurate. Couple years back I went from South Ga west to the Grand Canyon and other places going and headed back east.

I-10 in Texas is long. There is nothing like a sign saying Exit somenumber is 5 miles ahead. As approaching there are no more until Exit somenumber 1/4 mile with Little Town red right 20couple miles sign pointing north and Little Town Blue 30couple miles sing pointing south.

From being east of the Appalachians for 50 years, I am used to Gas, Food Lodging signs at near every exit and Red to the right 2 miles and Blue to the left 1/2 mile. Lots of space out west there. If you have not been there, you owe yourself the trip. I am going back in next summer or 2.

Nemo

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I'm glad JustaShoota posted up correct information in IL before the trip. I live pretty close to IL and travel to/through IL somewhat frequently. It used to be rather concerning no matter how at firearms were transported and horror stories about IL LEO overreach on firearms before the new law were a dime a dozen. Since the current law passed I have not heard of issues from anyone who follows it. The current law does seem rather dumb though as it encourages non-residents to be prepared to travel continuously through IL and not stop and engage in economic activity.

JustaShooter

Glad I was able to help, deepdiver. It's certainly not ideal, but at least it provides a mechanism that allows a person to legally have the means to protect themselves while traveling through IL.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Glad I was able to help, deepdiver. It's certainly not ideal, but at least it provides a mechanism that allows a person to legally have the means to protect themselves while traveling through IL.
Its also made traveling through the Midwest oh so much more convenient. True story ... About 10 years ago I had to travel from St Louis to central IN. So following all the rules, sidearm was unloaded, locked in a case with ammo locked in a separate case, yada yada. Well, on I-64, just a few miles into IN from IL there is a rest area. I'm parked in the rest area and go to the back of the SUV, unlock cases, get my holster, regular drill. As I'm doing this I happen to look over to the right and that guy looks to be doing the same thing. I look to the left and see 2 open trunks with people doing the same thing. We all start looking at each other and start smiling and laughing. By the time this is all done there were 5 cars of travelers at that IN rest stop on a Saturday morning who were arming themselves after traveling through the no man land of IL.