• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax County Police make false arrest

Deanimator

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
They can't be fired for a gross act of false arrest? That seems odd. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying it's odd.
I have never seen a cop fired for a false arrest. In one particular false arrest that I am familiar with, a rookiecop wasn't even fired after he went to the magistrate's office 4 hours after the false arrest and lied under oath to the magistrate in order to obtain the false arrest warrants. The 4 hour delay was because the cop realized he had screwed up big time and actually made a false arrest. When he could find no other legitimate crime to charge the person with, there was nothing left to do but lie on the original false arrest charge. After the lawsuits were filed and the truth was revealed, he wasn't even fired then.

Although, had the lawsuits actually gone to court, rather than an out of court settlement, I think the public would have demanded this cop's head served up on a silver platter for his perjury. If you understand where I am going with this, this is why so many out of court settlements take place. The police chief didn't want this lawsuit being heard before a jury with the media sitting on the front row taking notes for the next day's newspaper story.

Just so this tale doesn't leave a bad taste in everybody's mouths, the sergeant on duty was my brother-in-law. He was later terminated after 20+ years on the job. He knew it was a false arrest as it was taking place and did nothing to intervene and make things right as his rookie was jumping off this cliff without a parachute.

These things are why I'm absolutely immoveable on two points:

1. I don't believe in settlements in these sorts of cases unless the terms are SO humiliating that they're as good as a judgement. I don't want to hear crap about the city or department "not admitting liability". No sweat, since a judgement takes care of that nicely. Half the murderers in this country don't admit liability either. I'll have a piece of paper CERTIFYING that the guilty parties are in fact the guilty parties.

2. I will NEVER, EVER sign ANY settlement with a non-disclosure clause in it. NEVER. Anybody who thinks they're going to violate my 4th or 5th Amendment rights, then give them written PERMISSION to violate my 1st Amendment rights is smoking catfood. We'll go to trial or have a gunfight for all I care. I'll DIE before I sign such a contract of adhesion. GUARANTEED.

And in examples of gross officer misconduct, I'll find a way to sue the individual if at all humanly possible. The guilty party shouldn't expect to just tiptoe offstage whistling nervously.

rob99vmi04

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
They can't be fired for a gross act of false arrest? That seems odd. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying it's odd.
I have never seen a cop fired for a false arrest. In one particular false arrest that I am familiar with, a rookiecop wasn't even fired after he went to the magistrate's office 4 hours after the false arrest and lied under oath to the magistrate in order to obtain the false arrest warrants. The 4 hour delay was because the cop realized he had screwed up big time and actually made a false arrest. When he could find no other legitimate crime to charge the person with, there was nothing left to do but lie on the original false arrest charge. After the lawsuits were filed and the truth was revealed, he wasn't even fired then.

Although, had the lawsuits actually gone to court, rather than an out of court settlement, I think the public would have demanded this cop's head served up on a silver platter for his perjury. If you understand where I am going with this, this is why so many out of court settlements take place. The police chief didn't want this lawsuit being heard before a jury with the media sitting on the front row taking notes for the next day's newspaper story.

Just so this tale doesn't leave a bad taste in everybody's mouths, the sergeant on duty was my brother-in-law. He was later terminated after 20+ years on the job. He knew it was a false arrest as it was taking place and did nothing to intervene and make things right as his rookie was jumping off this cliff without a parachute.
These things are why I'm absolutely immoveable on two points:

1. I don't believe in settlements in these sorts of cases unless the terms are SO humiliating that they're as good as a judgement. I don't want to hear crap about the city or department "not admitting liability". No sweat, since a judgement takes care of that nicely. Half the murderers in this country don't admit liability either. I'll have a piece of paper CERTIFYING that the guilty parties are in fact the guilty parties.

2. I will NEVER, EVER sign ANY settlement with a non-disclosure clause in it. NEVER. Anybody who thinks they're going to violate my 4th or 5th Amendment rights, then give them written PERMISSION to violate my 1st Amendment rights is smoking catfood. We'll go to trial or have a gunfight for all I care. I'll DIE before I sign such a contract of adhesion. GUARANTEED.

And in examples of gross officer misconduct, I'll find a way to sue the individual if at all humanly possible. The guilty party shouldn't expect to just tiptoe offstage whistling nervously.
Fairfax, aint going to fire them....
Heck a SWAT cop Shot and KILLED an unarmed MAN with his handson the stearing wheel.2 years ago in Chantilly! Wasn't he a Pediatrist. That was gross negligence at its worst. Cop had finger on trigger hit trigger Dr. Dead. I don't think they fired him I think hes still on the job. If that had been you or me we would be rotting in jail!

Deanimator

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
Heck a SWAT cop Shot and KILLED an unarmed MAN with his handson the stearing wheel.2 years ago in Chantilly! Wasn't he a Pediatrist. That was gross negligence at its worst. Cop had finger on trigger hit trigger Dr. Dead. I don't think they fired him I think hes still on the job. If that had been you or me we would be rotting in jail!
If anybody ever does that to a relative of mine, they'll wish they'd done it to me instead. At that point it's the law of the vendetta, no quarter asked, none given. I'll do EVERYTHING humanly possible within the law to destroy the perpetrator. They'd find out that you really CAN "hound someone to their grave".

A Chicago cop did that back in 2002 or 2003. He owes some part of a $12.5million judgement for the survivors. If it were me, god help him if he's a second late on a payment. I'd attach the refrigerator carton he's living in. You can't get a pound of flesh... but you can come close.

Glock27Bill

imported post

I will NEVER, EVER sign ANY settlement with a non-disclosure clause in it. NEVER. Anybody who thinks they're going to violate my 4th or 5th Amendment rights, then give them written PERMISSION to violate my 1st Amendment rights is smoking catfood.
I've often said the same thing myself.

"Here's a check to make you go away and keep the public ignorant of the way their government behaves. Oh, and Have a Nice Day."

Carnage_59

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
I direct your attention to the example of the Chicago PD. The city routinely pays out in settlements and judgements for police misconduct, amounts that look like the operating budget of a lot of suburbs and towns. Yet, the conduct of the Chicago PD hasn't moderated in ANY way in years. In fact, it's getting worse. Daley just keeps raising taxes (highest sales taxes in the NATION) to pay for that and his other pratfalls.

If on the other hand, officers who misbehave face the loss of their livelihood through firing, or impoverishment through being sued as individuals, there's a deterrence factor. If a bad cop knows he's not going to be fired, why should he care how much the city spends to settle a lawsuit? In a lot of places, he won't even pay the raised taxes, since he can live outside the jurisdiction.

There have to be consequences to the INDIVIDUAL who misbehaves, otherwise there's no reason for him to stop.

I grew up in Illinois and the Chicago PD has a reputation lower than owl crap in Illinois and Indiana. When I got my drivers' license in the 1970s my father told me that if I ever find myself drviving in Chicago I need to take two things: a paper clip and a $20 bill. I would attach the $20 bill to the back of my drivers' license so in case I got pulled over in Chicago the officer would give me my license back. If I didn't have the $20 bill on there, I'd never see my license again. It would be "lost".

My mother got a ticket from the Chicago PD in the mail for improper lane usage. The funny thing is the day of the alleged offense, Mom and her car were in Montana!!!! The local police in my home town took care of the ticket. Cops in Chicago get promoted based on the number of tickets they write.

While I'm talking about the Chicago PD, they are the BEST gun dealer in Illinois. If you know the right cop, follow him after work on a Friday or Saturday night.... and you'll find a treasure trove of artillery. :shock:

Deanimator

imported post

Carnage_59 wrote:
While I'm talking about the Chicago PD, they are the BEST gun dealer in Illinois. If you know the right cop, follow him after work on a Friday or Saturday night.... and you'll find a treasure trove of artillery. :shock:
I've read that Medzianowski, the one who ran the drug ring, used to hand out duffle bags full of ammunition to gang members he dealt with.

Carnage_59

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Carnage_59 wrote:
I've read that Medzianowski, the one who ran the drug ring, used to hand out duffle bags full of ammunition to gang members he dealt with.

Aboutfour months afterMayor Daley of Chicago sued the suburban gun dealers outside of Chicago for allegedly running guns into Chicago, the FBI busted six Chicago cops and two ATF agents for running about 80% of the gun black market in the city.

Most of those guns were guns that were previously seized in busts. (No, not these kinds of busts (o)(o) or these (*)(*) or those either (^)(^) but maybe these (.)(.))The rest were stolen guns.

Illinois is a very restrictive state on guns. Not only are handguns registered, so are gun owners. One must have a Firearm Owners' ID card to possess a gun in Illinois. That's why I won't live in that pit anymore.

Deanimator

imported post

Carnage_59 wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
Carnage_59 wrote:

Aboutfour months afterMayor Daley of Chicago sued the suburban gun dealers outside of Chicago for allegedly running guns into Chicago, the FBI busted six Chicago cops and two ATF agents for running about 80% of the gun black market in the city.

Most of those guns were guns that were previously seized in busts. (No, not these kinds of busts (o)(o) or these (*)(*) or those either (^)(^) but maybe these (.)(.))The rest were stolen guns.

Illinois is a very restrictive state on guns. Not only are handguns registered, so are gun owners. One must have a Firearm Owners' ID card to possess a gun in Illinois. That's why I won't live in that pit anymore.

Do you have a link to the bust involving the BATFE? I hadn't heard of it and I collect such information. I was aware of a situation involving no-bid contracts by BATF(E) in Chicago for fleet vehicle repiars and a mob connected repair shop that was recommended by Chicago cops who were detailed to work with BATF(E).

I'm from Chicago, so I'm well aware of the laws there. I'm also aware of the double standards regarding enforcement and prosecutions, especially "Gun Court". Friends of Daley don't even get that far. John Kass in the Chicago Tribune recently wrote of a Daley flunky who was caught with a concealed, unregistered handgun WITH THE SERIAL NUMBERS DEFACED. A phone call was made downtown and he was released... WITH THE GUN.

ufcfanvt

imported post

I too would like to see the citizens of Chicago liberate themselves, guns blazing, deposing the despots, etc, etc, etc.

Now what about all that stuff that happened to the guy from NC who had just about all of his civil right violated in Fairfax Co. the other day?:lol: