• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Aknazer

No, there's not. I was going to ask you what the difference is, but this time you're so unequivocally wrong I'm not going to play any games.

lol.

While we're playing games:

.9mm? Hah! Talk about a tiny gun.

And Kel Tek? Who's that? Presumably you're referring to Kel-Tec. :p

Were you the poster whose status as a bona fide firearms instructor I recently questioned? :lol:

I would say if he wasn't planning on "catching" or attacking him (catching to me sounds like following+restraining and not simply following) then he wasn't pursuing, simply following. Since we want to play semantic word games and all.

wrightme

No, there's not. I was going to ask you what the difference is, but this time you're so unequivocally wrong I'm not going to play any games.

No, "follow" is NOT 'pursue.'

Your dictionary diving shows that "pursue" uses "follow" as an element, which does not make them synonyms. You are reaching.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
No, "follow" is NOT 'pursue.'

Your dictionary diving shows that "pursue" uses "follow" as an element, which does not make them synonyms. You are reaching.

:rolleyes:

Uh huh.

They are synonyms. Get over it.

Can you guess what the first entry in my thesaurus is for both words?

At least play semantic games when you have a leg to stand on. I'm not reaching; I didn't try to claim that synonyms aren't. Y'all are the ones "reaching". "Oh, well, they aren't synonyms, because, see, right there, the dictionary says 'catch!'"

There should be a "dumbest argument of the week" award for OCDO. You'd win handily. I'd be runner up for dignifying your desperate attempt to have a point with a response.

Last edited:

wrightme

Uh huh.

At least play semantic games when you have a leg to stand on. I'm not reaching; I didn't try to claim that synonyms aren't. Y'all are the ones "reaching". "Oh, well, they aren't synonyms, because, see, right there, the dictionary says 'catch!'"

Actually, there is a large difference between the words as used in context, no matter how you try to twist it to fit your desire. You can 'follow' without 'pursuing.'

marshaul said:
There should be a "dumbest argument of the week" award for OCDO. You'd win handily. I'd be runner up for dignifying your desperate attempt to have a point with a response.
By resorting to the ad hom argument, you have already admitted defeat.

Last edited:

Daylen

The 911 operator is the same general group that tells people to curl up in fetal position or run out of their own home instead of defend it. 911 operators opinions and orders are meaningless and pathetic.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

So, stating that there is not a difference isn't claiming they are the same? Odd.

What on earth are you talking about? I said they were the same. And then I said there was no difference. Your point being...?

I see you resorted to the ad hom argument against ccwinstructor also. Your position is shaky when you keep attacking the person instead of countering the argument.

Hardly an "ad hominem". What you see there is my responding to semantics with more of the same, in an obviously ribbing fashion (see those emoticons).

I mean, one doesn't have to understand SI units or know how to spell "Kel-Tec" to be a concealed carry instructor, obviously. Good grief.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Actually, there is a large difference between the words as used in context, no matter how you try to twist it to fit your desire. You can 'follow' without 'pursuing.'

Oh yeah? And how, pray tell, would one accomplish that, seeing as they are the same thing, especially in this context? Since you're so adamant you're right, prove it.

I'd point out that your declaring ad hominem is itself an ad hominem, especially in consideration of the lack of any evidence or reason to support your claim. You've offered me blind assertion, and then claimed you're obviously right because my argument must be wrong because I resorted to an ad hominem. (See? That's an ad hominem itself. You haven't made a supported argument, but simply declared that my position must be wrong because of a flaw in my argument style.) By your logic, obviously I'm right because you're the last person to resort to "ad hominem" (by your definition, not mine). ;)

Explain to the good members of this forum how one can "follow" with pursuing. And make it good.

By resorting to the ad hom argument, you have already admitted defeat.

I believe that would qualify as an "ad argumentum", which I just had to make up. I called the argument dumb (which it is), not the man. People aren't stupid, but their arguments can be (see the three of us).

Or if you're referring to my comments about ccwinstructor, as I've said, they were (quite obviously) not intended to be a serious argument.

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

Uh huh.

You're quite emotionally animated in this arguement Marshaul, which is unusual for you. Just an observation, but a case like this is difficult not to have strong feelings. That would make one inhuman.

With my extreme distrust of the leftist racist media I waited a while to comment on this. I looked for any credible evidence available that would make Trayvon Martin (RIP) even slightly culpable in his own demise. He clearly was not. We discussed it today at work, and "Brother Reggie" (a black conservative) holds "his people" to a higher standard. In every case like this that we've discussed we've always agreed that the "victim" was being exploited by race baiters. In this case it's obvious this young fellow was being chased down by an over zealous self absorbed "crime fighter" with racial animosity appointed by some incompetent neighborhood watch people.

So with all the evidence I've seen and heard, it seems likely to me that Mr Martin was the one defending himself, but ended up brining a fist to a gunfight he didn't initiate. Mr Zimmerman gave ALL OF US a bloody nose here IMO.

What isn't addressed in any of this is the killing of black teenagers almost everyday somewhere in America by other black teenagers. White people murdered by black people aside from all of that, these major cities dominated by leftwing political hacks that insist they know everything can't stop black kids from killing black kids? As tragic as the death of Mr Martin is, it's going to be exploited by the same vacuous agitators who's inane policies are responsible for the deaths of thousands of black people across the country.

Of course I'm a racist for pointing it out.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
You tried to say you didn't claim they were synonyms, yet you claim they are the same. That is silly. :rolleyes:

I never said any such thing. This is perilously close to calling me a liar. Back up your claim.

No, they are not the same thing in this context. They are very different.

So you've said.

As I've pointed out, you've offered nothing in defense of this claim other than assertion.

Defend it. Explain the difference. Do not merely assert.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
You're quite emotionally animated in this arguement Marshaul, which is unusual for you.

I'm animated because I woke up from a well-deserved nap (two calculus tests back-to-back today) to find myself faced with ridiculous, undefended claims. I should have let it drop. It's clear that Wrightme, knowing he can't prove his argument, is unprepared to defend it, and has decided to "win" by doing what he's claiming I'm doing (i.e. offering nothing in support but an attack on one's opponent's style of debate), the hypocrisy of which I find quite irritating right now.

Last edited:

wrightme

I never said any such thing. This is perilously close to calling me a liar. Back up your claim.

I see that you had a poorly crafted sentence that I misread, you didn't say they weren't synonyms.

But, given the difference already stated by another as to 'follow' and 'pursue,' I stand by the claim that they are NOT the same, in the context of this thread.

You are choosing the 'syn' use as opposed to a 'rel' use so your position seems correct, but there isn't actual evidence to support that position that he was 'pursuing.'

Yes, he might have been actually in pursuit, but so far, that is only conjecture from the actual facts presented. Much of the conjecture is from the family and the lawyer, NOT from those actually near the scene.

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I'm animated because I woke up from a well-deserved nap (two calculus tests back-to-back today) to find myself faced with ridiculous, undefended claims. I should have let it drop. It's clear that Wrightme, knowing he can't prove his argument, is unprepared to defend it, and has decided to "win" by doing what he's claiming I'm doing (i.e. offering nothing in support but an attack on one's opponent's style of debate), the hypocrisy of which I find quite irritating right now.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I use it for a rag.

wrightme

No, what is clear is that you will resort to dictionary and thearus, choosing your definitions and synonym use to support your chosen outcome, as opposed to reviewing facts to arrive at an accurate outcome. Presenting conclusions based upon conjecture might arrive at an eventual accurate statement, but it does not show proof of accuracy. And, this is exactly what the family's lawyer is doing; planting the seed of doubt by presenting a plausible scenario to arrive at his desired outcome, sans actual facts.

He (and you) are using bare conjecture to shift public opinion to the desired outcome, as opposed to allowing the justice system to do their job.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I use it for a rag.

:lol:

I'm sure that once I'm done with my homework (due in an hour and 15 minutes) I'll be in a much better mood.

This is one of those weeks that just needs to end. Way too much to deal with.

And I have a new reloading press (Hornady LnL AP) which I haven't even been able to play with yet. :cry:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
No, what is clear is that you will resort to dictionary and thearus, choosing your definitions and synonym use to support your chosen outcome, as opposed to reviewing facts to arrive at an accurate outcome. Presenting conclusions based upon conjecture might arrive at an eventual accurate statement, but it does not show proof of accuracy.

Still resorting to the ad hominems, rather than offering a single shred of supporting reasoning or evidence? At least my dictionary is a shred. Where's yours?

I thought that was tantamount to admitting defeat. :lol: By your measure we both lose big time.

Thanks for that. Your inanity right then really lightened my mood. I'm no longer annoyed by the hypocrisy.

Oh, and by the way, I never claimed to offer proof. I have, on the other hand, claimed to not have faced a single defended counterclaim. That's better evidence than my dictionary, I'd say.

I'm still waiting for you to:

A: prove that I said what you claim I said

and,

B: explain how one may "follow" without "pursuing"

Last edited:

wrightme

Still resorting to the ad hominems, rather than offering a single shred of supporting reasoning or evidence?

I thought that was tantamount to admitting defeat.

Thanks for that. Your inanity right then really helped my mood. Actually feeling better now. :lol:

Nothing in there is even remotely ad hom.

You have presented no facts from the case, just conjecture based upon your chosen synonym use.