• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Education

gprod55

imported post

Before open carry can be given there should be an educational program in the high schools. Along with the program there should be an evaluation by a shrink to prevent mass shootings by a child with probelms. Back in the 60's I attended the California Cadet Corps. Similiar to The ROTC in high schools. In this program we were taught how to maintain and shoot longarms safely. This type of program can be taught to Senior high school students and knowing that you can learn weapons will help keep the students in school longer. Our small caliber range and armory was located in the basement of our school. We also maintained the M1 Garand. We used the Marine Corps range at Pendleton for live fire. Educationis a must for open carry of a deadly weapon. Although most high schools teach driver education to students and automobiles kill more people then guns.

okboomer

imported post

gprod55 wrote:
Before open carry can be given there should be an educational program in the high schools. Along with the program there should be an evaluation by a shrink to prevent mass shootings by a child with probelms. Back in the 60's I attended the California Cadet Corps. Similiar to The ROTC in high schools. In this program we were taught how to maintain and shoot longarms safely. This type of program can be taught to Senior high school students and knowing that you can learn weapons will help keep the students in school longer. Our small caliber range and armory was located in the basement of our school. We also maintained the M1 Garand. We used the Marine Corps range at Pendleton for live fire. Educationis a must for open carry of a deadly weapon. Although most high schools teach driver education to students and automobiles kill more people then guns.
As minors are prohibited from carrying firearms, please explain why there would be a need for such an educational program?

Mental health evaluations would not prevent school shootings. In the last few school shootings: A) Eric & Derrek were persecuted by bullies at school and repeated pleas to authorities did no good, guns were supplied to the minors by adult illegally; B) Virginia Tech, man was derranged and school officials conspired to not report as was required by VA law; C) recent episode in CA was again a case of in-school bullying that was not addressed by school officials; D) Amish school shooting - man was convicted felon and therefore was in possession of the firearm illegally.

Gprod55: are you even a resident of Oklahoma? If not, then your opinion is irrelevant here and should be posted in a different place in the forum ... like under your home state perhaps.

cheers ~~ okboomer

gprod55

imported post

Yes I do. I live in the country, 3 miles east of Lake Thunderbird in Little Axe, Ok. This is my State of Residence and has been since the early 70's. I learned a great deal about the use and handleing of weapons while in High School. This is a good time to mold the thoughts and actions of children that will make them understand the use of a leathel weapon. The program I was trained under in high school was Californias equivalent of the ROTC. They have driver education programs in high schools and auto's kill more people then guns do. Back in the late 50's and early 60's gun laws weren't that restrictive. I used to walk up the street and into canyons carrying a rifle over my shoulder to hunt jack rabbits in Southern California. When I went thru there last year the places I used to hunt are now full of homes. As for children being bullied in schools nowadays that is a problem that the schools need to address and can be met by better control of the student population with more exposure of the teachers in the hallways during class exchange, during lunch periods, etc. Paying more attention to student complaints about other students bullying them. Removal of bullies to a separate school where they can all be clumped together and better control can be kept. Removal of known gang leaders and members to thistype of school will go a long way to prevent drugs and violence in the school systems. Channeling their aggression to something that is more constructive will go long way to making them into useful citizens. The use of tasersfor self defense by the teachers is an alternative to being submissive to threats given by the bullies and their gangs. When you take away the threat then you can have students and teachers more willing to learn and teach. Too many parents have lost control over their children. Their inability because they are afraid of the child abuse laws of today to control them.(I'm a firm believer in a controled spanking.) Teaching a child of right from wrong is the responsibility of the parent not the school systems. I'm sorry to say that most parents have failed in raising their children to respect the rights of others. This can and must be corrected. Arrrgh let climb down off my soapbox.

Bullbuster

imported post

WhileI feel no permit should be issued to CC or OC. I know some states will allow you to do both if you have a permit. While I'd be happy with just being able to OC in OK. I wouldn't complain too much if it was passed under the permit rule so one could do both.

If that was the case then the education/ classroom requirements currentlyrequired for a CC permit should be just fine to cover the OC aspect of carry. If not add to the course content to make it so.

Everywhere you go you will find people on both sides of the fence of the whole carry in general, CC, and OC. There are allot the feel OC is wrong and CC is the way to go. We are all supporters of the 2nd so why not back each other up. The method of carry shouldn't have anything to do with it as long as one has the right to carry in the first place. Its just like the arguments on whats a better gun for carry and what caliber is better. Who cares what gun you carry be it a no name or a high dollar name brand, a .380 or a .44.

We can all agree on one thing and that's shot placement and the ability to handle the weapon of carryeffectively.

gprod55

imported post

I partially agree with you, but the cc program isn't long enough. To be more effective more time should be spent on the range learning the proper techniques of shot placement. This would prevent someone else from getting hurt. Like the person standing behind him across the street when you miss your target and hit a bystander. Not good. The boy scouts have a program that starts the youngsters out with BB and Pellet guns at an early age, teaching safety above all else. Graduating to larger calibers as their age progress'. This program can be and should be expanded to the school systems. Teaching our children at a younger age not only teaches them safty but also teaches them to respect the weapons. You dont hear about any scouts going into their classrooms and start shooting their fellow students and teachers. I'm a firm believer in starting them early with education and safty.

Bullbuster

imported post

Aside from my dad and brothers growing up and shooting with them it was the BSA that I also learned allot from when getting my rifle and shotgun badge's. But I have also been an RSO for both a civilian trap/ skeet range and military police range.

I do get really PO'd at gun shops and gun shows when I see people just pointing in all directions with a weapon they just picked up. I have no problems saying something to them as well about it. It has made some irritated and other actually think about muzzle direction.

Seems common sense isn't so common with some.

gprod55

imported post

Now you understand my strong belief in education beginning at a young age. Training them properly goes a long way for each individual to be allowed to open carry at the proper age and training them also will add favorable voters for the 2nd ammendment as they become voting age. There are many perks along the way for training people earlier. The military aspect comes to mind. The prevention of countries willing to do us harm knowing that everyone is carrying a gun, or knows how to handle one. After confiscating all the guns in england just before ww2 the US had to ask for american donations of long guns and handguns to be sent to the british public for home defense. There also was one of the japanese admirals that made a statement to attack the mainland of the US would no be feasable because there were too many guns that the public owned. To me training is upmost.